Indian historian's praise of Gandhi meets opposition

Indian historian and writer Ramachandra Guha praised Mohandas Gandhi to a packed Foxboro Auditorium in Kassar House last night. The talk, titled "Why Does Gandhi Still Matter?" turned into a lively discourse when students challenged perspectives Guha presented.

Described by students as "energetic" and "animated," Guha outlined the reasons in his hour-long talk why Gandhi - the famous Indian political and spiritual leader who died more than 60 years ago - remains relevant today. About 75 people attended the event.

Guha is a MacArthur Fellow and has recently been named one of the top 100 public intellectuals in the magazine "Foreign Policy." He is also the author of a book about the history of India after Gandhi's death and a columnist in major Indian newspapers.

Guha categorized Gandhi as a freedom fighter, social reformer, religious pluralist and futurist. He likened Gandhi's political efforts to those of Ho Chi Minh in Vietnam and Nelson Mandela in South Africa.

Praising him as an innovative activist, Guha cited Gandhi's "novel techniques," like satyagraha, or nonviolent resistance as a method of peaceful civil disobedience. He also lauded Gandhi's ecumenical outlook, saying, "The world needs Gandhi's religious message more than ever."

Gandhi's legacy has universal appeal, Guha said - Gandhi is "not merely" an Indian figure. Guha cited Richard Attenborough's Academy Award-winning movie "Gandhi" as evidence of this.

Guha also referred to Time magazine's admiration for Gandhi as an example of his influence on society. In 1998, Time ranked Gandhi as the second-greatest person of the 20th century, behind physicist Albert Einstein and tied with President Franklin Roosevelt. Guha said he would imagine Einstein to have been "deeply embarrassed" by Time's decision, since Einstein greatly admired Gandhi - even calling him a "role model for the generations to come," according to Guha.

Guha pointed out that Gandhi dealt with tough opposition throughout his life. Major critics Guha cited were secularists, Hindu and Muslim radicals, revolutionaries and Marxists.

After the lecture, 40 minutes were devoted to questions. Many students challenged Guha's effusive praise of Gandhi, claiming that Guha, like many Westerners, had "romanticized" Gandhi's life.

One student accused Guha of contributing to the "hegemony of Gandhi."

Guha replied by saying that although Gandhi was "not always correct," he achieved "far more" than any of his contemporaries.

For example Gandhi amended the oppressive Indian caste system, Guha said. "No human has done more to delegitimize untouchability than Gandhi," he said.

Though some students disagreed with Guha's claims, those interviewed by The Herald complimented his quick wit, intelligence and interaction with the audience.

"I liked how he defended himself," Chinmaya Kulkarni '11 said. "It was a great debate."

Thirii Myint '11 said she was impressed by the "overall quality" of students' questions and Guha's responses.

The talk was presented with support from the South Asian Students Association, the Department of Anthropology, the Watson Institute for International Studies and Dean of the Faculty Rajiv Vohra P'07.