Simmons tells parents not to worry

Parents and students gathered on the Main Green under a cloudless sky Sunday morning to hear President Ruth Simmons speak about Brown's commitment to financial aid. The "Hour with the President" was one of this year's culminating Family Weekend events. Simmons addressed the need for a University-wide cutback, and in response to a question from a parent, also told the audience of mostly first-year parents that she is planning to talk to the Corporation about reducing her executive compensation for her work.

In the midst of the current economic emergency, many parents and students may be worried about their ability to finance a college education. But Simmons repeatedly stressed Brown's effort to sustain academic programs and lessen the financial burden for families.

"Regardless of issues we face in the coming years," she said, "your students will find different opportunities to develop their original ideas, find different avenues for achievement and explore the depths of their talent and character."

She cited the continued pursuit of new faculty appointments, efforts to improve the New Curriculum by adding courses with a community service component and continued alumni commitment to job networking for graduating seniors as evidence of Brown's commitment to its students and their future.

Simmons also emphasized the importance of the financial aid program, especially given the current economic situation.

"Our first commitment is to keep our students here. That's number one," she said.

Simmons also spoke about the continued fund-raising effort that allows the University to offer an education to students who otherwise would not be able to come to Brown.

Having students from different backgrounds, she said, enables everyone to experience new ideas about issues ranging from politics to religion to race.

"This diversity," she said, "provides a laboratory for living unlike any they are likely to experience subsequently. We hope they take advantage of this opportunity to learn something of the beautiful yet shallow complexity of the world."

Simmons said, in response to a parent's question, that she is planning on talking to the Corporation about reducing her own compensation because "it's very important to set the pace" among university leaders on financial initiatives.

Another parent asked Simmons where funds for financial aid would come from as families have less money to pay Brown.

Provost David Kertzer '69 P'95 P'98 stepped in to say that the University has begun to budget more money for struggling families.

Simmons later said that administrators are trying to examine small, unnecessary costs.

For example, she said, "I was very disappointed to cancel an event that was scheduled for Monday that would have been a really wonderful event."

"But it was not a necessary event," she said, adding that the funding could be better spent elsewhere.

"I always say that our responsibility to our students is to have a public face that demonstrates that we are concerned about everyone," Simmons said.

Kathleen Sheehy P'12, mother of Julia Sheehy-Chan '12, said after the talk that she appreciated Simmons' comments about the dire financial situation.

"Her sincerity sort of exudes from her," said Bruce Main P'12, father of Calvin Main '12.

"It's comforting and reassuring to know there's someone at the head of our institution that cares about our children."