Prov. artists discuss city's cultural future

Nearly 50 Providence musicians, dancers, actors, painters and photographers gathered Tuesday to discuss ways to enhance public involvement in the arts. The forum, held at Roger Williams Casino, was led by Lynne McCormack, director of the city's Department of Arts, Culture and Tourism.

Residents often fail to notice the city's cultural assets, McCormack told the artists. They are "good at complaining," she said, adding that they don't realize how "cool" Providence is.

Seated at round tables with dozens of markers, pens, pencils and paper, the artists were encouraged to "think creatively" as they examined the city's current arts climate and planned for its future.

Tuesday's forum was part of a recent initiative, Creative Providence, started by Mayor David Cicilline '83. In 2003, Cicilline founded the arts, culture and tourism department to form "a citywide cultural plan for strategic and synergistic use of art, culture, film and tourism," according to the department's Web site. This past September, he made good on that proposal by launching the plan.

On Tuesday, McCormack described Creative Providence as a "huge" undertaking. With the help of two regional consulting firms and the Rhode Island State Council on the Arts, McCormack said her department hopes to examine the city's arts scene in all forms, including visual arts, music, theater and dance.

More than 2,000 Providence citizens have already responded to an e-mail survey asking residents for their opinions on the city's arts and culture scene sent out by Dreeszen & Associates, which helps communities with cultural planning, and New Commons, a consulting firm whose leaders aided McCormack during her presentation Tuesday. Craig Dreeszen, who has conducted personal interviews with 20 local artists, said more than 40 community members have signed up to lead focus groups to discuss concrete ideas and concerns, he said. He estimated that by June 2009 - when Creative Providence is slated to publicly release its findings - more than 3,000 citizens will have participated.

Though the city has spearheaded the effort, McCormack said the plan is a "truly a cooperative effort," requiring the community's input.

And though many Providence artists - especially those associated with nonprofits, who often rely heavily on public and private donations - will be unable to avoid the adverse effects of the current economic crisis, both Dreeszen and McCormack are optimistic about the initiative's future successes.

In fact, McCormack said she sees the city's financial difficulties as the perfect occasion to advance the local arts. A combination of music, dance, theater and visual arts groups provides more than 2,800 jobs and account for nearly $111.8 million in the city, she said. With steady improvement, she added, the arts sector may be able to stimulate the local economy.

The arts, culture and tourism department will host a two-day summit in March to continue soliciting ideas from local citizens.