Cicilline '83 outlines path to recovery

Mayor David Cicilline '83 outlined 30 goals - the centerpiece of his efforts to boost Providence's economy - in his annual State of the City address Tuesday night.

After reviewing some of the improvements made since he took office seven years ago, Cicilline said municipal government must now place an "unprecedented focus on the economy" and "mobilize as if we're in the economic equivalent of wartime."

The mayor's plan - which he dubbed "Operation Opportunity" - targets increased entrepreneurship, investment and educational opportunities, as well as infrastructure and public safety improvements, better "customer service" in city government and the restoration of upward mobility to citizens, he said.

Among the specific goals of Cicilline's plan are contributing $5 million to a fund that assists new and small businesses, creating an online system for parents to monitor their children's academic progress, investing at least $10 million toward improving city roads, placing residents in construction and health-care jobs and doubling the number of online government services.

Noting the anxiety caused by high rates of unemployment, foreclosures and general economic hardship, Cicilline encouraged community members to come together in a time of need.

"As the economy has worsened, so, it seems, has our public discourse," Cicilline said. "Rather than tightening our bond in these times of adversity, it often feels like we are allowing them to be corroded by anger, mistrust and political bickering."

Cicilline said the city government would take all possible measures to protect Providence's economic, social and political progress and reminded citizens that "by every fundamental measure, Providence is in a far stronger position than the last time the national economy took this kind of turn."

Though Cicilline said he could not comment on the municipal budget until it was passed by the General Assembly, he said he has told city departments to brace themselves for funding cuts and has spoken with public employee unions about the pressing need to resolve contract disputes.

The mayor drew attention to what he said were broad improvements in education and fiscal policy, crime prevention and public safety, despite the current economic crisis.

"Every long-term, fundamental indicator of our health as a city is either very strong or improving," Cicilline said.

David Talan, chairman of the Providence Republican Party, posted a response to the mayor's address on the Ocean State Republican, a local blog sponsored by the Rhode Island Republican Assembly.

The difficult economic times require innovative ways to cut costs, Talan wrote, specifically pointing to possible savings from education spending and urging Cicilline to support ending unfunded state mandates.

"Clearly, the city cannot count on as much state aid as it is had been receiving," Talan wrote. "So we must look for ways to hold down city spending, without reducingnecessary services."