Web Update: No foul play in students' disappearance

No foul play was involved in the disappearance of two Brown University students who had been missing after failing to return from a spring break trip to Trinidad, a local law enforcement official in Trinidad said Friday.

"They were unharmed," a representative of the anti-kidnapping unit of the Trinidad and Tobago police told The Herald in a telephone interview Friday morning.

"They were not abducted. They were not kidnapped," said the official, who did not give his name.

Vice President for Campus Life and Student Services Margaret Klawunn confirmed in an e-mail to The Herald this morning that the students were not the victims of foul play.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation and the State Department, along with local police in Trinidad, had been investigating the whereabouts of Kimberly Hays '11 and Sophia Roy '10 when they did not return to campus by Monday as friends said they had planned.

Hays' father, Steven Hays, told The Herald late Thursday that Kimberly Hays and Roy were safe at a hotel in Trinidad, but did not elaborate except to say that "one of them may have been drugged."

Reached again Friday, he said that he had not heard the information about a possible drugging from his daughter, Roy or the FBI directly.

He said he has had no further contact with his daughter since last night and referred further questions to the FBI's Boston Field Office.

Gail Marcinkiewicz, a representative for public affairs at the FBI's Boston office, said she could neither confirm nor deny the reports, citing privacy concerns.

State Department officials in Trinidad declined to comment Friday.