Bruno beats Crusaders, gains momentum

The women's soccer team got back on track Tuesday, defeating host Holy Cross 1-0 in non-league action. Forward Eliza Marshall '13 scored her team-leading fifth goal of the season to push Bruno (9-4-1, 2-2 Ivy) past the Crusaders (2-11-2).

"It was our ninth win," said Head Coach Phil Pincince. "We're guaranteed that this will be two consecutive winning seasons, so that was a big accomplishment for this program."

Bruno controlled play in the first half, taking five shots on goal and earning two corner kicks. But Holy Cross keeper Ashlyn Angell thwarted all the Bears' attempts before halftime.

Marshall finally broke the deadlock in the 58th minute. Midfielder Marybeth Lesbirel '12 scooped the ball up to Marshall, who took on her defender and lofted the ball over the keeper from 20 yards out to score the game-winner.

Brown keeper M.C. Barrett '14 made one of her three saves on the day 10 minutes later, diving to her left to deflect a Crusader attempt and keep the shutout intact.

Bruno kept attacking until the final whistle, taking two more shots and earning four corner kicks, but could not add to its lead before full time. The Bears out-shot the Crusaders 12-4 in the game and kept them scoreless for Brown's sixth shutout win of the year.

"Our back line is exceptional," said Barrett. "They make my job a lot easier, whether it's me or Amber in net."

With three conference opponents still on the schedule, the remainder of the season will be crucial for the Bears. They will play Cornell at Ithaca Sunday and must win to keep their hopes of claiming the Ivy Championship alive.

"It's going to be another great Ivy battle," Pincince said. "If you look at last year's game, it was a zero-zero tie. Both teams brought a lot of energy and emotion into the game, and I expect the same thing to take place this year."

"We were obviously disappointed with the loss against Harvard last weekend," Barrett said. "Beating Holy Cross gives us some momentum and gives us some confidence back."