Hurster '14 keeps lacrosse in playoff contention

With four seconds left in the men's lacrosse game against former No. 3 Cornell, attackman Samuel Hurster '14 sent the ball flying into the net to clinch the win for the Bears on a pass from co-captain Parker Brown '12. Hurster's goal not only ensured the win, but also kept Bruno in contention for the Ivy League playoffs. Hurster's last-minute goal was his third of the afternoon and his 27th of season, making him the season high-scorer for the Bears. For his heroics and consistently strong play throughout the season, The Herald has named Hurster Athlete of the Week.

Herald: Congratulations on the upset over Cornell. Can you explain more about the moment?

Hurster: It was a back-and-forth battle ­- we fought our way back, tied it up. At about 20 seconds we got the ball, the score was 9-9. We started the ball with Parker behind, we cut back and forth to try and get the ball. He hit me with the ball with around four seconds left. Somehow, I get the ball in the net. We were running a play, and it unfolded the way we wanted it to. We almost got an excessive celebration penalty ... but we got back in line.

What does this win mean for the rest of the season?

Well, we are still in the hunt (for the final playoff spot) - we needed that win to stay in the hunt. Currently, we are fighting for the fourth spot in the Ivy League. We need Harvard to lose, and we need to beat Dartmouth on Saturday. We all agreed that our win against Cornell was our biggest win in the past two years. It was important for us as a team.

How did you get into lacrosse?

I am from St. Louis, which is not really a lacrosse hotbed. But when I was in fourth grade my neighbor (who) played for Holy Cross at the time got me into it, gave me a few sticks for my birthday, and from there I really picked it up.

So is it true that you're ambidextrous?

As I was growing up learning the sport, I made sure I was doing equal reps right hand and left-handed. I always felt out of balance when I did too many on my right hand. I guess you could say I was a little anal-retentive about keeping it balanced. It is nice when you are going up a defender, and he is not really sure if you are going left or going right.

What are your plans for the summer - are you playing any lacrosse?

This summer I am going to be in New York City. I plan on doing the Gotham Lacrosse League, which is a league up in the city, which is pretty competitive. I am focusing on work this summer, but playing a little bit of lacrosse, too.

Do you have any sports role models?

Michael Jordan, for obvious reasons. But lacrosse-wise, my neighbor was a huge idol to me as a little kid. He inspired me to start playing.

You have three sisters. How was it growing up as the only boy? Do they play lacrosse?

My younger sister that is a junior in high school right now ­­- is playing in St. Louis - is very good. My other two sisters do not play. It was a little tough growing up in the house with all girls - my dad and I stick together a lot. My dad is awesome, he has been to almost every one of my games this season, flying out to Cornell, flying to Brown for every home game. What can I say? I don't know any differently.