Sports Roundup, Sept. 9

This past week saw a series of impressive performances from Brown’s athletes on the field and court. The field hockey and women’s soccer teams’ shutout victories over Bryant University and the University of Connecticut, respectively, showcased a successful slate of contests for the Bears. The volleyball team also earned a convincing win against the University of North Dakota, and cross country’s Hannah Butler ’21 recorded a first-place finish in the season-opening Maribel Sanchez Souther Invitational.

Field Hockey

The field hockey team opened its 2019 campaign in formidable fashion, sweeping Bryant 3-0 at home Saturday. Gina Openshaw ’20 scored twice and Emma Rothkopf ’23 notched her first career goal to secure the advantage for Bruno in the first two quarters.

The Bears outshot the Bulldogs 17-6 and led in penalty corners 7-3. Goaltender Allee Ayles ’20 made a trio of saves on penalty corners for the shutout in her first career start with the team.

Brown will return to Goldberger Family Field to face off against Stanford University Tuesday.

Volleyball

In the volleyball team’s home opener Sunday, the Bears powered past the University of North Dakota in four sets. The Bears won three sets in convincing fashion, and dropped only one in a tight 26-24 battle.

Makena Ehlert ’20 led the Bears with 16 kills, and Eliza Grover ’21 followed up with 12 of her own. Bruno hit .324 for the match and .300 in three of the sets.

The Bears will compete in the Friar Classic this coming weekend, taking on Coppin State University Friday, along with Fairleigh Dickinson University and Providence College Saturday.

Women’s Soccer

The women’s soccer team continued an undefeated season Thursday with a 2-0 victory against the University of Connecticut to move its record to 3-0. Malina Yago ’22 found the back of the net in the 43rd minute before Claire Myers ’22 solidified the lead with a strike in the 62nd. The win marked Bruno’s first success against the Huskies since 1990.

Goaltender Kayla Thompson ’21 managed to hold off the Huskies for all 90 minutes, notching four saves in her first start for the Bears after transferring from West Virginia University in the offseason. Bruno dominated the stat sheet, outpacing UConn in shots, shots on goal and corner kicks.

The Bears will open Ivy League play against Dartmouth Sept. 28 at Stevenson-Pincince Field.

Women’s and Men’s Cross Country

Both the women’s and men’s cross country teams earned second place in the season-opening Maribel Sanchez Souther Invitational against Dartmouth, Hartford University and the University of Maine Saturday. Hannah Butler ’21 finished first overall in the women’s race, while Dominic Morganti ’21 achieved the best men’s result for the Bears with a fourth-place finish. Butler clocked in her victory with a time of 21:58.74 around the six-kilometer path. Samantha Valentine ’21 crossed the finish line in third, followed quickly by Ally Hajda ’21, who earned fourth place.

The Bears will next travel to Boston for the BC Coast-to-Coast Battle in Beantown Friday, Sept. 20.