COVID-19 Updates

The Brown Daily Herald is documenting all cases of COVID-19 in Rhode Island.

Visualization loading, please wait…

Jed Fox and Leon Jiang / Herald

Source: Rhode Island Department of Health

View the visualization source here and the map source here.

Recent updates on COVID-19 from The Herald

Around the country, millions are traveling home for Thanksgiving despite pandemic restrictions. Meanwhile, some University students are playing it safe and staying on campus through the holiday and reading period.

News, University News

Brown’s fall semester comes to gradual close

November 23, 2020 0 comments

As classes wrap up before Thanksgiving break, many students are packing their bags to head home for the winter. Some have already departed. Others are hunkering down in their dorms and apartments for the reading period and beyond — opting to avoid a change in environment, and possible exposure, as COVID-19 cases rise. 

The COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha: Thanksgiving, Travel and Testimony

Multimedia, News, Podcasts, Science & Research

November 20, 2020 1 comment

On this bonus episode of The COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha, Dean of the School of Public Health at Brown University, Dr. Jha provides advice for managing COVID-19 over Thanksgiving.

Brown classes shift back to online due to rising COVID-19 cases

News, University News

November 17, 2020 10 comments

All undergraduate and graduate classes, with the exception of Warren Alpert Medical School classes, will resume online instruction. 

THE COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha: The Future of Pfizer’s Vaccine and President-Elect Biden’s Transition Team

News, Podcasts, Science & Research

November 13, 2020 0 comments

Dr. Ashish Jha discusses the aftermath of the 2020 Election and President-Elect Joe Biden’s announcement of a COVID-19 Task Force. Dr. Jha also walks us through news from Pfizer that the company may have a highly effective vaccine in the development.

VP Carey: Despite increase in COVID-19 cases, ‘we don’t feel that we’ve seen spread on campus’

News, University News

November 5, 2020 0 comments

Executive Vice President of Planning and Policy Russell Carey ’91 MA’06 and University Spokesperson Brian Clark discussed Halloween weekend, the election and the recent uptick in positive asymptomatic test results in conversations with The Herald Oct. 29 and Nov 5.

Gov. Gina Raimondo implemented a stay-at-home advisory and shortened some in-person business operating hours, among other measures, Thursday.

News, University News

Rhode Island to initiate stricter public health restrictions following COVID-19 case climb

November 5, 2020 0 comments

Gov. Gina Raimondo announced adjustments to Rhode Island’s Phase 3 public health guidelines Thursday, which will begin Nov. 8 and last at least two weeks as a precautionary measure against the continuing climb in COVId-19 cases. Rhode Island saw 566 positive COVID-19 test results Nov. 4.

The COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha: Voting, Lockdowns and Case Counts

News, Podcasts

October 30, 2020 0 comments

On the eve of Halloween, Dr. Ashish Jha joins The Herald’s COVID Pod team to discuss the implications of the Nov. 3 presidential election and how to safely exercise the right to vote. Dr. Jha also touches on the lockdowns occurring in multiple European countries and what that means for the United States.

Brown plans to welcome students from each class year back in Spring 2021

News, University News

October 29, 2020 0 comments

The University plans to offer an in-person residential experience for students from each undergraduate class for the spring semester, though space constraints may limit how many students can return. 

The COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha: Vaccine Trials, Group Gatherings and Flu Shots

News, Podcasts

October 18, 2020 0 comments

In the inaugural episode of “The COVID Pod with Ashish Jha,” The Brown Daily Herald’s Editor-in-Chief Colleen Cronin ’21 joins Dean of the School of Public Health Ashish Jha to discuss the national news surrounding ongoing vaccine trials, President Donald Trump’s COVID-19 diagnosis and the risk of group gatherings.

In early spring, the University began formulating plans for students to vacate campus and finish the semester remotely.

News, University News

A timeline of University COVID-19 decision-making

October 8, 2020 1 comment

Since early March, the conditions created by the COVID-19 pandemic have forced the University to reconsider important aspects of campus life and the student experience.