COVID-19 Updates

The Brown Daily Herald is documenting all cases of COVID-19 in Rhode Island.

Visualization loading, please wait…

Jed Fox and Leon Jiang / Herald

Source: Rhode Island Department of Health

View the visualization source here and the map source here.

Recent updates on COVID-19 from The Herald

The COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha: Optimistic Outcomes and Overcoming Hurdles: Managing COVID-19 in March 2021

Multimedia, News, Podcasts, Science & Research, University News

March 3, 2021 0 comments

In this episode of The COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha, recorded Tuesday, March 2, Dr. Jha speaks to the importance of equitable vaccine distribution, ventilation over sanitation for public spaces and the promises of the recently authorized Johnson and Johnson vaccine amid the rise of new virus variants.

The Broad Institute has increased the threshold for a positive test following changes to the testing process.

News, University News

VP Carey: Fewest weekly positive COVID-19 cases at Brown since October

February 15, 2021 5 comments

The University saw seven positive, asymptomatic COVID-19 cases from Feb. 7 to Feb. 14, according to the Healthy Brown COVID-19 Dashboard. Weekly cases have not been this low since last October when cases dipped to two per week, excluding winter break when testing volumes dropped. 

The COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha: Virus Variants, Vaccines and Valentine’s

Multimedia, News, Podcasts, Science & Research

February 12, 2021 0 comments

On Friday, Feb. 12, the COVID Pod team sits down with Ashish Jha, dean of the School of Public Health, to discuss the variations underlying the COVID-19 pandemic and efforts to stop its spread: virus variants, new vaccines in development — and even a COVID-19-conscious approach to socializing on Valentine’s Day.

The Bruno Brief: No in-person learning: the plight of Pawtucket schools

Metro, Multimedia, News, Podcasts

February 8, 2021 1 comment

In this week’s episode of The Bruno Brief, we take you into the Pawtucket School District — the only district in the state of Rhode Island to reject hybrid or in-person learning, and where parents, local Black Lives Matter leaders and the Rhode Island Department of Education have spoken out against the decision.

The Bruno Brief: Brown & Millions of Dollars in Federal Pandemic Aid

Higher Ed, Podcasts, University News

January 31, 2021 0 comments

In the first-ever episode of The Bruno Brief, The Herald’s new weekly podcast that digs deep into a standout story from the past week, we talk to senior staff writer Mia Freund about the University’s plans regarding millions of dollars in federal COVID-19 stimulus funding.

The COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha: Vaccinating the Nation, Two Doses at a Time

January 29, 2021 0 comments

The COVID Pod is back in 2021 with more insight from Dean of the School of Public Health at Brown University Ashish Jha. On this episode, The COVID Pod team takes a look at vaccine administration — what has been done so far and where it is going to go in the next few months.

Around the country, millions are traveling home for Thanksgiving despite pandemic restrictions. Meanwhile, some University students are playing it safe and staying on campus through the holiday and reading period.

News, University News

Brown’s fall semester comes to gradual close

November 23, 2020 0 comments

As classes wrap up before Thanksgiving break, many students are packing their bags to head home for the winter. Some have already departed. Others are hunkering down in their dorms and apartments for the reading period and beyond — opting to avoid a change in environment, and possible exposure, as COVID-19 cases rise. 

The COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha: Thanksgiving, Travel and Testimony

November 20, 2020 1 comment

On this bonus episode of The COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha, Dean of the School of Public Health at Brown University, Dr. Jha provides advice for managing COVID-19 over Thanksgiving.

Brown classes shift back to online due to rising COVID-19 cases

News, University News

November 17, 2020 11 comments

All undergraduate and graduate classes, with the exception of Warren Alpert Medical School classes, will resume online instruction. 

THE COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha: The Future of Pfizer’s Vaccine and President-Elect Biden’s Transition Team

News, Podcasts, Science & Research

November 13, 2020 0 comments

Dr. Ashish Jha discusses the aftermath of the 2020 Election and President-Elect Joe Biden’s announcement of a COVID-19 Task Force. Dr. Jha also walks us through news from Pfizer that the company may have a highly effective vaccine in the development.