COVID-19 Updates

The Brown Daily Herald is documenting all cases of COVID-19 in Rhode Island.

Last updated 5:45 p.m. April 6, 2020.

Visualization loading, please wait…

Jed Fox and Leon Jiang / Herald

Source: Rhode Island Department of Health

View visualization source here.

Recent updates on COVID-19 from The Herald

Since most students evacuated campus and the University transitioned to remote learning in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, students have continued to debate the grading policy adopted by the University.

News, University News

Students express mixed opinions on temporary grading policy, advocate for alternative systems

April 6, 2020 0 comments

Reflecting on notions of equity, choice and transparency in the context of the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic, students expressed mixed reactions to the temporary academic policy implemented by the University that will allow students to change their grade options from April 13 to May 1. 

The costs for this fiscal year, which ends June 30, have now likely exceeded $21 million as a result of expenses related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

News, University News

Paxson: Brown must make ‘tough’ financial choices due to economic impacts of COVID-19

April 6, 2020 0 comments

The University calculated that costs associated with the effects of the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic will exceed $20 million in the current fiscal year, according to a community-wide email from President Christina Paxson P’19 sent this morning.

Editorial: To our administration: we ask for clear, caring communication regarding grading policy change

Editorials, Opinions

April 5, 2020 0 comments

On Monday, March 30, the undergraduate community received an email from Dean of the College Rashid Zia ‘01 outlining the University’s updated grading policy in response to the COVID-19 pandemic’s sweeping academic consequences this semester.

Jeff Bailey, Wafik El-Deiry and Daniel Harris are three researchers who have shifted their traditionall studies aside as they pursue COVID-19 related projects

News, Science & Research

Brown researchers combat COVID-19 in the lab, clinic

April 2, 2020 0 comments

While researchers across the University had to close their doors and hang up their lab coats for the foreseeable future on March 18, some labs have found ways to keep their doors open for the benefit of the community amid the COVID-19 crisis.

Physicians’ perspectives: Impacts of PPE shortages, COVID-19 on Lifespan

News, Science & Research

April 2, 2020 0 comments

With the global development of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Rhode Island Lifespan Health System and its partners have been working with different sectors of the government, including the Rhode Island Department of Health, to prepare for and address the challenges posed by the pandemic locally.

Brown librarians, medical students spearhead donation efforts to health care workers

News, University News

April 2, 2020 0 comments

As healthcare workers across the state face shortages of personal protective equipment as they tackle the COVID-19 pandemic, some likely and unlikely heroes are helping to provide them with the proper supplies, including librarians and future doctors.

Watson Institute, Rhodes Center directors virtually talk economic impacts of COVID-19

News, University News

April 2, 2020 2 comments

In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs hosted a live virtual conversation Tuesday with Director Edward Steinfeld and Rhodes Center for International Economics and Finance Director Mark Blyth on the economic impacts of the virus.

Professors navigate challenges of transitioning to remote learning

News, University News

March 27, 2020 1 comment

Professors across disciplines are preparing for the challenges and opportunities of a virtual academic environment in advance of the resumption of classes remotely March 30.

‘If only I could teleport home’: International students and COVID-19

Metro, News

March 26, 2020 0 comments

When news broke that the University was moving to remote learning and telling students to leave College Hill, Jessica Zhu ’20 was not surprised. She was expecting the announcement. In many ways, it felt as though her whole semester had been building to that moment.

Gov. Raimondo orders postponement of Rhode Island primary

Metro, News

March 26, 2020 0 comments

Rhode Island Governor Gina Raimondo signed an executive order Monday postponing the 2020 presidential primary and shifting to a predominantly mail ballot model in light of escalating COVID-19 concerns. The election will occur June 2, according to the order, over a month later than the original date of April 28.