COVID-19 Updates

The Brown Daily Herald is documenting all cases of COVID-19 in Rhode Island.

Visualization loading, please wait…

Jed Fox and Leon Jiang / Herald

Source: Rhode Island Department of Health

View the visualization source here and the map source here.

Recent updates on COVID-19 from The Herald

Between May 30 and June 12, there were no positive COVID-19 cases reported among students and staff through the University’s asymptomatic testing program.

News, Science & Research

Brown partnership with Broad Institute allows for new viral sequencing, studying of COVID-19 variants from testing program samples

June 13, 2021 0 comments

Students in the COVID-19 testing program were asked to consent to new viral sequencing for variants through the Broad Institute, the University’s testing partner, in an email sent to on-campus students June 8. 

The percentage of students on-campus who have documented COVID-19 vaccinations with the University surpasses 75 percent and nearly reaches 70 percent for on-campus employees.

News, Science & Research

More than three-quarters of students on campus have documented their COVID-19 vaccinations with the University

June 6, 2021 2 comments

The percentage of documented COVID-19 vaccinations increased to 76.8 percent and 69.3 percent, respectively, for students and employees on campus during the week of May 27 to June 2, according to the Healthy Brown COVID-19 Testing Update. 

News, Science & Research

Brown ‘on a very good trajectory’: Vaccine documentation surpasses 60 percent for employees, students on campus as Brown begins lifting COVID-19 restrictions

May 31, 2021 1 comment

The total percentage of students who have documented their COVID-19 vaccinations has increased to 40.6 percent, and the total number of employees has increased to 59.7 percent, according to the University’s May 28 COVID-19 Testing Update.

The University said community members should treat the summer as a "transition period," during which campus policies may continue to shift.

News, University News

U. reduces COVID-19 testing frequency, updates mask-wearing, social distancing guidelines

May 27, 2021 5 comments

The University announced “significant changes” to its COVID-19 guidelines that will “enable increased campus activities” in response to improving public health conditions both on campus and across the state, according to a Thursday email from Executive Vice President for Planning and Policy Russell Carey ’91 MA’06.

The University previously hosted its first on-campus COVID-19 vaccine clinic May 17. All students planning to return to campus for the 2021-22 academic year must be vaccinated by the fall semester.

News, University News

University to require all employees, on-campus students to receive COVID-19 vaccine by July 1

May 20, 2021 7 comments

The University will require that all employees and all students engaged in on-campus activities receive both doses of the COVID-19 vaccine by July 1, according to a May 20 letter sent to the Brown community by President Christina Paxson P’19.

The summer Quiet Period was previously shortened to seven days from the original 14-day Quiet Period implemented during the fall 2020 and spring 2021 semesters.

News, University News

Brown ends Quiet Period early at start of summer term

May 15, 2021 0 comments

The University ended Quiet Period today, three days early for students who arrived on campus from May 9 to 11 for the summer semester, according to a Saturday email from Associate Vice Presidents for Campus Life Vanessa Britto MMSc’96 and Koren Bakkegard.

Students, faculty and teaching assistants who wish to do so will have the option to continue learning remotely, despite in-person instruction.

News, University News

Brown guidelines for Summer 2021 semester

May 11, 2021 0 comments

With students returning to campus for the summer semester, the University maintains the importance of following public health guidelines. The summer term will enroll about 2,000 undergraduate students and two groups of pre-college summer program students in June and July.

The COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha: Approaching a More ‘Normal’ Fall 2021

Multimedia, News, Podcasts, Science & Research

April 10, 2021 0 comments

On the last episode of The COVID Pod, recorded on the morning of April 9, 2021, Dean of the School of Public Health Ashish Jha is back to comment on Brown’s plans toward a more traditional semester in fall of 2021.

The University encourages community members to receive the COVID-19 vaccine, according to Vice President for Planning and Policy Russell Carey ’91 MA’06, who cited vaccinations as a means of helping to prevent the spread of variants.

News, University News

VP Carey discusses student COVID-19 vaccine requirement for fall, COVID-19 protocol moving forward

April 9, 2021 0 comments

Sixteen University community members tested positive for COVID-19 through the asymptomatic testing program from April 1 to April 7, Executive Vice President for Planning and Policy Russell Carey ’91 MA’06 told The Herald in a conversation April 8.

Univeristy Covid-19 testing centers will remain open in the break between the spring and summer semesters.

News, University News

VP Carey looks ahead as R.I. general vaccine eligibility date, end of semester approach

April 4, 2021 0 comments

Twenty-seven community members tested positive for COVID-19 through the asymptomatic testing program between March 25 and March 31, according to the Healthy Brown COVID-19 Testing Update April 2.