COVID-19 Updates

The Brown Daily Herald is documenting all cases of COVID-19 in Rhode Island.

Visualization loading, please wait…

Jed Fox and Leon Jiang / Herald

Source: Rhode Island Department of Health

View the visualization source here and the map source here.

Recent updates on COVID-19 from The Herald

Students with remote status but residing in Providence urged to come forward and register for testing program

News, University News

September 24, 2020 1 comment

President Christina Paxson P’19 urged students who are listed as studying remotely but have returned to Providence to come forward and enroll in the University’s testing program immediately, in a community-wide email sent Thursday.

Athletic Department gets involved with Brown’s COVID-19 response

Sports

September 21, 2020 0 comments

Instead of fighting for wins on their season records, this fall, Brown’s Athletic Department staff are helping the University fight COVID-19.

Since April, the students and faculty on the Healthy Fall 2020 Task Force have held meetings to discuss how to reopen campus for the fall semester.

News, University News

Brown’s Healthy Fall 2020 Task Force members outline experience, challenges

September 16, 2020 1 comment

In April, Brown created the Healthy Fall 2020 Task Force: a 14-person committee charged with giving high-level administrators recommendations for developing a public health plan for reopening in the fall. 

The University COVID-19 test statistics reflect data collected from Aug. 25-Sept. 15.

News, University News

Brown COVID-19 testing update: 13 total positive cases as of 9/15

September 15, 2020 0 comments

As college students across the country face sudden evacuations of their schools and administrators scramble to modify reopening plans announced in the summer, one common metric underlies each decision: testing numbers. 

Some international students quarantine in countries away from home before returning to College Hill

News, University News

September 7, 2020 0 comments

For Shanghai resident Tiffany Chan ’23, coming back to Brown from China this fall requires an unusual, extra long layover: 14 days of quarantine in Hong Kong. The stop is necessary because of current travel restrictions banning non-U.S. passport holders from entering the U.S. directly from China. 

Brown files to dismiss class action lawsuit demanding refund over COVID-19 closure

News, University News

September 1, 2020 3 comments

The University has filed a motion to dismiss a class action lawsuit brought by students seeking reimbursement of tuition, fees, and room and board following the University’s decision to close campus in March and transition exclusively to online learning amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Brown announces educational campaign on COVID-19 public health guidelines

News, University News

August 27, 2020 1 comment

As some students return to campus and Providence, the University has launched the Brown Takes Care campaign to encourage personal responsibility for public health by providing both physical and online resources to stay safe and maintain the community.

For students returning to Providence: Campus resources

News, University News

August 21, 2020 0 comments
This article is part of the series Fall 2020 Virtual Guide to Brown

The Herald has compiled a list of campus services and resources for students returning to Providence to live on- or off-campus.

For students returning to Providence: Quiet period guidelines, testing procedures

News, University News

August 21, 2020 0 comments

For the undergraduates granted permission to reside on campus, those living off campus on College Hill and graduate students, The Herald has compiled information on the details of returning to campus.

Students’ residence halls are gradually being repopulated as students return to campus. RPLs work to promote health and safety in the on-campus community.

News, University News

Brown undergraduates to be tested for COVID-19 twice a week for foreseeable future

August 13, 2020 0 comments

The University released its guidelines Aug. 11 for the free COVID-19 testing that will be required of returning students and employees during the fall semester. The summer testing pilot program currently in place will transition to this academic-year testing initiative beginning the week of Aug. 24.