Donate

COVID-19 Updates

The Brown Daily Herald is documenting all cases of COVID-19 in Rhode Island.

Visualization loading, please wait…

Jed Fox and Leon Jiang / Herald

Source: Rhode Island Department of Health

View the visualization source here and the map source here.

Recent updates on COVID-19 from The Herald

Nearly 800 students to attend Brown remotely for fall semester

News, University News

August 10, 2020 0 comments

Approximately 800 undergraduate students will study remotely during the upcoming semester, accounting for around 15.5 percent of respondents to the Fall 2020 Location of Study Form, which was completed by sophomores, juniors and seniors in July.

The nation's leading infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci spoke to the Brown Community in a live-streamed Zoom call Friday, in conversation with Ashish Jha, the incoming dean of the School of Public Health.

News, Science & Research

‘This is going to end:’ Anthony Fauci joins Ashish Jha to address COVID-19 pandemic in live-streamed Brown event

August 8, 2020 1 comment

Anthony Fauci, the nation’s leading infectious disease expert, spoke through  screens to the Brown community and the public Friday afternoon, sharing practical public health advice and updates on the nation’s COVID-19 response.

COVID-19 testing specifics remain uncertain for fall semester

News, University News

July 30, 2020 2 comments

Before classes resume on College Hill, the University intends to test all returning students for COVID-19. But what happens next?

CS professors, students plan for online instruction

News, University News

July 28, 2020 1 comment

In early spring, before COVID-19 had officially been deemed a pandemic and the semester moved online, the University’s Department of Computer Science was one of the first to begin moving its operations online.

Students express concerns about returning to campus in UCS pre-reopening decision poll

News, University News

July 23, 2020 1 comment

The Undergraduate Council of Students’ pre-reopening decision poll revealed the majority of students surveyed are concerned about aspects of campus life as they prepare to return to College Hill in the fall.

University researchers funded by COVID-19 Seed Fund collaborate on life-saving machinery, diagnostic devices for patients, including “PufferFish” ventilator and “Bubbler” COVID-19 testing kit

News, Science & Research

Take a breath

July 18, 2020 0 comments

To assist in the battle against COVID-19, a number of University research projects in progress since early spring seek to develop new technology molded to the needs of medical personnel, COVID-19 patients and testing sites.

Apartments at River House — located across the river from College Hill — are among those being leased by Brown for additional student housing.

News, University News

Brown secures one-year leases at four off-campus Providence locations for upcoming academic year

July 15, 2020 0 comments

To supplement the supply of on-campus housing and allow for a de-densified campus during the upcoming academic year, the University has agreed to one-year leases at four off-campus locations in Providence. 

Federal government rescinds ICE, DHS decision prohibiting international students from remaining in the U.S. with a fully online course load

Metro, News

July 14, 2020 0 comments

The Department of Homeland Security will rescind the regulations released July 6 barring International Students from remaining in the United States if their course load is entirely online, federal judge Allison Burroughs announced Tuesday.

First-year students will come to campus during the spring and summer semesters of Brown's tri-semester model.

News, University News

First-years balance excitement, concern over delayed arrival on campus

July 13, 2020 0 comments

The class of 2024 has to wait a little longer. After an unorthodox high school senior spring and an uncertain summer, first-years will not study on campus for the fall semester.

Faculty express cautious optimism for Brown’s three-term plan

News, University News

July 11, 2020 2 comments

Weighing excitement to welcome students back to campus with the hope that their own health will be protected, five University faculty members told The Herald about their anticipations for the upcoming fall.