COVID-19 Updates

The Brown Daily Herald is documenting all cases of COVID-19 in Rhode Island.

Visualization loading, please wait…

Jed Fox and Leon Jiang / Herald

Source: Rhode Island Department of Health

View the visualization source here and the map source here.

Recent updates on COVID-19 from The Herald

The COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha: Approaching a More ‘Normal’ Fall 2021

Multimedia, News, Podcasts, Science & Research

April 10, 2021 0 comments

On the last episode of The COVID Pod, recorded on the morning of April 9, 2021, Dean of the School of Public Health Ashish Jha is back to comment on Brown’s plans toward a more traditional semester in fall of 2021.

The University encourages community members to receive the COVID-19 vaccine, according to Vice President for Planning and Policy Russell Carey ’91 MA’06, who cited vaccinations as a means of helping to prevent the spread of variants.

News, University News

VP Carey discusses student COVID-19 vaccine requirement for fall, COVID-19 protocol moving forward

April 9, 2021 0 comments

Sixteen University community members tested positive for COVID-19 through the asymptomatic testing program from April 1 to April 7, Executive Vice President for Planning and Policy Russell Carey ’91 MA’06 told The Herald in a conversation April 8.

Univeristy Covid-19 testing centers will remain open in the break between the spring and summer semesters.

News, University News

VP Carey looks ahead as R.I. general vaccine eligibility date, end of semester approach

April 4, 2021 0 comments

Twenty-seven community members tested positive for COVID-19 through the asymptomatic testing program between March 25 and March 31, according to the Healthy Brown COVID-19 Testing Update April 2.

Given federal course-credit guidelines and the need for pubic health safety during the 2020-2021 acadmeic year, "the (academic) calendar had to be the way it is," according to VP Russell Carey.

News, University News

VP Carey: Increase in COVID-19 cases is a ‘definite turn in a different direction’ due to individual actions

March 28, 2021 0 comments

The University saw an increase in positive COVID-19 cases this week, with 37 community members testing positive through the asymptomatic testing program March 21 to March 27, according to the Healthy Brown COVID-19 Dashboard. The majority of cases came from undergraduate students on campus.

The COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha: Getting Vaccinated (with a side of free donuts)

March 27, 2021 0 comments

On March 26, 2021, the COVID Pod team welcomes Dr. Ashish Jha again to discuss expanded vaccine eligibility coming soon to Rhode Island, how to address ongoing vaccine hesitancy and what the summer and next few years will look like after more people are vaccinated. Dr. Jha also provides his […]

The COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha: Marching Forward One Year Later

Multimedia, News, Podcasts, Science & Research, University News

March 13, 2021 0 comments

One year into the pandemic, and on the anniversary of the day Brown announced it would be closing to students and faculty in the wake of COVID-19 in March of 2020, The COVID Pod team welcomes Dean of the School of Public Health Ashish Jha to have a conversation about looking ahead.

The COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha: Optimistic Outcomes and Overcoming Hurdles: Managing COVID-19 in March 2021

March 3, 2021 0 comments

In this episode of The COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha, recorded Tuesday, March 2, Dr. Jha speaks to the importance of equitable vaccine distribution, ventilation over sanitation for public spaces and the promises of the recently authorized Johnson and Johnson vaccine amid the rise of new virus variants.

The Broad Institute has increased the threshold for a positive test following changes to the testing process.

News, University News

VP Carey: Fewest weekly positive COVID-19 cases at Brown since October

February 15, 2021 5 comments

The University saw seven positive, asymptomatic COVID-19 cases from Feb. 7 to Feb. 14, according to the Healthy Brown COVID-19 Dashboard. Weekly cases have not been this low since last October when cases dipped to two per week, excluding winter break when testing volumes dropped. 

The COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha: Virus Variants, Vaccines and Valentine’s

February 12, 2021 0 comments

On Friday, Feb. 12, the COVID Pod team sits down with Ashish Jha, dean of the School of Public Health, to discuss the variations underlying the COVID-19 pandemic and efforts to stop its spread: virus variants, new vaccines in development — and even a COVID-19-conscious approach to socializing on Valentine’s Day.

The Bruno Brief: No in-person learning: the plight of Pawtucket schools

Metro, Multimedia, News, Podcasts

February 8, 2021 1 comment

In this week’s episode of The Bruno Brief, we take you into the Pawtucket School District — the only district in the state of Rhode Island to reject hybrid or in-person learning, and where parents, local Black Lives Matter leaders and the Rhode Island Department of Education have spoken out against the decision.