Letters to the Editor

Letter: Coach Behn is a positive force, not a negative one

Opinions

March 9, 2020 3 comments

The Herald’s recent article about Women’s Basketball Head Coach Sarah Behn, titled “Brown University Band will not perform at women’s basketball games in protest of Head Coach,” was quite disheartening.

Letter: Criticizing Kanders donations is self-righteous, misses point

Opinions

February 24, 2020 0 comments

I was disappointed to read the letter to the editor, “If the Sacklers must go, so too must Kanders,” by Abdullah Shihipar MPH’20 in the Jan. 27 issue of The Herald. It represents yet another example of self-righteous virtue-signaling by a Brown student.

Letter: The case for divestment is riddled with untruths

Opinions

February 14, 2020 2 comments

To the Editor: Brown University should take a moral stand by continuing to keep its investments in Israeli companies. Alums should be proud that our university recognizes that the existence of Israel is necessary in the global fight against anti-Semitism.

Letter: Centrism is cynical, not realistic

Opinions

February 11, 2020 0 comments

To the Editor: The irony of centrist pleas for realism like Andrew Reed’s ’21, in his column “It’s Time to get real, Dems,” is that they are built on a fantasy. They emulate the Joe Biden-style wish that if Democrats just moderate their policies enough or make overtures to Mitch […]

Letter: Palestinian Authority, Say ‘Yes’ to Peace

Opinions, Uncategorized

February 10, 2020 0 comments

I completely disagree with the author of the Jan. 31 op-ed “Trump’s so-called peace plan for Israel and Palestine hinders progress.”  Palestinian leaders should welcome any proposal to end the conflict, especially since all other attempts in the past have failed.

Letter: If the Sacklers must go, so too must Kanders

Opinions

January 27, 2020 0 comments

I am writing in response to Andrew Reed ’21’s defense of Warren Kanders ’79 P’23 . Reed argued against calls for the University to remove Kanders from positions of influence at Brown and to reject any future donations from him.

Letter: Preventing ExxonMobil recruitment misguided

Opinions

December 5, 2019 0 comments

To the Editor: I’m writing in response to a recent Herald column that called for the end of ExxonMobil’s recruitment at Brown. I live in New Mexico, the second-poorest state in the United States (ahead of Mississippi). In the past three years, we have grown from the sixth largest oil […]

Letter: Another look at ACCRIP

Opinions

Letter: Another look at ACCRIP

December 5, 2019 0 comments

To the Editor: I was a participant in the Dec. 2 meeting of the Advisory Committee on Corporate Responsibility in Investment Practices.

Letter: The ACCRIP: Hypocrisy lives

Opinions

Letter: The ACCRIP: Hypocrisy lives

December 4, 2019 2 comments

I was disappointed, saddened and, yes, outraged to read in the Dec. 3 Herald that the Advisory Committee on Corporate Responsibility in Investment Practices voted to recommend that the University divest from “companies identified as facilitating human rights abuses in Palestine.”

Letter: Linda Sarsour is a progressive advocate, not an anti-Semite

Opinions

November 18, 2019 0 comments

To the Editor: As a Jewish resident of Providence and a member of Jewish Voice for Peace, I felt compelled to respond to Emily Tunkel’s op-ed, “Before her visit to campus, students should know about Linda Sarsour’s history of anti-Semitism.”