2021 Commencement Magazine

Seniors in the performing arts find new purpose, inspiration despite entering a changed industry

Arts & Culture

April 28, 2021 0 comments

While businesses have reopened across the country, many theaters, concert venues and other stages remain closed for the foreseeable future.

Graduates reflect on hybrid Commencement

News, University News

April 28, 2021 0 comments

Graduating seniors in the class of 2021 will conclude their time at Brown with a hybrid Commencement May 2, capping off over a year of virtual classes, social distancing and navigating a global pandemic.

During adapted Senior Week, Class of ’21 strives to make memories, celebrate last days on College Hill

News, University News

April 28, 2021 0 comments

As the late Spring dawns on College Hill, many students rush to dining halls to grab a last bite between cramming for finals and packing their semester into boxes that will only be opened in the fall. 

Acknowledging lost moments: Grief, gratitude and unusual goodbyes

News, University News

April 28, 2021 1 comment

Before the University made any announcement about moving to remote learning last spring, staff in the Office of Residential Life were making contingency plans.

Editors’ Note: A socially distanced goodbye and thank you

Editors' Note, Opinions

April 28, 2021 0 comments

Every year, The Herald’s Commencement Magazine collects the memories and reflections of the senior class. This year, that collection is inevitably shaped by the grief and loss COVID-19 has caused.

Senior Column | Krista Stapleford ’21: On painful beginnings and surprising self-acceptance

Columns, Opinions

April 28, 2021 1 comment

When I first arrived on Brown’s campus the day of first-year move-in, I wasn’t all that different from any of my peers chaotically flooding the University gates.

Senior Column | Sarah Martinez ’21: Letting go of the gold and accepting the value of the invaluable

Columns, Opinions

April 28, 2021 0 comments

This article is part of the series 2021 Commencement MagazineThe age-old adage states that college is where you find yourself and your people. At 18, I wished fervently to “find myself” falling in love with math, championing the resolution of some low-level environmental issue, graduating with straight A’s in my […]

Senior Column | Jordan Allums ’21: Beyond resisting, toward living as a Black alum

Columns, Opinions

April 29, 2021 0 comments

In high school, I once joked that I didn’t find out I was Black until my first day of sixth grade.  That is, of course, an exaggeration; my parents and my parents’ parents are Black, and I have never dissociated myself from my identity.

Commencement 2021 | Augustus Kmetz ’21: Ever True

Columns, Opinions

April 29, 2021 0 comments

As a member of the Band — yeah, those sickos who wake you up early every Parent’s Weekend — I’ve heard a lot of Brown school songs (and occasionally remembered how to play them). Our fight song, Ever True to Brown, is fitting for our class of 2021.

Senior Column | Celia Hack ’21: Changing my metric of success

Columns, Opinions

April 29, 2021 0 comments

I was never someone who dreamed of moving to a big city; I remember visiting New York City when I was a kid and hating it. But my excitement to move to Brown stemmed, in large part, from a belief I hadn’t even been conscious of holding: that step one in ‘making it’ was leaving home, and the Midwest, behind.