Topic: 2020 Presidential Election

Sanders said that while he is dropping out, he will remain on the ballot in the remaining primary states and gather delegates, in hopes of exerting influence over the party platform at the convention. 

Metro, News

Brown students react to Sen. Bernie Sanders dropping out of presidential race

April 8, 2020 1 comment

Senator Bernie Sanders announced Wednesday that he is ending his campaign for President of the United States, all but ensuring that former-Vice President Joe Biden will become the Democratic Nominee.

Gov. Raimondo orders postponement of Rhode Island primary

COVID-19 Updates, Metro, News

March 26, 2020 0 comments

Rhode Island Governor Gina Raimondo signed an executive order Monday postponing the 2020 presidential primary and shifting to a predominantly mail ballot model in light of escalating COVID-19 concerns. The election will occur June 2, according to the order, over a month later than the original date of April 28. 

Members of Brown Students for Bernie, Brown Students for Warren and Bruno for Pete traveled to New Hampshire last weekend to support their candidates.

Metro, News

Brown students canvas in NH Democratic primary

February 12, 2020 0 comments

When Alison Swinth ’22 knocked on the front door of a modest home in the outskirts of Epping, New Hampshire, she was greeted by a man wearing nothing but a towel.

Gov. Gina Raimondo, a long-time political ally of democratic presidential candidate Michael Bloomberg, praised his entrepreneurial success at a downtown Providence campaign event.

Metro

Gov. Raimondo endorses Bloomberg for president

February 6, 2020 1 comment

Gov. Gina Raimondo announced her endorsement of Democratic presidential candidate Michael Bloomberg at his campaign event Wednesday morning, making her the first governor in the country to do so.

Iowans, gathered in an auditorium in MacMillan Hall, prepared to raise their voting cards to cast their votes in a “satellite caucus.”

Metro

Iowa Caucus precinct at Brown splits delegates

February 4, 2020 0 comments

Ten Iowans sat in an auditorium waiting to caucus Monday night. But unlike tens of thousands of registered voters in the Hawkeye State, they were over 1,000 miles away from their home.

The R.I. Students for Bernie kickoff rally attracted an audience of about 200 to the Columbus Theatre, where several guest speakers addressed supporters Tuesday night. Speakers included activist and author Linda Sarsour and President and Co-Executive Director of the Center for Popular Democracy Jennifer Epps-Addison.

Metro, News

At Providence event, students rally for Sanders

January 29, 2020 1 comment

Some students piled onto RIPTA buses; others braced the evening chill to walk or bike. More made the trip in cars from across southern Rhode Island or neighboring Massachusetts.

Chafee is the second University graduate to join the 2020 presidential race, alongside businessman Andrew Yang ’96.

Metro, News

University alum, longtime RI politician Chafee enters presidential race

January 24, 2020 0 comments

During his four years on College Hill preceding his political career, former governor and senator Lincoln Chafee ’75 P ’14 P ’17 spent his time in a different arena: the wrestling ring.

Quarter of undergrads support Warren in Democratic race

Metro, News, University News

October 18, 2019 0 comments

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., has emerged as the most popular Democratic presidential candidate among University undergraduates, with 24.2 percent indicating that they would vote for her if the 2020 primary were held today, according to The Herald’s fall 2019 poll.

Yesterday, five Brown students spoke about their involvement with 2020 presidential campaigns for the high-stakes upcoming election.

News, University News

Students discuss how to influence presidential, local elections

October 8, 2019 0 comments

As the 2020 presidential race heats up and young people prepare for a high-stakes election, University students are talking about how to best leave their mark.

Students show their support for various presidential candidates on campus with chalk statements. Groups have formed around Buttigieg, Sanders, Warren and Yang for the upcoming 2020 Democratic primary election.

News, University News

Students begin rallying behind presidential candidates

October 2, 2019 0 comments

As the 2020 elections loom large on campus, students have begun to form groups around presidential candidates to increase student support.