Topic: 2020 Presidential Election

From College Hill to campaign trail: how Brown students are getting politically involved virtually this semester

News, University News

October 15, 2020 0 comments

When Seth Goldstein ’22.5 voted in Wisconsin’s gubernatorial election in 2018, he woke up the next morning in tears — the candidate Goldstein supported, Democrat Tony Evers, had defeated Republican incumbent Scott Walker.

Apple ’21: A vote for Biden, a vote for empathy

Columns, Opinions

October 8, 2020 2 comments

In early February, at a CNN Town Hall, Episcopalian pastor Anthony Thompson, whose wife was killed in the Charleston Church shooting, asked Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden about his faith and about how he would use it in the Oval Office.

Paxson said that “so far, things are going well” for the University's testing program, which has reported less than one positive result per 1,000 tests.

News, University News

Paxson hopes to announce spring semester plans by end of October

October 6, 2020 0 comments

Although University plans for the spring semester are not yet “set in stone,” President Christina Paxson P’19 announced at a faculty meeting Tuesday that she hopes to make an initial decision by late October.

Brown Votes launches challenge aimed at 100 percent voter registration, turnout in 2020 election

News, University News

September 23, 2020 0 comments

When men’s basketball captain Tamenang Choh ’21 and his teammates returned to campus this year, they knew they wanted to take action beyond the court during this unusual fall semester.

Max Pushkin ’22.5, Dylan Douglas ’22, and Ben Lipson ’22 worked on Will Cunningham ’07’s campaign for Congress together before creating the political action committee Make Room recently.

News, University News

Brown students found progressive political action committee

September 9, 2020 0 comments

When Max Pushkin ’22.5, Dylan Douglas ’22 and Ben Lipson ’22.5 reluctantly finished their work on Will Cunningham’s ’07 campaign for Congress they wondered what more they could do to push progressive candidates and policies.

Letter: Biden should compromise with progressives. And he already has.

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

April 19, 2020 0 comments

To the Editor:  I agree with Arvind Veluvali ’20 that if moderate Democrats “are willing to make compromises to the right, they should be willing to do so to the left.” Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee for president, must make compromises with the progressive wing of the party. If […]

Shanmugam ’23: Why the Sanders campaign fell short, and what it says about elections in America

Columns, Opinions

April 16, 2020 1 comment

On Feb. 21, Bernie Sanders tweeted a defiant message to political power brokers: “I’ve got news for the Republican establishment. I’ve got news for the Democratic establishment. They can’t stop us.” 

Sanders said that while he is dropping out, he will remain on the ballot in the remaining primary states and gather delegates, in hopes of exerting influence over the party platform at the convention. 

Metro, News

Brown students react to Sen. Bernie Sanders dropping out of presidential race

April 8, 2020 1 comment

Senator Bernie Sanders announced Wednesday that he is ending his campaign for President of the United States, all but ensuring that former-Vice President Joe Biden will become the Democratic Nominee.

Gov. Raimondo orders postponement of Rhode Island primary

COVID-19 Updates, Metro, News

March 26, 2020 0 comments

Rhode Island Governor Gina Raimondo signed an executive order Monday postponing the 2020 presidential primary and shifting to a predominantly mail ballot model in light of escalating COVID-19 concerns. The election will occur June 2, according to the order, over a month later than the original date of April 28. 

Members of Brown Students for Bernie, Brown Students for Warren and Bruno for Pete traveled to New Hampshire last weekend to support their candidates.

Metro, News

Brown students canvas in NH Democratic primary

February 12, 2020 0 comments

When Alison Swinth ’22 knocked on the front door of a modest home in the outskirts of Epping, New Hampshire, she was greeted by a man wearing nothing but a towel.