Topic: 2020 Presidential Election

University faculty discussed the significance of the Jan. 6 Capital insurrection and the potential implications for the incoming Biden administration, as well as matters that will be at the forefront of the administration’s efforts.

Metro, News, University News

‘A historic moment in time for this democracy’: Watson inauguration talk shifts focus to Capitol riots

January 14, 2021 0 comments

“The Biden Administration: What to Expect,” a virtual panel held by the Taubman Center for American Politics and Policy on Jan. 12., initially aimed to present a “wide-ranging analysis and discussion of the potential policy and politics of the incoming administration.”

If Gov. Raimondo’s nomination to Biden’s cabinet is confirmed by the Senate, her vacancy will be filled by Lt. Gov. Dan McKee.

Metro, News

Brown political community reacts to Raimondo commerce nomination

January 11, 2021 0 comments

President-elect Joe Biden has officially tapped Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo for Commerce Secretary, calling her “one of the most effective, forward-thinking governors in America.” Raimondo’s nomination coincides with an economic crisis, which has caused 22 million Americans to lose their jobs due to the pandemic. 

Despite University policies prohibiting professors from taking political stances in classes, many professors provided accommodations or discussions to help students deal with the stress of the Presidential Election last week.

News, University News

Amid anxiety over U.S. Election results, professors pressed on with class

November 13, 2020 0 comments

For students like Renee Clairvoyant ’23, the uncertainty of last week’s election made it difficult to focus. “It was like my chest felt heavy,” Clairvoyant said. “I kept checking the maps every five minutes. I couldn’t really think about anything else.”

VP Carey: Despite increase in COVID-19 cases, ‘we don’t feel that we’ve seen spread on campus’

COVID-19 Updates, News, University News

November 5, 2020 0 comments

Executive Vice President of Planning and Policy Russell Carey ’91 MA’06 and University Spokesperson Brian Clark discussed Halloween weekend, the election and the recent uptick in positive asymptomatic test results in conversations with The Herald Oct. 29 and Nov 5.

Powell ’22: Where do we go from here?

Op-eds, Opinions

Powell ’22: Where do we go from here?

November 5, 2020 1 comment

Tuesday marked a milestone for many undergraduates at Brown. While most did not physically vote on Election Day, this election was the first time that many of us had the privilege and power of casting a ballot to decide the next President of the United States.

The University and student groups have created online resources for community members to reflect after Election Day this Tuesday.

News, University News

Brown prepares for students’ election anxiety with support resources

November 5, 2020 0 comments

In light of the presidential election, the University and student groups have prepared support resources for community members, hoping to address mental health concerns stemming from returning election results.

As vote tallying in key swing states continues, current results project a Biden victory

Metro, News

November 4, 2020 0 comments

As electoral votes are still being counted in key swing states like Nevada and Pennsylvania nearly 24 hours after Election Day, signs point to a potential victory for Joe Biden.

With incomplete results in presidential race, Brown University community waits anxiously

News, University News

November 4, 2020 0 comments

With no victor declared in the presidential race on election night, members of the University community from across the political spectrum are anxious — and cautiously optimistic.

IN PHOTOS: Election day through the eyes of Brown students

Metro, Multimedia, News, Photo Gallery

November 3, 2020 0 comments

On this Election Day, undergraduate students across the country exercised their right to vote. Despite the challenges of a pandemic, in-person voting remained a priority for many Brown students.

From College Hill to campaign trail: how Brown students are getting politically involved virtually this semester

News, University News

October 15, 2020 0 comments

When Seth Goldstein ’22.5 voted in Wisconsin’s gubernatorial election in 2018, he woke up the next morning in tears — the candidate Goldstein supported, Democrat Tony Evers, had defeated Republican incumbent Scott Walker.