Donate

Topic: Alpert Medical School

Students at the Warren Alpert Medical School were given a choice to start their matched residency program early or to stay in Rhode Island to assist with the Ocean State’s efforts to combat the virus—most elected to stay in Rhode Island.

News, Science & Research

Brown medical students given option to graduate early due to COVID-19

April 21, 2020 0 comments

The Alpert Medical School gave fourth-year medical students the option to graduate on April 15th, six weeks before planned, enabling them to work as residents and care for patients affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Neil Sarkar (left) and Ira Wilson (right) co-lead a partnership to delve into the state’s healthcare system by accessing claims data.

News, Science & Research

Claims database enhances health care research

January 23, 2020 0 comments

After securing access to Rhode Island’s All-Payer Claims Database through a partnership between Brown-based Advance Clinical and Translational Research and the Rhode Island Department of Health, five researchers now have the resources to ask questions about the state’s health care utilization.

98 percent of medical students match with residency programs

News, University News

March 20, 2019 0 comments

Amid a flurry of red, white and brown balloons, fourth-year Alpert Medical School students tore open bright red envelopes on Friday to discover which residency programs they would be attending.

University increases Graduate, Medical School tuition

News, University News

March 1, 2019 1 comment

Tuition for the University’s Graduate and Medical Schools will increase by 5.1 percent and 3 percent respectively next year following approval by the Corporation, the University’s highest governing body, earlier last month.

The University’s affiliated residency program for emergency medicine has been accused of violating the Animal Welfare Act. The University has denied any violations of federal regulations.

News, Science & Research

University affiliated residency program accused of violating federal act

February 1, 2019 0 comments

An advocacy group has accused the University of violating federal regulations by using live pigs in its affiliated residency program for emergency medicine, the Associated Press reported Wednesday.

Under Ziya Gokaslan’s P’18 tenure as chief of neurosurgery at the Med School, the department has expanded its number of labs and residency program.

News, Science & Research

Gokaslan P’18 reflects on path to chief of neurosurgery

November 25, 2018 0 comments

Ziya Gokaslan P’18 can trace his desire to be a doctor back to his childhood. His father was a surgeon, and his older brother is now an oncologist.

Med School’s opioid courses win international award

News, University News

October 24, 2018 0 comments

Earlier this month, the Alpert Medical School received the Curricular Innovation Award from the Association of American Medical Colleges.

To illustrate the impacts of head injuries, Ollin Venegas MD’20 constructed this model of the brain by molding it  from a ballistics gel solution in a skull.

News, Science & Research

Medical student creates 3D brain model

September 6, 2018 0 comments

Neurosurgeons could one day thank Ollin Venegas’ MD’20  presentation to high school students for allowing them to create detailed brain models of their patients.

U. reaches agreement with Partners, Care New England

Metro, News, University News

August 28, 2018 1 comment

The memorandum stated that Brown’s president will sit on the CNE Board of Directors and the dean of the Med School will sit on any subcommittees of the board if the merger goes through.

Op-eds, Opinions

Rivera Perla ’15 MD ’21: Increase undocumented student representation in medicine

April 24, 2018 3 comments

In recent years, American medical schools have publicly committed to enhancing the diversity of their student bodies.