Topic: arts and culture

“You” season two characters Joe Goldberg and Love Quinn bring U. alum Kepnes’ second “You” novel to life in hit Netflix series.

Arts & Culture

Alum reflects on ‘You,’ her novel turned series

January 30, 2020 0 comments

Saccharine narratives of love are commonplace in the romance genre. But Caroline Kepnes ’98.5 subverts the tired romantic cliche that we all love so much in her psychological thriller “You” — now adapted into the well-known television series.

Dipping bread in wine, known as Intinction, speaks to the shared Catholic traditions of Russell Bufalino (Joe Pesci) and Frank Sheeran (Robert De Niro). © 2019 Netlfix US, LLC. All rights reserved.

Arts & Culture, Reviews

‘The Irishman’ chronicles mafia history, lacks modern depth

December 5, 2019 0 comments

On Nov. 27, renowned Italian-American filmmaker Martin Scorsese — known for films including “Goodfellas,” “Taxi Driver,” “The Departed” and “The Wolf of Wall Street”— made his Netflix debut with his newest film “The Irishman.”

The album’s first song, “No Water,” is accompanied by a music video that revolves around the intersection of the surreal with the everyday. Simon released the album under the name "Dogmanjones."

Arts & Culture, Reviews

Brown senior releases debut album

December 3, 2019 2 comments

Gabe Simon ’20 released his debut album, “Mr. Adrian Goes to Kihei” last week under the stage name of “Dogmanjones.” Now available on Spotify and Apple Music, Dogman’s tracks resist any sort of neat denomination.

Dance Extension’s and Divine Rhythm’s performances featured students and guest choreographers such as Danny Buraczeski.

Arts & Culture

Fall dance performance marks 50 years of dance program at University

November 25, 2019 0 comments

In 1969, Julie Strandberg, distinguished senior lecturer in theatre arts and performance studies, founded the University’s Dance Program in the physical education department of Pembroke College.

The Ursa Minors, pictured above, were one of ten groups to perform on Thursday night in support of Community MusicWorks. The organization was founded in 1997 by Sebastian Ruth ’97 with funding from the Swearer Center. The “10:10” concert was the first time a student group has held an event to benefit the organization.

Arts & Culture

10:10 concert unites a cappella groups in support of local organization

November 11, 2019 0 comments

Ten a capella groups came together Thursday night in support of local music education organization, Community MusicWorks, for the “10:10” a capella concert held in the Friedman Auditorium of Metcalf Research Building.

In their second studio album of the year, guitarist and lead vocalist Adrienne Lenker underscores themes of physical movement and spirituality.

Arts & Culture, Reviews

Big Thief’s new album invokes earthliness

November 7, 2019 0 comments

On Oct. 11, indie outfit Big Thief released their second studio album of the year, “Two Hands,” which they described as the “earth twin” of their critically acclaimed, celestial album “U.F.O.F.”

Professor Jinying Li (left) spoke with filmmakers Wu Wenguang (right) and Hu Tao (center) and on their work for the Folk Memory Project.

Arts & Culture

Documentaries explore life in rural China

November 7, 2019 0 comments

A light flickers on in the darkness. A young woman’s face is lit up by the searchlight she holds, casting the room in a warm glow. As she moves forward, turning on more lights, a video plays in the background.

In “The Politician,” high schooler Payton Hobart strives to become class president in hopes of getting into Harvard and one day becoming president of the United States.

Arts & Culture, Reviews

Netflix’s ‘The Politician’ glosses over complex, intricate social issues

October 31, 2019 0 comments

Using cynicism splashed with bouts of humor, Ryan Murphy ambitiously takes on a swath of social issues in his newest project, “The Politician,” but this ambition ultimately leads to the show’s downfall.

“The Art of Embedded Histories” seeks to present Haiti in its own terms with complex and mixed media pieces split into two sections.

Arts & Culture

‘The Art of Embedded Histories’ seeks to redefine Haiti

October 31, 2019 0 comments

When walking through the Center for the Study of Slavery and Justice and the Cohen Gallery in the Granoff Center for the Creative Arts, students will notice a new collection of vibrant and communicative works.

Feinsod, a professor of comparative literature at Northwestern, spoke on how poetry can give voice to common crises of our time.

Arts & Culture

Lecture honors late professor, poet

October 31, 2019 0 comments

Each year since the unexpected passing of C.D. Wright in 2016, the late professor of literary arts has been honored through a lecture in her name.