Topic: Black History Month

Trailblazing Black athletes and coaches, William White, class of 1883, Fritz Pollard, class of 1919 and Jackie Court, a former gymnastics coach, contributed to the development of Brown Athletics on and off the field.

Sports

Pioneers on the playing field: Bruno’s first Black athletes and coaches

February 18, 2021 0 comments

While today’s Brown Athletics program displays diversity among its coaches and athletes, this has not always been the case. Throughout the history of Brown Athletics, trailblazing Black athletes and coaches have battled racism and adversity to earn athletic achievements while helping to build a more equitable program.

Redding participated in important University affairs, including the 1975 University Hall takeover.

News, University News

The Ivy League’s first Black faculty member: J. Saunders Redding’s impact on literature and academia

February 18, 2021 0 comments

Just over 60 years ago, long before Brown’s Africana Studies department and concentration came to be, a course on “African Americans in American Literature” was offered.

Ethel Tremaine Robinson overcame severe racism and sexism in order to become Brown’s first Black female alum in 1905, when she graduated from the University with honors.

News, University News

Brown’s first Black female graduate: Ethel Robinson’s legacy on College Hill

February 11, 2021 0 comments

Life at Brown had been changing rapidly at the turn of the 20th century.  A decade before, in 1891, University President Elisha Benjamin Andrews, class of 1870, began his quest to admit women to Brown for the first time.

Brown-Tougaloo partnership works to adapt in the face of COVID-19 uncertainty

News, University News

February 4, 2021 0 comments

During the height of the Civil Rights Movement in May 1964, the Mississippi state legislature threatened to revoke the charter of Tougaloo College, one of the nation’s oldest historically Black colleges and universities, for “fostering ‘agitation’ rather than education.” Brown stepped in to help.

Leaders from community organizations focused on BIPOC in Rhode Island spoke with The Herald about celebrations of Black History Month this year.

Metro, News

Community organizations prepare for pandemic Black History Month celebrations

February 4, 2021 0 comments

Celebrations of Black History Month will look different this year as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, but despite challenges posed by mostly-remote operations, organizations focused on Black, Indigenous and people of color plan on reaching more people this year than they have in the past.

George Washington Milford and Inman Page, Class of 1877, were the University's first Black graduates.

News, University News

“Genius is not always the gift of those in fortunate circumstances”: Brown’s first Black graduates

February 4, 2021 1 comment

On a Wednesday in June 1877, a procession of hundreds of students, alumni and community members marched across the campus of Brown University. Led by a marching band and a Providence sheriff, they crossed College, Benefit, Waterman and Main streets on the way to the First Baptist Meeting House. 

Stephon Alexander, Andrew Campbell and Arif Hamid were among 100 Black scientists recognized for their research, as well as their commitment to championing diversity and mentorship.

News, Science & Research

Academic journal honors three Black U. researchers

February 24, 2020 Comments are Disabled

Earlier this February, in honor of Black History Month, three University researchers were named to a list of “100 Inspiring Black Scientists in America” released by CellPress — the publisher of renowned research journals like Cell — through its blog CrossTalk.

Tatum, author of “Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?”, emphasized that ending race-conscious admissions would threaten critical engagements between students.

News, University News

Beverly Tatum discusses racial psychology at MLK Lecture

February 12, 2020 Comments are Disabled

Dr. Beverly Daniel Tatum visited the University Tuesday night for the 2020 Martin Luther King Jr. lecture, discussing at length what it means to be a person of color in America, both historically and today.

Thomas ’21: Reflecting on Black History Month

Columns, Opinions

February 25, 2019 Comments are Disabled

It’s Black History Month. Every February is dedicated to appreciating the history of black people in the United States. Superficially, people recognize the significance of this month of remembrance; when presented with the statement “Black History Month is important” many would agree.

School of Public Health sponsors first Black History Month lecture

News, University News

March 7, 2017 Comments are Disabled

2019 will mark the 400 year anniversary of the first Africans arriving in Jamestown to be sold as slaves.