Donate

Topic: Black Lives Matter

Paxson discusses national issues impacting College Hill at faculty meeting

News, University News

June 28, 2020 0 comments

President Christina Paxson P’19 discussed the recent federal actions and national issues, reaffirming the University’s support for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, Black Lives Matter movement and LGBTQ+ rights during Tuesday’s special faculty meeting.

More than 1,000 protestors participated in a youth-organized and led rally yesterday, which included a mile-long walk to the Rhode Island State House, several student speeches and a sit-in.

Metro, News

Providence youth lead Juneteenth rally, draw over 1,000 participants

June 20, 2020 0 comments

The march to the Rhode Island State House was loud. The eight minutes and 46 seconds spent sitting on the State House steps were almost silent. To recognize the 155th anniversary of Juneteenth, more than 1,000 protestors took part in a youth-led and organized rally in Providence Friday afternoon.

‘Racism is a public health issue’: Medical workers unite to support Black Lives Matter

Metro, News

June 15, 2020 0 comments

In the shadow of Hasbro Children’s Hospital, Chief Pediatrics Resident Alexis Thompson bowed her head in silence. She was motionless, surrounded by dozens of colleagues, clad in their white jackets, blue-green uniforms and face masks.

Businesses on Westminster Street were boarded up with plywood early last week.

Metro, News

‘The only people who were aggressive were the people who were here to protect us’: In Providence, community members reflect on protests

June 7, 2020 0 comments

When the police arrived on Westminster Street between late on the evening of June 1 and early in the morning of June 2, Assistant Professor of Economics Teddy Mekonnen was standing alongside his neighbor.

Kante ’21: A Letter to Our Allies

Op-eds, Opinions

Kante ’21: A Letter to Our Allies

June 4, 2020 0 comments

Dear Allies, My brother and I went to a protest in Dallas last Friday night to demand that the police and agents of white supremacy be held accountable for the murders of George Floyd and countless other Black lives. While we were on the streets, clamoring for justice, I realized […]

In Minneapolis, MN, a memorial has been erected at the site where George Floyd was killed by a white police officer May 25.

Metro, News

‘This country is leaving me pretty lost for words’: Students from Brown participate in, support George Floyd protests

June 3, 2020 0 comments

As protests against anti-Black police brutality have swelled across the country after George Floyd was killed by a white police officer on May 25, many University students from St. Paul, Minnesota to Atlanta, Georgia are among the tens of thousands taking action. 

News, University News

Activist talks nuances of Black Lives Matter

April 20, 2018 2 comments

The speaker’s black t-shirt matched his baseball cap. The shirt read “UNARMED CIVILIAN.”