Donate

Topic: Brown Dining Services

Fitness instructors from the Jonathan Nelson ’77 Fitness Center have expressed concern that their assignments were ended as opposed to furloughed.

COVID-19 Updates

Assignments for seasonal, intermittent workers terminated in troubled times

May 6, 2020 0 comments

While all of the University’s permanent staff workers have been able to keep their jobs, seasonal and intermittent employees — including programmers, seasonal cashiers and interns and fitness instructors and trainers — have not been as fortunate.

Employees for Brown Dining Services and the Department of Facilities Management continue to work on a rotating schedule to support those students still living on campus.

COVID-19 Updates, News, University News

Full-time, regular staff members still working while following public health guidelines

May 5, 2020 1 comment

As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to affect the livelihoods of millions of Americans, University staff members have had to adapt to changes in their work schedules and responsibilities.

Gail McCarthy has a wide fan base among students, who know her for her kindness while swiping their ID cards in dining halls on campus.

News, University News

Beloved cashier reflects on 17 years at University

October 7, 2019 0 comments

More than Sunday brunches in the Sharpe Refectory or the aroma of muffins in the Blue Room, Brown students love their dining experiences because of Gail McCarthy.

Jo’s shakes it up with salad, market changes

News, University News

September 19, 2019 0 comments

Students returned to Josiah’s this semester to find unchopped salads, a soup station and a row of vending machines in place of Little Jo’s.

BuDS workers respond to policy, leadership changes

News, University News

April 22, 2019 0 comments

Following a number of changes to the policies and leadership of Brown Dining Services student employees, members of the BuDS Student Management Team have voiced fears that BDS is not prioritizing the needs of student workers.

Dining Services raises wages for all student workers

News, University News

November 9, 2018 0 comments

Following discussions between Brown Dining Services and the BuDS student management team, Dining Services raised student workers’ wages for all positions, wrote Director of Dining Services Peter Rossi in an email to The Herald.

Bosis ’19: The agency problem in student employment

Op-eds, Opinions

October 16, 2018 1 comment

There has been some serious blowback, to say the least, around Brown Dining Services stemming from the extreme overworking of students in supervising and management positions.

Students claim BuDS creates unfair working environment

News, University News

October 12, 2018 0 comments

Due to alleged policy violations and understaffing, Brown Dining Services has reportedly created an unfair working environment that takes advantage of students, according to five current and former BuDS student employees.

Columns, Opinions

Foster ’19: Cooling towers won’t cut it

April 1, 2018 2 comments

The days are getting longer, and nor’easters notwithstanding, they’ll start getting warmer too.

Dining Services increases food prices, meal credit value

News, University News

October 9, 2017 0 comments

This year, students handed over $3.00 for Blue Room iced coffee.