Topic: Center for the Study of Race and Ethnicity in America

The event was part of the University's "'Race &' in America series," which hosts Brown scholars to analyze and discuss the history and effects of racism in the United States.

News, University News

‘Race & Genetics’ panel unpacks racism, misconceptions in field

March 24, 2021 0 comments

“You’re always going to have people who look to science to justify racism and skepticism,” said C. Brandon Ogbunu, a Yale assistant professor of ecology and evolutionary biology. “Our job as scientists is to make (skeptics) have to be more and more magical about the way that they get there.” […]

With generous donor contributions, BrownTogether gifts and grants have raised over $20 million since the last academic year, providing much needed financial support to priorities outlined in the Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan.

News, University News

BrownTogether raises $20 million for diversity and inclusion initiatives

March 22, 2021 3 comments

BrownTogether gifts and grants have raised more than $20 million since the start of the last academic year to support priorities outlined in the Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan, the University announced in a Feb. 26 news release.

Students developing projects will have access to resources and support from both the Center for Study of Race and Ethnicity and the Nelson Center for Entrepreneurship

News, University News

Center for Study of Race and Ethnicity, Nelson Center for Entrepreneurship create joint grant program to address anti-Black racism

March 10, 2021 1 comment

The Center for the Study of Race and Ethnicity in America and the Nelson Center for Entrepreneurship established a new grant program to provide funding for students who create and lead projects that address anti-Black and systemic racism, according to a Feb. 11 Today@Brown announcement. 

U. received a Mellon Foundation grant alongside UChicago, Stanford and Yale to “re-conceptualize” research approaches.

News, Science & Research

CSREA receives Mellon Foundation grant to support research, programs

February 3, 2020 Comments are Disabled

The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation awarded a $4 million research grant to be split equally between four centers across universities, including the University’s Center for the Study of Race and Ethnicity in America. The grant will fund new programs, research and public events at the University relating to issues supporting […]

Lisa Biggs, Assistant Professor of Africana Studies, read an excerpt of her latest work, a book on the impact of art for incarcerated women. Audience members listened to Biggs' talk and conversed with her after the lecture.

Arts & Culture

Professor shares work on black feminist theater for incarcerated women

March 21, 2019 Comments are Disabled

While it is unusual for drama clubs and the crisis of mass incarceration to share ground in a line of inquiry, Assistant Professor of Africana Studies Lisa Biggs spoke about the nexus of the two during a presentation Tuesday.

Filmmaker Kimi Takesue speaks about her documentary titled “95 and 6 to Go,” which follows her grandfather over the course of six years. Her film was screened at the Granoff Center last Thursday.

Arts & Culture

‘95 and 6 to Go’ explores memory, love, loss

February 26, 2019 Comments are Disabled

In her documentary “95 and 6 to Go,” Kimi Takesue illustrates a portrait of her Japanese-American grandfather, offering a moving and intimate perspective on memory, love and family. The Center for the Study of Race and Ethnicity in America held a screening and a question-and-answer session for the film with […]

Radical Monarchs talk sisterhood, social justice

News, University News

October 4, 2018 Comments are Disabled

Radical Monarchs co-founders Anayvette Martinez and Marilyn Hollinquest kicked off a revelatory and reflective evening Wednesday night by asking audience members to imagine themselves as eleven year olds again.

CSREA kicks off with exhibit featuring artists of color

Arts & Culture

September 13, 2017 Comments are Disabled

The Center for the Study of Race and Ethnicity in America opened the 2017-18 academic year with the exhibit “The Body As Site Of.”