Topic: Christina Paxson

Convocation keynote address discusses ‘new normal’ in Brown ethics

News, University News

September 8, 2020 0 comments

In his keynote address at the University’s 257th Opening Convocation, Associate Professor of Religious Studies Andre C. Willis discussed the “new normal” in daily life and ethics during this time of global unrest — a new normal reflected in the University’s first-ever convocation to occur entirely online.

“Like nothing I could have imagined”: A glimpse of working from home with President Paxson

News, University News

September 8, 2020 0 comments

Since the University transitioned to remote operations in March, students, faculty and staff have had to adjust to a new world of virtual interaction, with both their work and social lives moving online.

Letter: To build distinction in athletics, Brown made painful but necessary decision

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

July 17, 2020 5 comments

To the Editor: I write as a Brown alumnus, proud parent of two Brown graduates and Chancellor of the University with deep respect for the perspectives of members of our community. 

Brownsword ’18: New ‘Excellence’ Initiative Product of Decade-Long Athletic Program Mismanagement

Op-eds, Opinions

July 1, 2020 1 comment

On May 28, President Christina Paxson P’19 announced the University’s athletic program would take on a new direction:

Moyer ’21— From eight former varsity teams: We have still been wronged

Op-eds, Opinions

June 19, 2020 3 comments

Earlier this month, 65 returning varsity athletes on the Men’s Track & Field and Men’s Cross Country teams were able to show the administration that their decision was ill informed; their team was reinstated. To those 65 men, we say congratulations.

Men’s Track & Field, Cross Country athletes, alums react to reinstatement

News, Sports, University News

June 10, 2020 2 comments

On Tuesday evening, President Christina Paxson  P’19 released a statement reversing a May 28 decision to eliminate the Men’s Track and Field and Cross Country teams as part of the University’s Excellence in Brown Athletics Initiative, which demoted 11 varsity teams to club status.

Letter: Coverage of Excellence in Brown Athletics Initiative

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

June 9, 2020 0 comments

To the Editor: Thank you for your recent coverage of the University’s recent athletics decisions, as well as many reactions described in published opinion pieces.

Mackie ’59 — An Open Letter to the Brown Community: The Price of Winning

Op-eds, Opinions

June 7, 2020 0 comments

The May 28 announcement arrived without warning — a thunderbolt from above, striking the hearts of legions within the University athletic community.

Paxson addresses criticism of decision to demote 11 varsity sports

News, Sports, University News

June 6, 2020 0 comments

President Christina Paxson P’19 addressed circulating concerns regarding the recent demotion of 11 varsity teams to club status in a community-wide email Saturday, offering greater detail about how the decision was made and the motivation behind it. 

Demoted varsity athletes petition Brown for reinstatement

News, Sports, University News

June 4, 2020 3 comments

In response to the University’s recent announcement that 11 varsity teams would be demoted to the club level as part of a new Excellence in Brown Athletics initiative, student athletes have mobilized to organize their teammates, peers, parents and alumni networks to petition for more answers.