Donate

Topic: Christina Paxson

Brownsword ’18: New ‘Excellence’ Initiative Product of Decade-Long Athletic Program Mismanagement

Op-eds, Opinions

July 1, 2020 1 comment

On May 28, President Christina Paxson P’19 announced the University’s athletic program would take on a new direction:

Moyer ’21— From eight former varsity teams: We have still been wronged

Op-eds, Opinions

June 19, 2020 3 comments

Earlier this month, 65 returning varsity athletes on the Men’s Track & Field and Men’s Cross Country teams were able to show the administration that their decision was ill informed; their team was reinstated. To those 65 men, we say congratulations.

Men’s Track & Field, Cross Country athletes, alums react to reinstatement

News, Sports, University News

June 10, 2020 2 comments

On Tuesday evening, President Christina Paxson  P’19 released a statement reversing a May 28 decision to eliminate the Men’s Track and Field and Cross Country teams as part of the University’s Excellence in Brown Athletics Initiative, which demoted 11 varsity teams to club status.

Letter: Coverage of Excellence in Brown Athletics Initiative

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

June 9, 2020 0 comments

To the Editor: Thank you for your recent coverage of the University’s recent athletics decisions, as well as many reactions described in published opinion pieces.

Mackie ’59 — An Open Letter to the Brown Community: The Price of Winning

Op-eds, Opinions

June 7, 2020 0 comments

The May 28 announcement arrived without warning — a thunderbolt from above, striking the hearts of legions within the University athletic community.

Paxson addresses criticism of decision to demote 11 varsity sports

News, Sports, University News

June 6, 2020 0 comments

President Christina Paxson P’19 addressed circulating concerns regarding the recent demotion of 11 varsity teams to club status in a community-wide email Saturday, offering greater detail about how the decision was made and the motivation behind it. 

Demoted varsity athletes petition Brown for reinstatement

News, Sports, University News

June 4, 2020 3 comments

In response to the University’s recent announcement that 11 varsity teams would be demoted to the club level as part of a new Excellence in Brown Athletics initiative, student athletes have mobilized to organize their teammates, peers, parents and alumni networks to petition for more answers. 

On April 26, the New York Times published an op-ed written by President Christina Paxson P’19 titled “College Campuses Must Reopen in the Fall. Here’s How We Do It.”

COVID-19 Updates, News, University News

Paxson’s NYT op-ed on fall reopening met with mixed reactions from Brown community

May 4, 2020 5 comments

President Christina Paxson P’19’s April 26 New York Times op-ed, titled “College Campuses Must Reopen in the Fall. Here’s How We Do It,” has received mixed reactions from University students and faculty.

In NYT op-ed, Paxson says colleges ‘must reopen in the fall’

COVID-19 Updates, News, University News

April 26, 2020 17 comments

In an April 26 op-ed published in the New York Times, President Christina Paxson P’19 detailed the importance of reopening college campuses in the fall, as well as the potential detriment to higher education and the national economy if they remain closed.

Ruzicka ’21: To Brown administrators: Don’t silence student voices

Columns, Opinions

April 9, 2020 0 comments

About two and a half years ago, I arrived at Brown as a first-year, flush with pride and new hope. Pride because I had heard from multiple people that Brown was not only an academically prestigious university but also one rooted in respect for input from the student body.