Topic: class action lawsuit

Brown files to dismiss class action lawsuit demanding refund over COVID-19 closure

COVID-19 Updates, News, University News

September 1, 2020 3 comments

The University has filed a motion to dismiss a class action lawsuit brought by students seeking reimbursement of tuition, fees, and room and board following the University’s decision to close campus in March and transition exclusively to online learning amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Brown student files class-action lawsuit against University for tuition, fee refunds

News, University News

May 1, 2020 11 comments

A Brown student filed a class-action lawsuit against the University demanding a refund for tuition, fees and/or room and board he claims he was unlawfully charged for because the COVID-19 pandemic forced the University to close its campus and cancel in-person classes.

The plaintiffs in the BuDS lawsuit are seeking compensation for time employees spent "on-call" for work. The lawsuit looks to address an alleged violation of state labor law, citing intentional underpayment and stringent rules for "on-call" workers.

News, University News

Ten students opt in to BuDS lawsuit against University

February 6, 2019 Comments are Disabled

Ten current and former Brown Dining Services student employees have opted-in to the collective civil action lawsuit against the University filed Jan. 24, according to Richard Sinapi, principal attorney at Sinapi Law Associates, who is representing the plaintiffs.