Topic: class of 2021

Alumni Relations will also run regional events next year for the class of 2020.

News, University News

University announces class of 2020 in-person Commencement

May 6, 2021 0 comments

The University will host a delayed in-person Commencement ceremony for the class of 2020 either this fall, in either September or October 2021 or over Memorial Day weekend in May 2022, according to an email from President Christina Paxson P’19 to members of the class of 2020.

Zooming through senior year and into adulthood

News, University News

May 1, 2021 0 comments

For many seniors, the COVID-19 pandemic changed the shape of their college experience, and for all, it has reshaped the world they will enter after they graduate.

Commencement 2021 | Sophie Culpepper ’21: Losing spring, and finding home

Columns, Opinions

April 29, 2021 0 comments
This article is part of the series 2021 Commencement Magazine

Before last March, I had never seen someone open a trash can with their elbows. For whatever reason, that is the detail I visualize when I recall my first impression of what would soon explode into the COVID-19 pandemic:

Commencement 2021 | Wassa Bagayoko ’21: In Deo Speramus, In God We Hope

Columns, Opinions

April 29, 2021 0 comments

Hello, my fellow graduates, friends, families, and honored guests. My name is Wassa Bagayoko,  and it is my distinct honor and deep pleasure to address you this morning.

Commencement 2021 | George Daccache ’21: This Is Life as Transit

Columns, Opinions

April 29, 2021 0 comments

I did not first move into Brown during a pandemic, but I might as well have. As most of us have found ourselves during the past 14 months, in that moment in September 2017, taking my very first steps on College Hill, I was completely alone.

Senior Column | Celia Hack ’21: Changing my metric of success

Columns, Opinions

April 29, 2021 0 comments

I was never someone who dreamed of moving to a big city; I remember visiting New York City when I was a kid and hating it. But my excitement to move to Brown stemmed, in large part, from a belief I hadn’t even been conscious of holding: that step one in ‘making it’ was leaving home, and the Midwest, behind.

Commencement 2021 | Augustus Kmetz ’21: Ever True

Columns, Opinions

April 29, 2021 0 comments

As a member of the Band — yeah, those sickos who wake you up early every Parent’s Weekend — I’ve heard a lot of Brown school songs (and occasionally remembered how to play them). Our fight song, Ever True to Brown, is fitting for our class of 2021.

Senior Column | Jordan Allums ’21: Beyond resisting, toward living as a Black alum

Columns, Opinions

April 29, 2021 0 comments

In high school, I once joked that I didn’t find out I was Black until my first day of sixth grade.  That is, of course, an exaggeration; my parents and my parents’ parents are Black, and I have never dissociated myself from my identity.

Senior Column | Sarah Martinez ’21: Letting go of the gold and accepting the value of the invaluable

Columns, Opinions

April 28, 2021 0 comments

This article is part of the series 2021 Commencement MagazineThe age-old adage states that college is where you find yourself and your people. At 18, I wished fervently to “find myself” falling in love with math, championing the resolution of some low-level environmental issue, graduating with straight A’s in my […]

Senior Column | Krista Stapleford ’21: On painful beginnings and surprising self-acceptance

Columns, Opinions

April 28, 2021 1 comment

When I first arrived on Brown’s campus the day of first-year move-in, I wasn’t all that different from any of my peers chaotically flooding the University gates.