Donate

Topic: College Admissions Scandal

University accepts record low 17.5 percent of early decision applicants

News, University News

December 12, 2019 1 comment

The University accepted a record low 17.5 percent of early applicants to the class of 2024, according to Dean of Admission Logan Powell. A total of 4,562 students applied to the University through early decision, an 8 percent increase from last year which Powell called a “remarkable rate of growth.”

University to host forum on divestment committee

News, University News

September 4, 2019 0 comments

The University will host a community forum this fall to discuss the possibility of replacing the Advisory Committee on Corporate Responsibility in Investment Policies, which considers moral responsibility in the University’s investments.

Bandler ’22: It’s time to look beyond celebrity admissions scandals

Op-eds, Opinions

April 23, 2019 Comments are Disabled

The Granoff dinner was an embarrassment for the University, and it is undeniably immoral that the uber-rich, like Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman, can pay or cheat their way into elite institutions and receive special benefits once admitted.

Paxson defended her position on divestment at Tuesday’s meeting.  Faculty also voted to recommend a petition process for early graduation.

News, University News

Faculty recommend eliminating payment-based early graduation

April 3, 2019 1 comment

Faculty passed a motion recommending the Corporation revise current policies regarding degree requirements, including eliminating payment-based accelerated graduation, during the faculty meeting Tuesday.

Reed ’21: The Virtue of Failure

Opinions

Reed ’21: The Virtue of Failure

March 21, 2019 Comments are Disabled

Imagine not being allowed to fail. Imagine growing up, seeing failure on the horizon, only to have your parents swoop in and save you. You never learn from your mistakes, because you rarely make any of consequence.

Athletic Director Jack Hayes offered Gordon Ernst ’89, a Division I tennis coach recently indicted in the national college admissions scandal, the head coaching position for men’s tennis in 2016.

News, Sports, University News

University offered coaching position to alum indicted in admissions scandal

March 20, 2019 3 comments

Gordon Ernst ’89, a Division I tennis coach recently indicted in the national college admissions scandal, was offered the head coaching position for Brown’s men’s tennis team in 2016 while federal authorities allege he was accepting millions of dollars in bribes as a coach at Georgetown University.