Topic: COVID-19 college sports

Women's Crew dominated in the University's first athletics competition since March of 2020.

Sports

Women’s crew rings in return of Brown athletics with victory over URI

April 8, 2021 0 comments

Until Saturday, no Brown athletic team had competed for 388 days due to the suspension of sports during the COVID-19 pandemic. But with a victory over the University of Rhode Island and a sweep of all four races, women’s crew had an impressive showing in Brown’s first athletic competition since March 2020.

The COVID-19 pandemic has prevented in-person athletics recruiting, challenging coaches to attract prospective student-athletes in new ways.

Sports

Athletics department shifts recruitment to a virtual setting due to COVID-19

March 9, 2021 1 comment

The University’s sports teams are facing unprecedented challenges in recruiting in light of the NCAA’s decision to limit in-person contact between coaches and prospective athletes. 

Seniors react to Ivy League’s fifth year sports eligibility waiver

Sports

February 28, 2021 0 comments

Women’s track and field runner Samantha Valentine ’21 had already committed to another university for graduate school when the Ivy League announced Feb. 11 that it would offer graduating fourth-year athletes the opportunity to compete as graduate students at their current institution in the 2021-22 season. 

The Ivy League Council of Presidents waived Ivy rules for the upcoming academic year to allow fourth-year seniors future eligibility.

News, Sports, University News

Ivy League to allow for fifth year of varsity sport eligibility in midst of pandemic

February 11, 2021 0 comments

The Ivy League will allow fourth-year senior student-athletes, who may have lost playing time due to COVID-19-related cancellations in their final year of sports eligibility, to continue playing their varsity sport for the 2021-22 season if they are accepted to and enroll as a graduate student at their current …

Coaches prepare to move to Ivy League Phase One of athletic participation

News, Sports

February 1, 2021 0 comments

The Department of Athletics is planning to move into phase one of the Ivy League’s COVID-19 restrictions surrounding athletic activity on Thursday, according to a head coaches meeting held Monday morning with Interim Athletics Director Colin Sullivan. The University, which will make the ultimate decision on whether Brown will step […]

Reaching Ivy League Phase Four, which would permit athletes to participate in limited levels of local competition, will depend on public health conditions and the campus-wide restrictions specific to each Ivy League institution.

Sports

Ivy League cancels winter sports due to COVID-19

November 12, 2020 1 comment

The Ivy League will cancel winter sports for the 2020-21 season due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, according to an official statement published Thursday. Spring sports will not begin until at least the end of February.