Topic: COVID-19 research

The COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha: Marching Forward One Year Later

COVID-19 Updates, Multimedia, News, Podcasts, Science & Research, University News

March 13, 2021 0 comments

One year into the pandemic, and on the anniversary of the day Brown announced it would be closing to students and faculty in the wake of COVID-19 in March of 2020, The COVID Pod team welcomes Dean of the School of Public Health Ashish Jha to have a conversation about looking ahead.

A dial indicates to users how risky a given activity is. Researchers hope that the MyCOVIDRisk app will impact behavior of people under 40, who tend to adhere less to COVID-19 guidelines and be more online.

Science & Research

MyCOVIDRisk app considers user behavior to calculate risk of contracting COVID-19

November 4, 2020 0 comments

As the threat of COVID-19 infection continues to loom over everyday activities, two University researchers created a free and accessible app called MyCOVIDRisk to help people quantify their risk of infection from specific activities and use that information to mitigate risk through their behavior. 

The COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha: Voting, Lockdowns and Case Counts

COVID-19 Updates, News, Podcasts

October 30, 2020 0 comments

On the eve of Halloween, Dr. Ashish Jha joins The Herald’s COVID Pod team to discuss the implications of the Nov. 3 presidential election and how to safely exercise the right to vote. Dr. Jha also touches on the lockdowns occurring in multiple European countries and what that means for the United States.

Predicting outcomes of COVID-19: Brown professors describe the ‘art’ of drawing the curve in epidemiological modeling

COVID-19 Updates, News, Science & Research

September 28, 2020 0 comments

Picture thousands of undergraduate students unpacking their bags at an isolated Brown University campus free from outside contact amid the COVID-19 pandemic. In this simplified scenario, a certain number of these students are carrying stowaway SARS-CoV-2 particles.

Pulling narratives from pages of COVID-19 health data

News, Science & Research

September 14, 2020 0 comments

The numbers, labels and descriptions pertaining to medical patients and COVID-19 cases that are housed in electronic health records may seem to be nothing more than a track record — a jumble of information a physician updates, typing away as their patient sits down for a visit.

Modified CURE courses, though dealing with significant constraints because of the pandemic, are still giving students the opportunity to conduct original research.

News, Science & Research

Faculty reimagine their research, research-based courses during COVID-19

September 14, 2020 0 comments

Laboratories and lab-based courses have gradually regained momentum, filling up University faculty’s schedules once again and prompting the redesign of their day-to-day operations and class syllabi.

To examine the effects of COVID-19 on communities, Brown researchers turn to data

News, Science & Research

September 10, 2020 0 comments

With the assistance of the University’s COVID-19 Research Seed Fund, some research groups have focused their microscopes on the viral particles behind the infection, while others have built technology to approach the pandemic’s challenges from various angles.

Graphene Composites has partnered with researchers at the University to test the efficacy of their new graphene ink, which can coat PPE and kill incoming viruses. The product includes ultra thin sheets of graphene molecules that capture SARS-CoV-2 particles. Silver nanoparticles float in and destroy its exterior shell.

News, Science & Research

Now you see me, now you don’t: Using artificial intelligence to identify COVID-19, developing a PPE coating to stop it in its tracks

August 19, 2020 0 comments

Instead of relying on only a physical barrier, what if scientists were to develop a substance capable of killing COVID-19’s viral particles when they come in contact with personal protective equipment?

The nation's leading infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci spoke to the Brown Community in a live-streamed Zoom call Friday, in conversation with Ashish Jha, the incoming dean of the School of Public Health.

‘This is going to end:’ Anthony Fauci joins Ashish Jha to address COVID-19 pandemic in live-streamed Brown event

August 8, 2020 2 comments

Anthony Fauci, the nation’s leading infectious disease expert, spoke through  screens to the Brown community and the public Friday afternoon, sharing practical public health advice and updates on the nation’s COVID-19 response.

University researchers funded by COVID-19 Seed Fund collaborate on life-saving machinery, diagnostic devices for patients, including “PufferFish” ventilator and “Bubbler” COVID-19 testing kit

Take a breath

July 18, 2020 0 comments

To assist in the battle against COVID-19, a number of University research projects in progress since early spring seek to develop new technology molded to the needs of medical personnel, COVID-19 patients and testing sites.