Topic: COVID-19 research

Pulling narratives from pages of COVID-19 health data

News, Science & Research

September 14, 2020 0 comments

The numbers, labels and descriptions pertaining to medical patients and COVID-19 cases that are housed in electronic health records may seem to be nothing more than a track record — a jumble of information a physician updates, typing away as their patient sits down for a visit.

Modified CURE courses, though dealing with significant constraints because of the pandemic, are still giving students the opportunity to conduct original research.

News, Science & Research

Faculty reimagine their research, research-based courses during COVID-19

September 14, 2020 0 comments

Laboratories and lab-based courses have gradually regained momentum, filling up University faculty’s schedules once again and prompting the redesign of their day-to-day operations and class syllabi.

To examine the effects of COVID-19 on communities, Brown researchers turn to data

News, Science & Research

September 10, 2020 0 comments

With the assistance of the University’s COVID-19 Research Seed Fund, some research groups have focused their microscopes on the viral particles behind the infection, while others have built technology to approach the pandemic’s challenges from various angles.

Graphene Composites has partnered with researchers at the University to test the efficacy of their new graphene ink, which can coat PPE and kill incoming viruses. The product includes ultra thin sheets of graphene molecules that capture SARS-CoV-2 particles. Silver nanoparticles float in and destroy its exterior shell.

News, Science & Research

Now you see me, now you don’t: Using artificial intelligence to identify COVID-19, developing a PPE coating to stop it in its tracks

August 19, 2020 0 comments

Instead of relying on only a physical barrier, what if scientists were to develop a substance capable of killing COVID-19’s viral particles when they come in contact with personal protective equipment?

The nation's leading infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci spoke to the Brown Community in a live-streamed Zoom call Friday, in conversation with Ashish Jha, the incoming dean of the School of Public Health.

COVID-19 Updates, News, Science & Research

‘This is going to end:’ Anthony Fauci joins Ashish Jha to address COVID-19 pandemic in live-streamed Brown event

August 8, 2020 2 comments

Anthony Fauci, the nation’s leading infectious disease expert, spoke through  screens to the Brown community and the public Friday afternoon, sharing practical public health advice and updates on the nation’s COVID-19 response.

University researchers funded by COVID-19 Seed Fund collaborate on life-saving machinery, diagnostic devices for patients, including “PufferFish” ventilator and “Bubbler” COVID-19 testing kit

Take a breath

July 18, 2020 0 comments

To assist in the battle against COVID-19, a number of University research projects in progress since early spring seek to develop new technology molded to the needs of medical personnel, COVID-19 patients and testing sites.

Starting at the microscopic level: COVID-19 researchers at Brown combat viral proteins

News, Science & Research

June 17, 2020 0 comments

With the assistance of the COVID-19 Research Seed Fund awards, several projects are diving in to investigate COVID-19 on the microscopic, molecular level.

Brown assistant professor co-leads ongoing investigation on link between hair-loss causing hormones, COVID-19

April 23, 2020 0 comments

In an ongoing, international effort co-led by University Assistant Professor of Dermatology Carlos Wambier, researchers are looking into the potential relationship between androgen, a class of male sex hormones that include testosterone, and infection from COVID-19.

Researchers at the University are archiving memes from the Facebook page “Brown Dank Stash of Memes for S/NC Teens."

Documenting history as it happens: Brown archivists collect COVID-19 stories, experiences from community

April 13, 2020 0 comments

As members of the University community navigate the challenges of life away from campus, University archivists are making headway on projects that seek to document those experiences.

Jeff Bailey, Wafik El-Deiry and Daniel Harris are three researchers who have shifted their traditionall studies aside as they pursue COVID-19 related projects

Brown researchers combat COVID-19 in the lab, clinic

April 2, 2020 0 comments

While researchers across the University had to close their doors and hang up their lab coats for the foreseeable future on March 18, some labs have found ways to keep their doors open for the benefit of the community amid the COVID-19 crisis.