Topic: COVID-19 testing

The University encourages community members to receive the COVID-19 vaccine, according to Vice President for Planning and Policy Russell Carey ’91 MA’06, who cited vaccinations as a means of helping to prevent the spread of variants.

COVID-19 Updates, News, University News

VP Carey discusses student COVID-19 vaccine requirement for fall, COVID-19 protocol moving forward

April 9, 2021 0 comments

Sixteen University community members tested positive for COVID-19 through the asymptomatic testing program from April 1 to April 7, Executive Vice President for Planning and Policy Russell Carey ’91 MA’06 told The Herald in a conversation April 8.

The University is currently discussing whether to make the COVID-19 vaccine a requirement for students and employees.

News, University News

VP Carey: Brown is ‘strongly encouraging’ vaccinations, but no ‘expectations’ for on-campus vaccination site

March 21, 2021 0 comments

Governor Dan McKee announced Thursday that Rhode Island will move up the COVID-19 vaccine eligibility date for all adults to April 19. The University “welcomes” the announcement, Executive Vice President for Planning and Policy Russell Carey ’91 MA’06 told The Herald in a conversation March 19.

The University saw 23 positive COVID-19 cases in the week of Mar. 7 to Mar. 13, according to Executive Vice President for Planning and Policy Russell Carey ’91 MA’06.

News, University News

Campus COVID-19 cases trend in an ‘encouraging direction’ while state vaccine eligibility expands

March 14, 2021 0 comments

As the University reported relatively steady levels of asymptomatic COVID-19 cases among community members from last week through its testing program, Rhode Island saw increased vaccine eligibility. 

Since the testing program began on Aug. 24, the number of completed tests has now surpassed 250,000.

News, University News

VP Carey: Brown community sees ‘encouraging’ declines in positive COVID-19 cases following spike

March 7, 2021 0 comments

The University saw a decrease in positive COVID-19 cases this week after a spike in numbers the previous week.

The COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha: Optimistic Outcomes and Overcoming Hurdles: Managing COVID-19 in March 2021

COVID-19 Updates, Multimedia, News, Podcasts, Science & Research, University News

March 3, 2021 0 comments

In this episode of The COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha, recorded Tuesday, March 2, Dr. Jha speaks to the importance of equitable vaccine distribution, ventilation over sanitation for public spaces and the promises of the recently authorized Johnson and Johnson vaccine amid the rise of new virus variants.

(Photo: Tracy Pan / Herald)

Students receive email reminders to book a follow-up appointment three days after their most recent COVID test.

News, University News

University increases frequency of follow-ups for student testing in spring semester

March 1, 2021 0 comments

For undergraduates living on or off campus, testing is required twice a week, while graduate students are either required to test once or twice a week depending on time spent on campus, according to the Healthy Brown website. 

The University plans to distribute new mask kits at the testing sites starting Monday. Campus activity level remains at level 2.

News, University News

VP Carey: Brown sees highest number of weekly positive cases in spring, but ‘not alarmed’ yet

February 28, 2021 1 comment

The University saw its highest number of weekly positive COVID-19 cases for the spring semester so far from Feb. 21 to Feb. 28 after a steady decline in positive COVID-19 cases since students’ arrival this semester.

Schmidt ’21: Can LAMP testing for COVID-19 light the way to the end of the pandemic?

Columns, Opinions

February 24, 2021 0 comments

It has been over a year since the first COVID-19 case was confirmed in the United States, and in a month, it will be a year since COVID-19 was declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization.

The COVID-19 testing centers at the OMAC and One Davol Square were both closed Monday due to supply shortages.

News, University News

COVID-19 testing at OMAC, One Davol Square paused due to supplies shortage

February 22, 2021 0 comments

The Olney-Margolies Athletic Complex and One Davol Square in the Jewelry District, two of three venues where asymptomatic COVID-19 tests are being conducted, canceled all remaining scheduled tests Monday mid-day due to supply shortages.

Pollard ’21: The University needs to be more transparent about employee testing

Columns, Opinions

February 21, 2021 0 comments

With students living in Brown-leased hotels and apartments downtown, the Brown shuttle is an integral part of student  access to campus. The Brown shuttles have expanded their routes this semester, but many riders still don’t know that shuttle drivers are not included in Brown’s routine COVID-19 testing program.