Topic: COVID-19 testing

University sent an email announcement laying out new COVID-19 restrictions in response to a rise in positive asymptomatic cases on campus.

COVID-19 Updates, News, Science & Research

Brown monitoring community-wide COVID-19 restrictions

September 19, 2021 0 comments

The University reported 61 positive COVID-19 tests from Sept. 12 to Sept. 18 through the asymptomatic testing program as of Sunday night, according to the Healthy Brown COVID-19 Dashboard.

University temporarily suspends in-person dining and increases undergraduate testing to twice weekly in light of the uptick in asymptomatic cases last week.

News, University News

University halts in-person dining, limits social gatherings after uptick in COVID-19 cases

September 13, 2021 16 comments

The University will halt in-person dining, increase mandatory testing and restrict social gatherings among other temporary restrictions in light of an increase in positive asymptomatic cases in the undergraduate population over the past week, according to a community-wide email Monday.

Vaccinated individuals no longer need to quarantine after being exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID-19 but must get tested four days after exposure.

Brown sees peak in asymptomatic, positive COVID-19 cases since Aug. 2020

September 13, 2021 1 comment

The University reported 70 positive COVID-19 cases through the asymptomatic testing program from Sept. 5 to Sept. 11, according to the Healthy Brown COVID-19 Dashboard  as of Sunday afternoon.

The OMAC has been returned to its pre-pandemic function as an athletic center for usage in the new school year.

Metro, News

U. shuts OMAC testing site

September 7, 2021 0 comments

The Olney-Margolies Athletic Center, which has been the primary asymptomatic COVID-19 testing site for students since they returned to campus last fall, closed yesterday. Two new sites — one in the lower level of Alumnae Hall on Pembroke campus and one in the former health services building will take its place today.

The decision to return to its previous guidelines comes just weeks after the University’s July 7 announcement that fully vaccinated individuals would no longer have to wear masks while inside campus facilities.

News, University News

U. reinstates masking, other protocols, citing Delta variant concerns

August 3, 2021 4 comments

The University has reinstated its mask-wearing requirement for vaccinated individuals in indoor facilities on campus, increased its required COVID-19 testing frequency for on-campus community members and revised its initial plan for employees to return to on-campus operations, citing the rapid spread of variants.

Just shy of a month ago, the University announced its decision to remove fully vaccinated individuals from its routine testing program.

News, University News

Brown reinstates routine COVID-19 testing for all students, cites uptick in variants

July 27, 2021 2 comments

The University will reinstate its COVID-19 testing requirement for all community members starting August 16 with plans to maintain it through September at least, Vice President of Planning and Policy Russell Carey ’91 MA’06 wrote in a Monday email to the Brown community. 

With summer semester ending on Aug. 13 and fall semester approaching, the University continues planning for increased population on campus while monitoring the Delta variant and public health guidelines.

News, University News

Brown considers adjustments for fall semester as asymptomatic, symptomatic COVID-19 testing rates remain low

July 26, 2021 0 comments

The University continues to watch public health conditions while preparing for changes leading up to the fall semester, including further reopening of campus dining halls.

The new policies outlined by Carey hinge on near-universal vaccination rates by the start of the fall semester.

COVID-19 Updates, News, University News

Brown outlines policies for return to normal

June 23, 2021 1 comment

The University will drop nearly all pandemic-related restrictions by the fall semester or sooner, assuming near-universal vaccination rates on campus, Executive Vice President for Planning and Policy Russell Carey ’91 MA ’06 wrote in a Wednesday email to the University community. 

The percentage of students on-campus who have documented COVID-19 vaccinations with the University surpasses 75 percent and nearly reaches 70 percent for on-campus employees.

Brown ‘on a very good trajectory’: Vaccine documentation surpasses 60 percent for employees, students on campus as Brown begins lifting COVID-19 restrictions

May 31, 2021 1 comment

The total percentage of students who have documented their COVID-19 vaccinations has increased to 40.6 percent, and the total number of employees has increased to 59.7 percent, according to the University’s May 28 COVID-19 Testing Update.

The University said community members should treat the summer as a "transition period," during which campus policies may continue to shift.

COVID-19 Updates, News, University News

U. reduces COVID-19 testing frequency, updates mask-wearing, social distancing guidelines

May 27, 2021 5 comments

The University announced “significant changes” to its COVID-19 guidelines that will “enable increased campus activities” in response to improving public health conditions both on campus and across the state, according to a Thursday email from Executive Vice President for Planning and Policy Russell Carey ’91 MA’06.