Topic: COVID-19 testing

Public health officials and the University both stress that community members follow public health guidelines, amidst increasing positive rates of COVID-19 cases reported nationwide.

News, University News

On-campus procedures and guidelines for the spring semester

January 19, 2021 0 comments

At the outset of the spring semester, public health officials and the University both maintain the importance of adhering to public health guidelines, as January marks the greatest number of positive COVID-19 cases reported yet on a national level.

Brown researchers weigh in on COVID-19 vaccines

News, Science & Research

November 25, 2020 0 comments

Since pharmaceutical companies Pfizer and Moderna announced that their vaccines for COVID-19 had achieved around 95 percent effectiveness, University researchers have formed insights about their potential impacts.

The University saw its greatest number of COVID-19 cases in a single week so far during the week of Nov. 8, with a total of 26 cases reported from the asymptomatic testing program.

News, University News

Brown sees highest number of asymptomatic COVID-19 cases in single week. Administrators ‘watching it carefully’

November 15, 2020 0 comments

Brown saw its greatest number of COVID-19 cases in a single week so far during the week starting Nov. 8, with a total of 26 cases reported from the asymptomatic testing program.

THE COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha: The Future of Pfizer’s Vaccine and President-Elect Biden’s Transition Team

COVID-19 Updates, News, Podcasts, Science & Research

November 13, 2020 0 comments

Dr. Ashish Jha discusses the aftermath of the 2020 Election and President-Elect Joe Biden’s announcement of a COVID-19 Task Force. Dr. Jha also walks us through news from Pfizer that the company may have a highly effective vaccine in the development.

While more students surveyed by the Tripathi lab student researchers preferred a saliva-based COVID-19 test to a nasal swab, they were split on how frequently they wanted to be tested — some preferred weekly tests, while others said they would opt for a test every 2-3 days.

News, Science & Research

Some Brown undergraduate students expressed preferences for COVID-19 testing procedure, frequency in summer survey

November 11, 2020 0 comments

For Brown students in Providence this semester, semi-weekly testing has become the norm: Scheduled online twice a week, booking and receiving a COVID-19 test has become as commonplace as checking a dining hall’s menus before picking up dinner. 

The University’s total positive COVID-19 cases rose to 37 this week, a peak that occurs during a period of nationally increasing positivity rates.

News, University News

VP Carey: Brown sees most positive COVID-19 cases ‘in a three day time period to date’

October 25, 2020 4 comments

Eight University students tested positive for COVID-19 from Oct. 21 to Oct. 23, the most “in a three day time period to date,” according to an Oct. 24 email from Executive Vice President of Planning and Policy Russell Carey ’91.

The COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha: Vaccine Trials, Group Gatherings and Flu Shots

COVID-19 Updates, News, Podcasts

October 18, 2020 0 comments

In the inaugural episode of “The COVID Pod with Ashish Jha,” The Brown Daily Herald’s Editor-in-Chief Colleen Cronin ’21 joins Dean of the School of Public Health Ashish Jha to discuss the national news surrounding ongoing vaccine trials, President Donald Trump’s COVID-19 diagnosis and the risk of group gatherings.

The University has seen positive reports on the seasonal flu vaccination program and continued asymptomatic testing for community members on campus.

News, University News

VP Carey: ‘We feel very good about where things are right now’

October 15, 2020 0 comments

Executive Vice President of Planning and Policy Russell Carey ’91 and University Spokesperson Brian Clark discussed the seasonal flu, asymptomatic testing following the long weekend and the second week of activity level 2 in a conversation with The Herald Oct. 15.

As of this week, 62,490 COVID-19 tests taken of University community members have resulted in 27 positive cases, only one of which was recorded this week.

News, University News

Brown COVID-19 testing update: 1 confirmed positive case in last week

October 13, 2020 0 comments

As COVID-19 cases rise nationally, the University continues to report scant occurrences of the virus on College Hill. The past week has seen one confirmed positive case out of 9,250 asymptomatic tests completed, according to the University’s COVID-19 Dashboard.

COVID-19 testing returns eight asymptomatic positive test results in the week of Sept. 27, one third of positive results since Aug. 24, but isolation and quarantine rooms remain well below capacity.

COVID-19 Updates, University News

Brown COVID-19 testing update: 24 total positives cases as of 10/5

October 5, 2020 0 comments

The University’s asymptomatic testing program returned eight confirmed positive test results in the week of Sept. 27, constituting one third of the total positive results since the start of the asymptomatic testing program on Aug. 24.