Topic: COVID-19 testing

The COVID Pod with Dr. Ashish Jha: Vaccine Trials, Group Gatherings and Flu Shots

COVID-19 Updates, News, Podcasts

October 18, 2020 0 comments

In the inaugural episode of “The COVID Pod with Ashish Jha,” The Brown Daily Herald’s Editor-in-Chief Colleen Cronin ’21 joins Dean of the School of Public Health Ashish Jha to discuss the national news surrounding ongoing vaccine trials, President Donald Trump’s COVID-19 diagnosis and the risk of group gatherings.

The University has seen positive reports on the seasonal flu vaccination program and continued asymptomatic testing for community members on campus.

News, University News

VP Carey: ‘We feel very good about where things are right now’

October 15, 2020 0 comments

Executive Vice President of Planning and Policy Russell Carey ’91 and University Spokesperson Brian Clark discussed the seasonal flu, asymptomatic testing following the long weekend and the second week of activity level 2 in a conversation with The Herald Oct. 15.

As of this week, 62,490 COVID-19 tests taken of University community members have resulted in 27 positive cases, only one of which was recorded this week.

News, University News

Brown COVID-19 testing update: 1 confirmed positive case in last week

October 13, 2020 0 comments

As COVID-19 cases rise nationally, the University continues to report scant occurrences of the virus on College Hill. The past week has seen one confirmed positive case out of 9,250 asymptomatic tests completed, according to the University’s COVID-19 Dashboard.

COVID-19 testing returns eight asymptomatic positive test results in the week of Sept. 27, one third of positive results since Aug. 24, but isolation and quarantine rooms remain well below capacity.

COVID-19 Updates, University News

Brown COVID-19 testing update: 24 total positives cases as of 10/5

October 5, 2020 0 comments

The University’s asymptomatic testing program returned eight confirmed positive test results in the week of Sept. 27, constituting one third of the total positive results since the start of the asymptomatic testing program on Aug. 24.

Predicting outcomes of COVID-19: Brown professors describe the ‘art’ of drawing the curve in epidemiological modeling

COVID-19 Updates, News, Science & Research

September 28, 2020 0 comments

Picture thousands of undergraduate students unpacking their bags at an isolated Brown University campus free from outside contact amid the COVID-19 pandemic. In this simplified scenario, a certain number of these students are carrying stowaway SARS-CoV-2 particles.

Students with remote status but residing in Providence urged to come forward and register for testing program

COVID-19 Updates, News, University News

September 24, 2020 2 comments

President Christina Paxson P’19 urged students who are listed as studying remotely but have returned to Providence to come forward and enroll in the University’s testing program immediately, in a community-wide email sent Thursday.

70 Ship Street, a multi-lab research building, remains open for workers. All affected areas and common spaces were cleaned or closed.

News, University News

Five 70 Ship Street workers have tested positive for COVID-19 over past four weeks

September 22, 2020 0 comments

Five individuals working in University labs at 70 Ship Street, a multi-lab research building, have tested positive for COVID-19 in the past four weeks, according to a Sept. 19 email to workers, reviewed by The Herald, from Executive Vice President for Planning and Policy Russell Carey. 

Of the 8,294 COVID-19 tests Brown has completed in the past seven days, only three have been confirmed positive, marking a prevalence rate of 0.1 percent.

News, University News

Brown COVID-19 testing update: 16 total positive cases as of 9/22

September 22, 2020 1 comment

The University maintains a positivity rate under 0.1 percent as the testing program proceeds, while Providence College reported an outbreak and greater Rhode Island remains at risk for an outbreak of its own.

Brown and Rhode Island Department of Health use interviews, mobile app for contact tracing

News, Science & Research

September 22, 2020 0 comments

From personal logs to phone applications and software, many methods of contact tracing are being put to use at the University, state and national levels to track COVID-19 infections.

Athletic Department gets involved with Brown’s COVID-19 response

COVID-19 Updates, Sports

September 21, 2020 0 comments

Instead of fighting for wins on their season records, this fall, Brown’s Athletic Department staff are helping the University fight COVID-19.