Topic: Department of Public Safety

Security report highlights fluctuations in crime rates

News, University News

October 29, 2019 0 comments

The University Department of Public Safety reported an increase in off-campus burglaries, a decrease in on-campus robberies and a decline in reported rapes from 2016 to 2018 in its annual security report released early October.

Letter: Students should take advantage of DPS services

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

September 20, 2019 0 comments

To the Editor: My name is Chun Cheng, and I am a Brown alum that just graduated a few months ago. I am writing regarding an article I saw in The Herald.

Since the beginning of the fall semester, there have been 51 cases of larceny on campus, one robbery and nine breaking and entering occurrences among other crimes on College Hill.

Metro, News

DPS, students discuss safety concerns on College Hill

February 26, 2018 3 comments

On Nov. 8, Eliza Hicks ’21 went to bed with her laptop and phone on her desk and her backpack on the ground by her bedpost.

The creation of a new “conmnector” route follows a longer course than the express version, encircling campus before heading downtown to the Jewelry District, Rhode Island Hospital and Alpert Medical School.

News, University News

University adds shuttle routes to accommodate new Jewelry District offices

September 24, 2017 0 comments

Fans of the University’s trusty shuttle routes may have noticed that their options have multiplied this semester.

News, University News

DPS’ Hans Edwardsen dies

June 1, 2017 0 comments

Hans Edwardsen, assistant director of systems and technology for the Department of Public Safety since 2010, died May 31.

Student sustains minor injuries in attempted robbery

November 21, 2016 0 comments

A student was accosted in an attempted robbery Friday, according to a community-wide email from the Department of Public Safety.

Student robbed of phone on Meeting Street

October 24, 2016 0 comments

A student was robbed Friday while walking outside 172 Meeting Street near Andrews Commons and the Biomedical Center.

DPS report reveals decrease in crime

October 7, 2016 0 comments

An annual security report released by the Department of Public Safety last week charted several notable trends in campus crime from the last three years.

DPS staff member Michael Wilson dies

April 18, 2016 0 comments

Michael Wilson, a member of the Department of Public Safety, died April 8, according to a community-wide email Friday.

Fifty-nine percent of the Brown University Security Patrolpersons’ Association members voted on the state of DPS leadership. Of those voting, 87.5 percent voted “no confidence.”

Brown fires DPS officer for misconduct

March 9, 2016 22 comments

The DPS officer accused of assaulting a visiting Dartmouth student participating in the Latinx Ivy League Conference in November has been fired.