Topic: diversity and inclusion

President Trump’s Sept. 22 executive order could withhold federal funding from schools offering diversity and inclusion programs.

News, University News

Brown encourages federal court to block executive order on race and sex stereotyping

December 4, 2020 0 comments

The University filed a Nov. 23 amicus brief to encourage a federal court to block President Trump’s Sept. 22 executive order, which intends to combat “race and sex stereotyping and scapegoating.” 

Professor of Neuroscience Carlos Aizenman ’93 received recognition for his research on neural connections in the brain, as well as for his efforts to increase diversity and equity within the sciences.

News, Science & Research

Neuroscience professor Carlos Aizenman ’93 acknowledged for research, dedication to diversity in STEM

November 12, 2020 0 comments

Professor of Neuroscience Carlos Aizenman ’93 discovered his passion for neuroscience while studying on campus as a University undergraduate. Now, he plays an integral role in teaching students who share his same scientific interests and helping to increase diversity in the field.

Jeana Horton (left) and Juana De Los Santos (right) joined the Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity team as the new institutional equity investigator and the new director of equal opportunity, respectively.

News, University News

OIED announces new director of equal opportunity and diversity, institutional equity investigator

November 8, 2020 1 comment

Juana De Los Santos joined the University’s Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity as the new director of equal opportunity and diversity last month. Jeana Horton also joined the office as an institutional equity investigator.

The Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity expands the purview of the Director of University Inclusion Programs position.

News, University News

OIED names new Associate Vice President

January 29, 2020 0 comments

Ryan J. Davis joined the University’s Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity in a newly-created position as associate vice president for institutional equity and diversity Jan. 13.

Aman ’20: Brown should change its motto

Columns, Opinions

Aman ’20: Brown should change its motto

November 14, 2019 1 comment

Brown University’s Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan, published in 2016, states that “All Brown students, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, religious and political views, and other aspects of their identities, are accepted because of their enormous potential as scholars and leaders.”

CS department grapples with collaboration policy, diversity

News, Science & Research

April 23, 2019 Comments are Disabled

Like many computer science students, Chelsey Serrano ’22 is finishing up a two-part CS intro sequence with help from close friends, who struggle together through late nights and stressful deadlines.

The Graduate Student Council will elect a new Chair of Technology and will fill positions within the Council’s Masters’ Advocacy Committee, Finance Committee and Social and Student Life Committee.

News, University News

GSC discusses vacancies, Medical Student Senate relationship

March 7, 2019 Comments are Disabled

In the second meeting of the semester, the Graduate Student Council announced the election for a new Chair of Technology, updated members on the Graduate Student Strategic Initiative and discussed its relationship with the Graduate Student Union and the Medical Student Senate.

The student council will be comprised of individuals nominated from various student groups and identity centers across campus.

News, University News

New Student Equity and Diversity Council announced

October 30, 2018 Comments are Disabled

The Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity recently announced its intention to create a new Student Equity and Diversity Council, which will bring student perspectives to the office’s efforts to advance its institutional mission, wrote Shontay Delalue, vice president of OIED, in a community-wide email Oct. 16.

Panel talks importance of trans-centered research

News, Science & Research

October 18, 2018 Comments are Disabled

At an event hosted by the School of Public Health Wednesday night, Michelle Forcier, professor of pediatrics and associate dean of medicine at the Alpert Medical School, posed a pertinent question: “How many people in this room experience gender?” Everyone in the room raised their hands.

University releases Diversity, Inclusion Oversight Board memo

News, University News

September 10, 2018 Comments are Disabled

On Sept. 8, the Diversity and Inclusion Oversight Board published its annual memo reflecting on the University’s “progress to date and opportunities for continued growth” in realizing goals outlined in the Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan, wrote Shontay Delalue.