Donate

Topic: Excellence in Brown Athletics

Brownsword ’18: New ‘Excellence’ Initiative Product of Decade-Long Athletic Program Mismanagement

Op-eds, Opinions

July 1, 2020 1 comment

On May 28, President Christina Paxson P’19 announced the University’s athletic program would take on a new direction:

New motion in 1998 Title IX suit alleges Brown violated settlement with recent varsity demotions

News, Sports, University News

June 29, 2020 2 comments

Amy Cohen ’92 and a group of 12 other plaintiffs — all female athletes who collectively sued the University in 1998 for violating Title IX legislation protecting gender equity in athletics — are challenging the University in court for allegedly violating the terms of the original settlement.

Moyer ’21— From eight former varsity teams: We have still been wronged

Op-eds, Opinions

June 19, 2020 3 comments

Earlier this month, 65 returning varsity athletes on the Men’s Track & Field and Men’s Cross Country teams were able to show the administration that their decision was ill informed; their team was reinstated. To those 65 men, we say congratulations.

Demoted athletes retain law firm, demand reinstatement

Sports

June 18, 2020 4 comments

A coalition of University student-athletes from teams recently demoted from varsity to club level have retained attorney Jeffrey Kessler of Chicago-based law firm Winston & Strawn in hopes of demanding reinstatement to the varsity roster. 

Demoted student-athletes weigh transfer option

News, Sports, University News

June 11, 2020 0 comments

Two weeks after losing their varsity status, over 100 former student-athletes now face a once-unfathomable choice: stay at Brown or continue their athletic careers at a different institution.

Men’s Track & Field, Cross Country athletes, alums react to reinstatement

News, Sports, University News

June 10, 2020 2 comments

On Tuesday evening, President Christina Paxson  P’19 released a statement reversing a May 28 decision to eliminate the Men’s Track and Field and Cross Country teams as part of the University’s Excellence in Brown Athletics Initiative, which demoted 11 varsity teams to club status.

Ten voices on varsity team cuts

Opinions

Ten voices on varsity team cuts

June 10, 2020 0 comments

Following the University’s decision to cut 11 teams as part of the Excellence in Brown Athletics initiative, The Herald invited 100-word submissions from individuals impacted by the decision.

Letter: Coverage of Excellence in Brown Athletics Initiative

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

June 9, 2020 0 comments

To the Editor: Thank you for your recent coverage of the University’s recent athletics decisions, as well as many reactions described in published opinion pieces.

Men’s track, field and cross country reinstated as varsity sports

Sports

June 9, 2020 2 comments

The men’s track, field and cross country teams have been reinstated to the varsity roster, a reversal of their recent demotion to the club level

O’Neil ’16, Paul ’19, McMahon ’19: In Defense of Excellence and Equity in Men’s Cross Country and Track and Field

Op-eds, Opinions

June 8, 2020 1 comment

As alumnae of the Brown Women’s Cross Country and Track and Field teams, we are writing in solidarity with current teammates on the Brown Men’s Cross Country and Track and Field teams whose collegiate athletic careers were abruptly terminated May 28