Topic: Excellence in Brown Athletics

Champa P’21: The Excellence in Athletics Initiative under oath

Op-eds, Opinions

January 24, 2021 5 comments

In a case that straddles the boundary between law and ethics, this month a federal judge denied the issuance of a preliminary injunction that would have reinstated Women’s and Men’s Varsity Squash.

Court approves settlement to reinstate women’s fencing, equestrian teams in Title IX suit against Brown

Sports

December 16, 2020 1 comment

A federal judge approved a settlement between the University and a group of female student-athletes Tuesday to reinstate the women’s fencing and equestrian teams to varsity status following their demotion in May. 

The women’s fencing squad was reinstated to varsity status last Thursday, but the men’s team remains a club team.

News, Sports

Student-athletes share reactions to reinstatement of women’s equestrian and fencing teams

September 20, 2020 0 comments

The recent announcement that the University would reinstate the women’s equestrian and fencing teams to varsity status served as a relief from a disappointing year for the student-athletes on these squads.

Letter: Why Isn’t President Paxson an Amy Cohen?

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

September 17, 2020 0 comments

To The Editor: Brown took a step toward gender equity in settling its Title IX lawsuit by reinstating two of the five women’s teams that were reduced to club status.

Brown agrees to reinstate women’s equestrian, women’s fencing in proposed settlement

News, Sports, University News

September 17, 2020 0 comments

The University announced today that it has agreed to reinstate both the women’s equestrian team and the women’s fencing team to varsity status after both teams had been moved to club status in May.

Brown denies allegation of noncompliance to Title IX commitment in new court filing

Sports

September 2, 2020 4 comments

In a new court filing Wednesday, the University denied claims that Brown has faltered in its commitment to Title IX compliance under regulations agreed upon in the 1998 Cohen v. Brown ruling.

Internal emails between Paxson, key administrators reveal desire to ‘get us out of’ 1998 Title IX consent decree

News, Sports, University News

August 27, 2020 22 comments

Emails between University administrators released today reveal internal strategies regarding Title IX compliance and the recent demotion of several varsity teams.

Letter: To build distinction in athletics, Brown made painful but necessary decision

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

July 17, 2020 5 comments

To the Editor: I write as a Brown alumnus, proud parent of two Brown graduates and Chancellor of the University with deep respect for the perspectives of members of our community. 

Champa P’21: An Open Letter from a Parent to President Paxson on her Excellence in Athletics Initiative

Op-eds, Opinions

July 11, 2020 2 comments

President Paxson, there will be no winners in this dispute. During an intense and ongoing public debate, you have succeeded in destroying the athletic careers of the members of eight of Brown’s varsity teams.

Brownsword ’18: New ‘Excellence’ Initiative Product of Decade-Long Athletic Program Mismanagement

Op-eds, Opinions

July 1, 2020 1 comment

On May 28, President Christina Paxson P’19 announced the University’s athletic program would take on a new direction: