Topic: letter to the editor

Letter: A plea to reinstate Dr. Rick Bungiro

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

November 8, 2020 0 comments

I recently heard about the resignation of Dr. Rick Bungiro from the Division of Biology and Medicine and his subsequent request for reinstatement. I took two classes with Dr. Bungiro in the Fall of 2011 and Spring of 2012.

Letter: Criticizing Kanders donations is self-righteous, misses point

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

February 24, 2020 Comments are Disabled

I was disappointed to read the letter to the editor, “If the Sacklers must go, so too must Kanders,” by Abdullah Shihipar MPH’20 in the Jan. 27 issue of The Herald. It represents yet another example of self-righteous virtue-signaling by a Brown student.

Letter: Two state solution referendum is preferable to divestment

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

March 19, 2019 3 comments

In Kyle Price’s ’20 recent op-ed, the author opposes the Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions movement against Israel. As a Jew, I’m reluctantly against BDS and fearful that it could become a camouflage for blatantly anti-Semitic activities.

Letter: Investment Office’s response to divestment is misleading

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

March 19, 2019 Comments are Disabled

In their recent op-ed, Dowling, Dietze and Kennedy ’97 argue that it is infeasible for Brown to divest because of the complicated nature of managing the endowment. This claim is concerning, considering the fact that Brown University has claimed to divest from tobacco, genocide in Darfur, and HEI Hotels and Resorts.

Letter: The Herald must appoint a public editor

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

March 13, 2019 Comments are Disabled

To the Editor: In the wake of the Providence Journal’s exposé of Martin Granoff’s P ’93 exclusive dinners, numerous students took to the Dear Blueno Facebook page to criticize The Brown Daily Herald — the supposed premier source for news about Brown — for missing the scoop.

Letter: U. support for ProJo goes beyond subscriptions

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

October 24, 2018 2 comments

To the Editor: Despite the clarification to the Oct. 9 editorial, “University should buy ProJo subscriptions,” subsequent letters from readers make clear the need to share additional details on the extensive access to the Providence Journal that the University already provides to students, faculty and staff. First, through a subscription […]

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter: Don’t rescind honorary degrees

September 6, 2018 1 comment

Self-described “non-donating” alum Nicholas Morley ’13 raised engaging questions about the nature of honorary degrees in a May 18 Herald op-ed entitled “Rescind Junot Díaz’s Honorary Doctorate,” but as a donating alum, I would humbly suggest that the University steer clear of revoking such distinctions.

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter: Help make the First Readings program better

April 15, 2018 Comments are Disabled

I appreciated the proposals included in the April 12 editorial entitled “Reforming the First Readings program.”

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter: SPEAK report ignores lived experiences of politics

March 20, 2018 2 comments

I appreciate the concise and valuable data that SPEAK has compiled about discourse on campus, explained in The Herald’s March 5 article “Study finds most hosted speakers lean left politically.” However, I don’t think this committee has sufficiently explained what exactly they want conservative voices to provide.

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter: Reconsider the suspension of the elementary MAT program

March 15, 2018 Comments are Disabled

To the Editor: After reading Polly Ulichny’s March 11 op-ed “Brown’s elementary MAT program gets it right”, it is difficult to understand the administration’s thinking in choosing to suspend a program that has met with such amazing success.