Donate

Topic: Mandatory S/NC

Faculty discuss grading policy for semester at meeting

News, University News

April 8, 2020 3 comments

University administration and faculty discussed grading policies at this week’s faculty meeting, a topic which has been widely debated by community members since students evacuated campus.

Since most students evacuated campus and the University transitioned to remote learning in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, students have continued to debate the grading policy adopted by the University.

COVID-19 Updates, News, University News

Students express mixed opinions on temporary grading policy, advocate for alternative systems

April 6, 2020 0 comments

Reflecting on notions of equity, choice and transparency in the context of the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic, students expressed mixed reactions to the temporary academic policy implemented by the University that will allow students to change their grade options from April 13 to May 1. 

Glickman ’23: What the Grade Option Debate is Really About

Op-eds, Opinions

March 31, 2020 2 comments

As spring break comes to a close and we resume classes this week, the fervor around the grading option debate continues to increase. The three options most widely debated amongst students at Brown are implementing Mandatory S/NC, extending the grade option deadline, or implementing Universal Pass.

Javaheri ’20: Against mandatory S/NC — why choice matters

Op-eds, Opinions

March 24, 2020 1 comment

In recent days, there has been a call for all courses to switch to mandatory S/NC grading as a measure to “achieve real equality,” claiming that the loss of our on-campus community and access to resources necessitates the implementation of a forced pass/fail semester.

McCarthy ’23: In the age of COVID-19, we must consider inequality: make classes mandatory S/NC

Op-eds, Opinions

March 22, 2020 1 comment

As the majority of students depart from campus, entering into new environments with new routines, I fear that remote learning will amplify the inequalities among our student body.