Topic: Never Again Action

During a public meeting Wednesday evening, activists turned their backs on the board overseeing the Wyatt Facility.

Metro, News

Wyatt board approves controversial agreement

October 31, 2019 0 comments

The board overseeing the Donald W. Wyatt Detention Facility voted to continue its contract with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and set in motion a process for the potential sale of the facility during a public meeting Wednesday evening, as activists turned away in protest.

Never Again Action condemned the grand jury’s decision not to indict the correctional officer who drove a truck into their protest Aug. 14.

Metro, News

Wyatt correctional officer who drove truck into crowd will not face indictment

October 24, 2019 0 comments

A state grand jury has decided not to file criminal charges against a former Wyatt Detention Facility captain who was captured on video driving a truck into a line of peacefully-assembled protesters in August, announced Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha Wednesday.

Yesterday evening, activists led by Never Again Action and AMOR gathered outside the R.I. State House to protest the detention of undocumented immigrants, urging Governor Raimondo to act.

Metro, News

Local activists protest ICE during High Holy Days

October 8, 2019 0 comments

As Jewish residents across the state observe this year’s High Holy Days — Judaism’s most sacred season — many are also calling for the closure of the Donald W. Wyatt Detention Facility for its connection to Immigration and Customs Enforcement and protesting the detention of undocumented immigrants across the country.

Protestors gathered outside the Donald W. Wyatt Detention Facility in Central Falls in anticipation of yesterday’s vote, which was postponed due to “concerns” of the facility’s board. The vote concerns a proposed forbearance agreement with UMB Bank.

Metro, News

Vote on Wyatt Facility agreement postponed

September 17, 2019 0 comments

The board overseeing the Donald W. Wyatt Detention Facility postponed a highly anticipated vote on the facility’s future over unspecified “concerns,” before closing its meeting to the public Monday evening.

The proposed agreement between the Wyatt and UMB Bank would contractually bind the facility to continue its partnership with ICE.

Metro, News

“Which side are you on?”: Protesters shut down Wyatt Detention Facility board meeting

September 16, 2019 0 comments

On Friday night, hundreds of protesters shut down a board meeting at the Donald W. Wyatt Detention Facility that was scheduled to discuss a proposed “forbearance” agreement.

Around 500 people gathered outside the Donald W. Wyatt Detention Facility on August 14 to protest the facility’s contract with Immigration and Customs Enforcement and to call for the center’s closure.

Metro, News

R.I. Attorney General investigates violence against protestors at Wyatt Detention Facility

August 23, 2019 0 comments

On Wednesday, Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha spoke at a press conference to provide further details about the state’s investigation into violence by correctional employees that disrupted a peaceful protest by the advocacy group Never Again Action outside the Donald W. Wyatt Detention Facility August 14.