Donate

Topic: Providence Public School District

PPSD staff work to improve school culture

Metro, News

January 23, 2020 1 comment

In the wake of a state takeover of the Providence Public School District, Gilbert Stuart Middle School teachers and administrators are implementing new strategies aimed at meeting every child’s needs.

Morel PhD’14: A different path for the Providence schools

Op-eds, Opinions

December 5, 2019 0 comments

In early November, the state of Rhode Island took control of the Providence Public School District. The takeover came after the release of the “Johns Hopkins Report,” which detailed the district’s academic challenges as well as the bureaucratic problems that have hindered the management of the district.

Providence Public Schools to provide free meals to all students

Metro, News

October 22, 2019 0 comments

In a sweeping effort to improve access to nutrition among its students,  the Providence Public School District is offering free breakfast and lunch to students at all grade levels, with no eligibility requirements.

University develops new programs to support PPSD

Metro, News

October 15, 2019 0 comments

Amid efforts to define its contributions to public education in Providence, the University is working to channel its resources toward developing a new partnership program with designated Providence public schools, said President Christina Paxson P’19. 

In a panel Monday, Providence community leaders, students and educators stressed the need for dialogue between all groups with a stake in the state’s upcoming takeover of the Providence Public School District.

Metro, News

PVD community members call for dialogue in school takeover

September 17, 2019 0 comments

The denied motion aimed to make parents, students and community members an official party of the state takeover of the school district.

Metro, News

Community denied formal role in PPSD state takeover

September 16, 2019 0 comments

Testimony at a standard legal hearing grew personal and searing Friday, when students, parents and community members packed into a room to advocate for a formal role in the upcoming R.I. state takeover of the Providence Public School District.

University to coordinate with RIDE as state takes over PVD schools

Metro, News

September 13, 2019 1 comment

In light of a blistering review that persuaded the Rhode Island Department of Education to take control of the Providence Public School District this fall, the University will coordinate with RIDE and begin a new chapter in its longstanding involvement in the district.

Columns, Opinions

Foster ’19: A second Brown Promise

April 24, 2018 Comments are Disabled

In 2017, the University undertook a massive fundraising campaign to remove financial barriers to accessing a Brown education.