Topic: Providence Public School District

The University fully funded its $10 million endowment to support the Providence Public School District in July, fulfilling a 2007 pledge.

Metro, University News

Brown grants $474,000 to Providence Public School District

April 30, 2021 0 comments

The University granted $474,000 to the Providence Public School District to bolster academic excellence and other critical efforts in 2021, the University announced in a news release Tuesday.

Despite an uphill battle, legislators remain supportive of the bill.

Metro, News

“We need to pause”: R.I. legislators discuss charter school moratorium

April 8, 2021 3 comments

In a March 29 op-ed for The Providence Journal, Rhode Island Gov. Dan McKee criticized a proposed three-year moratorium on charter schools, which are institutions that receive government funding but operate separately from the state system.  

‘When is this going to feel more possible?’: PPSD teachers describe challenges, anxieties of teaching during a pandemic

Metro, News

October 21, 2020 0 comments

The last thing Cindy Castellone’s students need to know is that she’s angry, angry at a system said “can’t be fixed by me.”

‘I just want my children to be safe’: Providence Public School District parents on school reopening

Metro, News

September 21, 2020 0 comments

As their children began school Sept. 14, Providence Public School District parents expressed concerns about what the year will bring.

PPSD staff work to improve school culture

Metro, News

January 23, 2020 1 comment

In the wake of a state takeover of the Providence Public School District, Gilbert Stuart Middle School teachers and administrators are implementing new strategies aimed at meeting every child’s needs.

Morel PhD’14: A different path for the Providence schools

Op-eds, Opinions

December 5, 2019 Comments are Disabled

In early November, the state of Rhode Island took control of the Providence Public School District. The takeover came after the release of the “Johns Hopkins Report,” which detailed the district’s academic challenges as well as the bureaucratic problems that have hindered the management of the district.

Providence Public Schools to provide free meals to all students

Metro, News

October 22, 2019 Comments are Disabled

In a sweeping effort to improve access to nutrition among its students,  the Providence Public School District is offering free breakfast and lunch to students at all grade levels, with no eligibility requirements.

University develops new programs to support PPSD

Metro, News

October 15, 2019 Comments are Disabled

Amid efforts to define its contributions to public education in Providence, the University is working to channel its resources toward developing a new partnership program with designated Providence public schools, said President Christina Paxson P’19. 

In a panel Monday, Providence community leaders, students and educators stressed the need for dialogue between all groups with a stake in the state’s upcoming takeover of the Providence Public School District.

Metro, News

PVD community members call for dialogue in school takeover

September 17, 2019 Comments are Disabled

The denied motion aimed to make parents, students and community members an official party of the state takeover of the school district.

Metro, News

Community denied formal role in PPSD state takeover

September 16, 2019 Comments are Disabled

Testimony at a standard legal hearing grew personal and searing Friday, when students, parents and community members packed into a room to advocate for a formal role in the upcoming R.I. state takeover of the Providence Public School District.