Donate

Topic: Providence public schools

Brown to fully fund $10 million endowment for Providence Public Schools

Metro, News, University News

July 29, 2020 2 comments

The University Corporation has designated $8.1 million to fulfill its 2007 commitment to establish a $10 million endowment to support the Providence Public School District, President Christina Paxson P’19 wrote in a press announcement and community-wide email Wednesday. 

Mayor Jorge Elorza delivered his State of the City address yesterday, focusing his speech on education reform and improving infrastructure.

Metro, News

Elorza’s State of the City describes ‘New Providence’

February 11, 2020 0 comments

Chants of his name rang through City Halls as Mayor Jorge Elorza entered the Council Chambers to give this year’s State of the City address. In his following speech, Elorza focused on improving infrastructure and education to create a “New Providence,” while also discussing green initiatives and public safety.

PPSD staff work to improve school culture

Metro, News

January 23, 2020 1 comment

In the wake of a state takeover of the Providence Public School District, Gilbert Stuart Middle School teachers and administrators are implementing new strategies aimed at meeting every child’s needs.

Morel PhD’14: A different path for the Providence schools

Op-eds, Opinions

December 5, 2019 0 comments

In early November, the state of Rhode Island took control of the Providence Public School District. The takeover came after the release of the “Johns Hopkins Report,” which detailed the district’s academic challenges as well as the bureaucratic problems that have hindered the management of the district.

Lehrer-Small ’20: Invest in students: A case against e-learning

Op-eds, Opinions

September 18, 2019 0 comments

Many American school districts have made a massive mistake, and you should take note.

Campaign demands zero police presence in schools

Metro, News

February 6, 2019 Comments are Disabled

The “Counselors Not Cops” campaign, launched by local Providence organizations in December, seeks to remove law enforcement officers from Providence Public Schools and replace them with additional guidance counselors.

In race for City Hall, school funding takes center stage

Metro, News

November 2, 2018 Comments are Disabled

The final week in the race for Providence mayor has highlighted key differences between the candidates in their stances on the Providence school system and potential funding solutions.

Mayor Jorge Elorza (centre), City Council President David Salvatore (center-right), School Board President Nicholas Hemond (left) and Providence Public Schools Superintendent Christopher Maher (center-left) discussed options for the City if a compromise is not reached by the end of the week.

Metro, News

Elorza seeks to restore school transportation

October 11, 2018 Comments are Disabled

Mayor Jorge Elorza announced plans to resolve the ongoing disruption of student transportation to Providence Public Schools at a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

Providence elementary schools offer free meals to all students

Metro, News

September 14, 2017 Comments are Disabled

This year, elementary school students throughout Providence Public Schools can get a free breakfast and lunch from their cafeterias.