Topic: Rhode Island politics

One year after the murder of George Floyd at the hands of the police officer Derek Chauvin, protesters gather around the Rhode Island State to remember Floyd’s legacy and call for further change.

Metro, News

‘It’s not a sprint, it’s a marathon’: Protesters reflect one year after murder of George Floyd

May 26, 2021 1 comment

A year after the murder of George Floyd at the hands of police officer Derek Chauvin, the Black Lives Matter Rhode Island Political Action Committee held a protest Tuesday around the Rhode Island State House that gathered around 40 people.

More than 150 people turned in a written testimony and over 60 people gave a verbal testimony in support of the bills, said Sasha Berkoff, organizer for Never Again Action.

Metro, News

New legislation proposed to close private prisons in R.I., promote prison reform

March 30, 2021 0 comments

To promote prison reform and work to halt operations of private prisons in Rhode Island, State Senator Jonathon Acosta, D-Central Falls, Pawtucket, and State Representative Joshua Giraldo, D-Central Falls, introduced four bills to the R.I. legislature Mar. 5.

The discussion was hosted by The Alliance of Rhode Island Southeast Asians for Education (ARISE), Lippitt House Museum and the Providence League of Women Voters.

Metro, News

ARISE youth and civil rights leaders discuss access to civic education in RI schools

March 15, 2021 0 comments

In a state where students have sued the governor and other officials for failing to teach them the skills required to vote or engage in jury duty, questions of student civic engagement and activism are especially pressing. 

Brown Dems ‘excited to see’ Democratic R.I. House Speaker Mattiello ousted from seat

Metro, News

November 15, 2020 1 comment

Rhode Island House Speaker Nicholas Mattiello was defeated in an upset win by Republican Barbara Ann Fenton-Fung in the race for Cranston House District 15 on Nov. 3. 

Siemens ’21: S.2077: The end of partisan gerrymandering in Rhode Island?

Op-eds, Opinions

February 27, 2020 Comments are Disabled

This Thursday, the state Senate Judiciary Committee is set to hear public commentary on S.2007, a joint resolution to inaugurate an independent redistricting commission in Rhode Island.

Panelists discussed the importance of youth running and working on political campaigns in order to advocate for their political views.

Metro, News

Young R.I. politicians urge youth to vote in 2020

October 23, 2019 Comments are Disabled

As the leaves turn and the 2020 election season looms, progressive groups in Rhode Island are focused on mobilizing a massive voting bloc with notoriously low turnout: young people.

In an event co-sponsored by the Taubman Center for American Politics and Policy and the Watson Institute for International And Public Affairs, Congressmen reflected on the University’s impact on their career paths.

Metro

Alums in Congress discuss climate, wealth distribution

April 9, 2019 Comments are Disabled

Congressmen David Cicilline ’83 (D-RI) and Dean Phillips ’91 (D-MN) returned to campus Monday to discuss climate change, the societal impacts of wealth distribution and Brown’s impact on their trajectory to Congress.

Members of Sunrise Rhode Island, politicians and other activists gathered at the State House in support of a Green New Deal for Rhode Island. House Resolution 5665 would support research on economic, social and environmental progress in the state. A matching Senate resolution will be introduced shortly.

Metro, News

State moves to support research on R.I. Green New Deal

March 12, 2019 Comments are Disabled

Promises of a Green New Deal at the national level trickled down to the Ocean State Thursday, when politicians and community activists alike gathered in the Rhode Island State House to announce plans to research the possibilities for a state Green New Deal.

Urban Studies students involved in Housing Opportunities for People Everywhere assisted SouthCoast Fair Housing by analyzing online housing listings for instances of income-based discrimination.

News, University News

Report shows discrimination against housing voucher recipients

February 13, 2019 Comments are Disabled

SouthCoast Fair Housing released a report entitled “It’s About the Voucher: Source of Income Discrimination in Rhode Island” just before the State House received a dusting of snow Tuesday morning.

R.I. Speaker of House receives student criticism

Metro, News

November 29, 2018 Comments are Disabled

Rhode Island House Speaker Nicholas Mattiello’s close win in the November election this month could reflect a larger divide within the Democratic party between progressive and moderate party members.