Donate

Topic: School of Public Health

Brown launches full-tuition scholarship for underrepresented students pursuing Masters in Public Health

News, Science & Research

June 22, 2020 0 comments

The School of Public Health has announced a new Health Equity Scholars fellowship program that will allow up to five students from Tougaloo College — a historically Black college in Mississippi — to pursue a Master of Public Health degree at the University under a full-tuition scholarship.

The new dean of the School of Public Health Ashish Jha is a renowned global health researcher, educator and practitioner.

News, University News

University appoints Dr. Ashish Jha as new School of Public Health dean

March 10, 2020 2 comments

Dr. Ashish Jha will be joining the University as the dean of the School of Public Health Sept. 2020. Jha is currently the director of the Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health.

Brown Policy Lab’s year-long event series hosted Christopher Robertson, a law professor at the University of Arizona. Robertson discussed the idea of ‘moral hazard’ in health insurance at the event.

Metro, News

University of Arizona professor challenges health insurance cost sharing

February 21, 2020 0 comments

Yesterday, Brown students and professors gathered to hear Christopher Robertson, a law professor at the University of Arizona, argue against the use of cost sharing in health insurance, which includes copays, coinsurance and deductibles.

A study published by researchers based at the Mindfulness Center, in collaboration with others, revealed how mindfulness techniques can reduce blood pressure when they are applied to medical regimens.

Science & Research

Research thrives at Mindfulness Center

January 24, 2020 0 comments

As students take a step into another year and another semester, exams and busy schedules, the Mindfulness Center at Brown continues to connect University researchers from diverse areas of study.

Neil Sarkar (left) and Ira Wilson (right) co-lead a partnership to delve into the state’s healthcare system by accessing claims data.

News, Science & Research

Claims database enhances health care research

January 23, 2020 0 comments

After securing access to Rhode Island’s All-Payer Claims Database through a partnership between Brown-based Advance Clinical and Translational Research and the Rhode Island Department of Health, five researchers now have the resources to ask questions about the state’s health care utilization.

Rhode Islanders report housing, jobs as most pressing challenges

Metro, News

November 19, 2019 0 comments

Ocean State residents generally say that poor access to affordable housing lowers the quality of their communities more than any other factor, according to a report issued by health insurance provider Blue Cross Blue Shield Rhode Island in partnership with the University’s School of Public Health.

Panel talks importance of trans-centered research

News, Science & Research

October 18, 2018 Comments are Disabled

At an event hosted by the School of Public Health Wednesday night, Michelle Forcier, professor of pediatrics and associate dean of medicine at the Alpert Medical School, posed a pertinent question: “How many people in this room experience gender?” Everyone in the room raised their hands.

Prior to arriving to Brown to study public health, Khaled Almilaji worked as a doctor in Syria where he was arrested and imprisoned by the Assad regime in 2011 for treating government protestors.

News, University News

Former University student builds hospital in Syria

October 2, 2018 Comments are Disabled

Former Master’s of Public Health student Khaled Almilaji realized his vision of building an underground hospital in his home country of Syria with the help of the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs’ Humanitarian Innovation Initiative and University student groups.

Michael Sacchet’10 presents his research on the neuroscience of mindfulness and how the practice can be used as an emotional regulation technique for individuals with depression, anxiety and other mood disorders.

News, Science & Research

Alum talks personalized mindfulness at School of Public Health

September 19, 2018 Comments are Disabled

Matthew Sacchet ’10, a postdoctoral scholar from Stanford University, delivered a lecture at the School of Public Health Tuesday on “personalized mindfulness practices,” according to the event description.

Assistant Professor Lisa Littman’s study suggests that online forums and social media have allowed transgender identities to spread among youth.

News, Science & Research

Gender dysphoria study faces criticism

September 4, 2018 7 comments

On Aug. 22, the University published a press release on the first-ever research study to investigate “rapid-onset gender dysphoria,” which was authored by Lisa Littman, assistant professor of the practice of behavioral and social sciences in the School of Public Health.