Topic: School of Public Health

Jha purposely used multiple different forms of communication, from Twitter to television, to reach a broader audience when discussing the coronavirus pandemic.

News, University News

Dean Jha named one of World’s 50 Greatest Leaders

July 18, 2021 0 comments

While an undergraduate at Columbia studying economics — long before he would be named one of the World’s 50 Greatest Leaders by Fortune Magazine — Ashish Jha, dean of the School of Public Health, was a pre-med student in part because his parents “really wanted” him to go to medical school.

News, Science & Research

The light at the end of the tunnel just got brighter

April 28, 2021 0 comments

In October 2020, The Herald launched a podcast with Ashish Jha, Dean of the School of Public Health at Brown University. At the end of our first call, Dr. Jha said: “If people stay focused, there’s a lot of good news coming in 2021.”

Dean Jha has become a national voice during the pandemic, contributing to COVID-19 analysis and advising policymakers and officials.

Metro, News, Science & Research

Dean Ashish Jha selected for incoming Governor McKee’s COVID-19 Advisory Group

February 17, 2021 0 comments

Dean of the School of Public Health Ashish Jha will serve as part of Rhode Island Lieutenant Governor Daniel McKee’s COVID-19 Advisory Group.

Dean Jha discusses the recent rise in COVID-19 cases in Rhode Island, lab-based outbreaks and the Rhode Island COVID-19 vaccination plan.

Science & Research

Dean Jha: ‘It’s really critical that we take a moment and just reflect’

October 26, 2020 0 comments

Dean of the School of Public Health Ashish Jha spoke with The Herald Oct. 23 to reflect on the state of the COVID-19 pandemic over the past week.

Dean Jha’s Actions to Confront Anti-Black Racism look to address diversity and inclusivity in research, faculty and staff hiring and public health pedagogy over the next decade.

News, University News

Brown School of Public Health announces Actions to Confront Anti-Black Racism

October 26, 2020 1 comment

Dr. Ashish Jha, dean of the School of Public Health, announced Actions to Confront Anti-Black Racism on Sept. 23, building upon the School’s Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan. 

Dr. Ashish Jha shares a photo on twitter, capturing his excitement to work across departments in promoting global public health.

News, University News

Public health leader Ashish Jha begins as dean of Brown University School of Public Health

September 14, 2020 1 comment

In his new role as the Dean of the School of Public Health, Dr. Ashish Jha will use his expertise to advance public health at Brown by building upon its strategic plan and ensuring academic excellence within Brown’s interdisciplinary environment.

Brown launches full-tuition scholarship for underrepresented students pursuing Masters in Public Health

News, Science & Research

June 22, 2020 Comments are Disabled

The School of Public Health has announced a new Health Equity Scholars fellowship program that will allow up to five students from Tougaloo College — a historically Black college in Mississippi — to pursue a Master of Public Health degree at the University under a full-tuition scholarship.

The new dean of the School of Public Health Ashish Jha is a renowned global health researcher, educator and practitioner.

News, University News

University appoints Dr. Ashish Jha as new School of Public Health dean

March 10, 2020 2 comments

Dr. Ashish Jha will be joining the University as the dean of the School of Public Health Sept. 2020. Jha is currently the director of the Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health.

Brown Policy Lab’s year-long event series hosted Christopher Robertson, a law professor at the University of Arizona. Robertson discussed the idea of ‘moral hazard’ in health insurance at the event.

Metro, News

University of Arizona professor challenges health insurance cost sharing

February 21, 2020 Comments are Disabled

Yesterday, Brown students and professors gathered to hear Christopher Robertson, a law professor at the University of Arizona, argue against the use of cost sharing in health insurance, which includes copays, coinsurance and deductibles.

A study published by researchers based at the Mindfulness Center, in collaboration with others, revealed how mindfulness techniques can reduce blood pressure when they are applied to medical regimens.

Science & Research

Research thrives at Mindfulness Center

January 24, 2020 Comments are Disabled

As students take a step into another year and another semester, exams and busy schedules, the Mindfulness Center at Brown continues to connect University researchers from diverse areas of study.