Topic: science and research

In a new study, University researchers worked with a team in China to discover that Cooper pairs can conduct electricity at a constant rate.

News, Science & Research

University researchers discover new state of matter

December 5, 2019 0 comments

University researchers recently discovered a new state of matter in which pairs of electrons called Cooper pairs conduct electricity as metals.

University researchers analyzed images from CRISM to identify hydrated silica at the Jezero crater on the red planet. The Mars 2020 rover will retrieve samples from the site for further analysis.

News, Science & Research

Fossilizing mineral found at 2020 Mars rover landing site

November 22, 2019 0 comments

Identifying life on Mars may be within reach thanks to University researchers’ new findings of hydrated silica on the red planet.

Nanoparticle therapy shows promise for treatment of rare cancer

News, Science & Research

November 22, 2019 0 comments

This month, a paper published by University researchers Richard Terek and Qian Chen highlighted a potential nanotechnology therapy that targets chondrosarcoma, a rare type of bone cancer.

Project studies Pollock through fluid mechanics

News, Science & Research

November 17, 2019 0 comments

While Jackson Pollock is most known for his unique painting style, some people admire his work for a vastly different reason.

Science and Research Roundup, Nov. 15

News, Science & Research

Science and Research Roundup, Nov. 15

November 15, 2019 0 comments

As students look ahead to Thanksgiving break and trips through T.F. Green and Boston Logan airports, scientists on campus are preparing to study the physics behind the ever-present phenomenon of turbulence.

Is Brown the ‘Happy Ivy?’ Experts weigh in on Herald poll results

News, Science & Research

November 5, 2019 0 comments

Brown is widely known for its unusually happy community, but research has struggled to capture and understand what makes students happy.

Eight undergraduate students and one graduate student are currently working in the Brown Language and Thought Lab under director Roman Feiman. The lab is interested in examining how children’s development of thought processes relates to linguistic development.

News, Science & Research

In University language lab, researchers explore children’s thinking, speech

November 5, 2019 0 comments

In an attempt to decipher how children acquire language, the recently founded Brown Language and Thought Lab is exploring how people form thoughts and linguistic expression from infancy to adulthood.

The computer model successfully replicated a majority of previously collected clinical data, allowing researchers to avoid additional time-consuming clinical drug trials. The group may work with HemaNext, a company which provides healthy red blood cells to transfusion patients.

News, Science & Research

University researchers develop computer model to design drugs for sickle cell

October 30, 2019 0 comments

A University research team has developed an innovative computer model that could help researchers design drugs to treat sickle cell disease, which is currently incurable and lacks abundant or effective treatment options.

Brenda Rubenstein ’07 was named to the Talented 12 Class of 2019, which honors young researchers for contributions to their fields.

News, Science & Research

Chemistry professor honored for quantum work

October 16, 2019 0 comments

Brenda Rubenstein ’07, assistant professor of chemistry, was recently named to the Talented 12 Class of 2019. This exclusive distinction is given to researchers in varying chemical disciplines and from varying backgrounds to highlight their early-career work.

The Plavicki lab uses zebrafish as a model organism to understand the DNA regulatory transcription factor sox9b and its relation to the heart, brain and other physiological systems.

News, Science & Research

University scientists see effects of environmental contamination in zebrafish

October 4, 2019 0 comments

Since 2016, the Plavicki lab has explored the ways that environmental contaminants, which are chemical stressors, affect the brain and heart development of zebrafish.