Topic: Washington D.C.

Hodges ’22: Granting D.C. statehood is a step toward achieving racial equity in the Capitol

Columns, Opinions

September 13, 2021 6 comments

Even as the House Select Committee investigating the attack convenes, what remains absent from the conversation is the extent to which D.C. is symbolic of some of the most acute racial justice issues facing our nation: issues of equity, political representation and access.

Over 60 percent of U.S. citizens opposed the proposal for D.C. statehood, but almost 80 percent of D.C. residents voted in favor of statehood in a 2016 referendum.

Metro, News

51 for 51 rep talks D.C. statehood

November 22, 2019 Comments are Disabled

Members of the American Civil Liberties Union, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, League of Women Voters and more gathered to hear arguments in favor of making Washington D.C. the 51st state from D.C. Statehood Coalition member Elinor Hart Wednesday.

University program provides public service immersion in D.C.

News, University News

March 20, 2018 Comments are Disabled

Every semester, a group of students heads down to Washington, where they have the chance to immerse themselves in the world of public service on Capitol Hill and receive credit for their adventures.

Sports

Flax ’17: Tell me it’s real

March 10, 2017 Comments are Disabled

Life as a Washington, D.C. sports fan is an exercise in disappointment.