Topic: Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs

James Reston has written 18 books ranging on topics from gambling scandals to medieval history.

News, University News

Author James Reston, Jr. delves into his 9/11 novel, The 19th Hijacker in Taubman Center event

March 3, 2021 2 comments

Author James Reston, Jr. spoke at the Taubman Center for American Politics and Policy Wednesday about his most recent novel, “The 19th Hijacker,” which follows the story of one of the 19 men who perpetrated the Sept. 11 terrorist attack.

The SCIJ has partnered with the Watson Institute’s Center for Human Rights and Humanitarian Studies on a program for students to engage in immigrant justice work.

Metro, News

Through Student Clinic for Immigrant Justice, students aim to provide representation for asylum seekers

January 24, 2021 0 comments

At the Student Clinic for Immigrant Justice, an organization incorporated last July, undergraduate students are acquiring the tools to represent asylum seekers in immigration court. 

Stacey Abrams, the Democratic Party’s nominee in the 2018 Georgia gubernatorial election, discussed the power of protests and film beyond voting with Edward Steinfeld P '20 and Liz Garbus ’92 at the Watson Institute panel, “All in: The Fight for Democracy.”

News, University News

Stacey Abrams speaks on importance of voting, activism at Watson panel

September 27, 2020 0 comments

“Voting is not enough” to address social injustice in the United States, said Stacey Abrams, the Democratic Party’s nominee in the 2018 Georgia gubernatorial election, at a Wednesday panel discussing the “All In: The Fight for Democracy” documentary.

The screening will take place Sept. 22 and 23 and will be followed by a panel with guests including Stacey Abrams, and hopes to bring attention to voter suppression.

News, University News

Stacey Abrams, Liz Garbus to speak at Watson documentary screening, panel

September 15, 2020 0 comments

The Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs will host two screenings of a new documentary, All In: The Fight for Democracy, followed by a virtual discussion panel featuring the director, Liz Garbus ’92, and Stacey Abrams.

Chas Freeman Jr., a Watson Institute senior fellow, outlined his views on the current state of American diplomacy at a lecture Thursday.

News, University News

Former U.S. Assistant Secretary of Defense talks American diplomacy

February 21, 2020 Comments are Disabled

Ambassador Chas W. Freeman, Jr. compared the current political and economic state of Washington, D.C. to that of St. Petersburg (then called Petrograd) during the last days of the Russian tsar at a lecture entitled “America in Distress” at the Joukowsky Forum.

Taghi Amirani, Walter Murch and Stephen Kinzer discuss inspiration and complex history behind the new documentary “Coup 53” at a screening of the film in the Granoff Center Tuesday night.

Arts & Culture

Watson kicks off documentary initiative with screening of ‘Coup 53’

January 30, 2020 Comments are Disabled

The Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs kick-started the John F. Kennedy Jr. Initiative for Documentary Film and Social Progress with a screening of “Coup 53” at the Granoff Center for the Creative Arts Tuesday evening.

Narges Bajoghli’s book, “Iran Reframed: Anxieties of Power in the Islamic Republic,” is the culmination of an ethnographic study in Iran that lasted over a decade.

News, University News

Visiting professor Narges Bajoghli discusses decade of research on Iran

January 28, 2020 Comments are Disabled

Narges Bajoghli, professor of Middle East Studies at Johns Hopkins University, discussed the decades-long research behind her 2019 book in a talk at the Watson Institute Monday night.

The Watson Institute announced the new IAPA concentration last spring to mixed student reactions. The three-track concentration is now available to current students in the 2019-20 academic year.

News, University News

Watson implements new IAPA concentration

December 2, 2019 Comments are Disabled

The Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs has begun developing its new concentration in International and Public Affairs.

“The Perfect Immigrant and Other Myths” was hosted by the Center for Latin American Caribbean Studies in their storytelling lecture series.

News, University News

Nina Alvarez discusses immigration policies, experiences

November 12, 2019 Comments are Disabled

While speaking to students about her documentaries on the immigrant experience, Columbia Journalism School Professor Nina Alvarez addressed misconceptions surrounding the American dream and immigration into the United States.

Assistant Professor of History Daniel Rodriguez spoke about Chilean historical memory at the “Chile Woke Up” panel Monday evening.

News, University News

‘Chile Woke Up’ arrives at University

November 12, 2019 Comments are Disabled

Yesterday night, Pamela Ipinza, an employee of the Museum of Memory and Human Rights of Chile, stayed behind at her job in Santiago after many of her colleagues had gone home for the evening.