Topic: Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs

Taghi Amirani, Walter Murch and Stephen Kinzer discuss inspiration and complex history behind the new documentary “Coup 53” at a screening of the film in the Granoff Center Tuesday night.

Arts & Culture

Watson kicks off documentary initiative with screening of ‘Coup 53’

January 30, 2020 0 comments

The Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs kick-started the John F. Kennedy Jr. Initiative for Documentary Film and Social Progress with a screening of “Coup 53” at the Granoff Center for the Creative Arts Tuesday evening.

Narges Bajoghli’s book, “Iran Reframed: Anxieties of Power in the Islamic Republic,” is the culmination of an ethnographic study in Iran that lasted over a decade.

News, University News

Visiting professor Narges Bajoghli discusses decade of research on Iran

January 28, 2020 0 comments

Narges Bajoghli, professor of Middle East Studies at Johns Hopkins University, discussed the decades-long research behind her 2019 book in a talk at the Watson Institute Monday night.

The Watson Institute announced the new IAPA concentration last spring to mixed student reactions. The three-track concentration is now available to current students in the 2019-20 academic year.

News, University News

Watson implements new IAPA concentration

December 2, 2019 0 comments

The Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs has begun developing its new concentration in International and Public Affairs.

“The Perfect Immigrant and Other Myths” was hosted by the Center for Latin American Caribbean Studies in their storytelling lecture series.

News, University News

Nina Alvarez discusses immigration policies, experiences

November 12, 2019 0 comments

While speaking to students about her documentaries on the immigrant experience, Columbia Journalism School Professor Nina Alvarez addressed misconceptions surrounding the American dream and immigration into the United States.

Assistant Professor of History Daniel Rodriguez spoke about Chilean historical memory at the “Chile Woke Up” panel Monday evening.

News, University News

‘Chile Woke Up’ arrives at University

November 12, 2019 0 comments

Yesterday night, Pamela Ipinza, an employee of the Museum of Memory and Human Rights of Chile, stayed behind at her job in Santiago after many of her colleagues had gone home for the evening.

The “20 Years of War” series, which began at the Watson Institute this fall, will build upon the Cost of War project’s existing data on the human, economic, social and political costs of the post-9/11 wars.

News, Science & Research, University News

‘Costs of War’ project initiates research series to evaluate post-9/11 wars

November 8, 2019 0 comments

As federal spending on the post-9/11 wars has ballooned to $5.9 trillion, the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs joined with the The Frederick S. Pardee Center for the Study of the Longer-Range Future at Boston University to initiate a new “20 Years of War” research series this fall.

The former U.S. Ambassador to Mexico defined three historical periods in the U.S.-Mexico relationship. He also suggested that the U.S. may be entering a new phase of its relationship following the Trump administration’s hostility toward Mexican immigrants.

News, University News

Gutiérrez talks history of U.S.-Mexico relationship

October 29, 2019 0 comments

Following leadership changes in both countries, the United States and Mexico may be moving into a new phase of their relationship, said former Mexican Ambassador to the United States Gerónimo Gutiérrez Fernández P’22 in a talk Oct. 28.

Samantha Power discussed her new book called “The Education of an Idealist: A Memoir” with community members yesterday.

News, University News

Power talks importance of individual change

October 25, 2019 0 comments

On June 4, 1989, Ambassador Samantha Power was working for an Atlanta TV station covering sports news — her summer job after her first year at Yale —  when one of the screens in the video booth where she was working started flashing images of students protesting in Tienanmen Square, Beijing. 

Student panelists described experiencing U.S.-centrism and a lack of non-Western perspectives in the curriculum and classrooms of the Watson Institute.

News, University News

Teach-in critiques colonialism in Watson

October 25, 2019 0 comments

Student panelists spoke passionately about their experiences of colonialism in the curriculum and classrooms of the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs during a packed Wednesday teach-in.

Letter: Maintaining the spirit of open debate

Letters to the Editor

October 22, 2019 0 comments

I appreciated The Herald’s coverage of my “Family Weekend” lecture on the protest movement in Hong Kong.