Topic: women’s history month

Emma Mary Woolley, one of the University's earliest female students, left behind a legacy of empowerment, embodied in the victories of her students, family and friends.

News, University News

The life and career of Mary Emma Woolley, one of Brown’s first female graduates

April 8, 2021 1 comment

“I must be effective, but not aggressive; womanly but not womanish; equal to social obligations but always on hand for the business ones,” Mary Emma Woolley 1895 wrote to her life partner Jeanette Marks on April 22, 1932.

Four women-owned small businesses based in Providence

Metro, News

March 30, 2021 0 comments

While there has been a significant increase in the number of women-owned businesses across the nation, recent studies still show that women are underrepresented in the field of entrepreneurship: Only 17 percent of startups in the United States have a female founder.

Despite comprising 48 percent of the nation’s workforce, women represent only 27 percent of workers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics. As an underrepresented field by women, pursuing research in STEM has revealed itself as a struggle among the four Brown University professors.

News, University News

Female professors in STEM reflect on experiences in their fields

March 22, 2021 0 comments

Across the board, women are underrepresented in the sciences. For the women who make up the University’s STEM faculty, this has brought obstacles to pursuing their passions throughout their careers.

When Peck “set her mind on something, she just didn’t stop, and if someone told her no, that was just a signal to push harder," her biographer Hannah Kimberley said.

News, University News

Annie Smith Peck: the Brown student who should have been, but never was

March 18, 2021 0 comments

When Annie Smith Peck submitted her application to the University in 1874 — the first woman to do so — she received a curt response from President Ezekiel Robinson.  “Women are not encouraged to seek higher education,” he wrote, according to Peck’s biographer Hannah Kimberley.

On Mach 2, students and faculty gathered in the Sarah Doyle Center for the celebratory event marking the beginning of Women’s History Month, and the start of the Center’s Women’s History series.

Arts & Culture

Sarah Doyle Center celebrates Women’s History Month

March 5, 2020 Comments are Disabled

On March 2, the Sarah Doyle Center for Women and Gender celebrated the start of Women’s History Month and their Women’s History series.  With the theme of “Radical Roots,” this year’s event series is comprised of lectures and workshops taking place across campus.