Post- Magazine

editor's note [s24] [08]

Dear Readers,

Congratulations all, we’ve officially made it the post-spring-break sprint! It’s time to spend the next three, two, one weeks casting away all responsibilities and forgetting all that we have learned about ignoring our impulses. I can’t wait to sit and sunbathe (in a uniquely northeastern sense) when the thermometer suprasses 60 degrees. I’m excited to listen to the voices and accept any and all physical activity that crosses my path. And right now, I’m especially enjoying reflecting on the past week of wild wooled creatures, spontaneous sweet treats, and brisk boundless frolicking through the streets. Unfortunately, these visions of spring whimsy are currently playing second fiddle to the three problem sets due tomorrow, and I fear the assignments don’t show any signs of stopping, only evolving into larger final projects. So is it a sprint or marathon? Either way, I’ll definitely be choosing the long route to the finish line, taking my sweet time with these last few weeks of my junior year.

This week in post-, our writers are talking about some of the paths they’ve charted in their own lives, short and long. In Feature, our writer explores her fear of air travel and the journeys she has embarked upon between Providence and Beijing. In Narrative, one writer reflects on a car ride where she learned about her recently passed grandmother whom she never met, thinking about the paths that are destined to converge or just miss each other. Meanwhile, the other narrative writer discusses how Barbie dolls have shaped her idea of her own self-image and her journey of self-acceptance. In A&C, a writer reviews Bella Baxter’s monstrous development in Poor Things while the other writer looks back at her sixteen-year-old self as a reflection of her current growth. In Lifestyle, our writers are thinking about their Brown identities as one discusses the way she changes with her friends and the other adopts a new Rhode Island motto to guide her worldview. Finally, our crossword is hitting the road on its own automobile journey.

In just a few short weeks, we’ll descend into the indiscriminate purgatory of the spring semester reading period. I’m struggling to prevent myself from planning my so-called spontaneous adventures that I will take as I try to bridge the gap between spring and summer break with more break. Rest assured that if you ever need a break of your own, there is no better one than taking an afternoon to read post-! So grab a copy, settle down for a bit, and enjoy!

Lost in a reverie,
Joe Maffa
Editor-in-Chief