U. officials prepare for Starf*ck, St. Patrick's Day

The combination of Queer Alliance's Starf*ck party and St. Patrick's Day on Saturday has prompted University officials to prepare for the potential of a large number of students requiring emergency medical care.

Margaret Klawunn, associate vice president for campus life and dean of student life, called Starf*ck and St. Patrick's Day "two events in which students are likely to drink irresponsibly."

Much of the preparation by student life officials has involved dealing with alcohol overconsumption. In 2005, the last year Starf*ck was held, eight students at the party needed ambulance transportation, Klawunn said, adding that the number of students needing medical attention is expected to be about the same this year.

Klawunn said Starf*ck has "never been as much of a problem as Sex Power God," the QA party traditionally held during the fall semester. In November 2005, Sex Power God resulted in 24 students requiring emergency medical care and attracted national attention when it was featured on Fox News' "The O'Reilly Factor." QA was placed on probation after the party, and Starf*ck was not held the following semester. QA held Sex Power God last fall, and 14 students at that event required medical care.

The University is renting a second ambulance to be dedicated to students needing medical attention at Starf*ck, Klawunn said. The University's regular ambulance will be available to serve the rest of campus.

EMTs will roam outside Alumnae Hall, where Starf*ck will be held, assisting intoxicated students until an ambulance can provide further support. Health Services will also have an additional EMT working in the infirmary to care for students there.

Two student life deans will also be at the dance, and Allen Ward, senior associate dean for student life, will be on campus Saturday night and will periodically check in with officials at the party to make sure the event is "running smoothly," Klawunn said.

Security at the event ? which will be similar to efforts for Sex Power God in November ? will include provisions to prevent intoxicated students from entering and disrupting the dance.

"When a student is visibly intoxicated, they will be turned away at the door," Ward told The Herald. Department of Public Safety officers will search Alumnae Hall before Starf*ck to check for hidden stashes of alcohol or drugs, Klawunn said. University officials found one packet of an illicit substance taped to a toilet tank in the fall.

Event policies will be enforced by both Department of Public Safety officers and hired security officers from Green Horn Management, the same company that provided security for SPG in the fall. Six DPS officers and 10 contracted security workers will staff the event, said Shelley Adriance, coordinator for student activities and leadership programs.

Starf*ck student organizers will also use barriers to prevent students from interfering with the line to enter the party.

As a proactive effort to reduce the likelihood of alcohol problems Saturday, Health Education officials worked with QA student organizers to emphasize on Starf*ck advertising that intoxicated students will not be able to enter the event. Health Education has led a more general campaign to prevent alcohol overconsumption due to St. Patrick's Day.

The University is also supporting alcohol-free alternatives to the dance. "There are 14 events this weekend, 10 of which are alcohol-free," Adriance said. "There are a lot of options on campus this weekend that don't involve drinking."

University officials stressed that these preventative measures are not meant to put a damper on the evening.

"This is the spring fundraiser for the Queer Alliance, and so we want it to be a successful fundraiser for that event," Klawunn said. "We hope that this event will celebrate the queer community at Brown, be a fun event for any Brown student that wants to attend and that people will be safe and have fun at the same time."