W. soccer picks up first league victory

Alums and parents flooded the stands Saturday afternoon to watch Brown women's soccer (7-4-3, 1-2-1 Ivy) take on their league rival, Harvard (5-5-1, 2-2-0). They were not disappointed as the Bears edged out Harvard in the final minutes to take home their first league win.

"This was the first time we've beat Harvard since I've been here, so it was pretty awesome," said midfielder Gloria Chun '12.

After a devastating loss to Harvard last year, Bruno was determined to triumph.

"This time around, we thought, we've really got to do it," Chun said.

The Bears' win evened the rivalry record at 20-20-3.

The game was fast-paced and both the Bears and the Crimson had their share of dangerous moments. Just two minutes into the game, a play by Harvard forward Melanie Baskind took goalkeeper Amber Bledsoe '14 out of the box. The goal was defenseless as Baskind set up to shoot, but Chun flew to the box to knock out Baskind's attempt. The Crimson succeeded in their next attempt, as Alexandra Conigliaro volleyed a shot in to the left corner of the net in the 28th minute.

After the Crimson goal, Head Coach Phil Pincince called for a change in formation.

"After they scored, we went into a 3-5-2," Chun said. "It gives us more offense."

The alteration paid off. Ten minutes later, Louisa Pitney '14 took a corner kick that landed Diana Ohrt '13 in the perfect position to one-time it in for her first career goal.

The game remained locked at 1-1 until six minutes remained in the second half. Mika Siegelman '14 crossed the ball to Pitney who, with a beautiful header to the right corner, clinched the win for the Bears.

This game marks Bruno's first league win, and moves them to fifth place in the Ivy standings. Staying on their home field, they look to move up in the rankings when they face Cornell this Saturday in a 2 p.m. match.