Letters to the Editor

Letter: New technology should facilitate teaching

Friday, February 22, 2013

Teacher evaluations should be based on how well these teachers perform in the classroom.

Therefore, to evaluate teacher productivity, educators have to start using 21st-century computer technology to store the daily lessons to be taught by teachers during the school year. For example, all ninth grade math teachers would be evaluated on how well they teach the same basic lessons during the school year. Each daily computerized lesson would match the curriculum and each printout of the lesson would include the lesson plan and the materials needed for the lesson. Printouts would also include student reading material. Computer technology would allow this reading material to be tailored to meet the individual needs of each student.

Teaching lessons in this manner would also ensure that all students cover the required curriculum skills. If a teacher is absent, the substitute would be able to teach the required lessons. When a student is absent for a period of time, these computer lessons would allow for successful homeschooling that would exactly match the lessons being taught in school. In addition, a computer record of all drills, quizzes and tests will be available to evaluators.

Kenneth Berwick

Smithfield, R.I.

• anonymous

“Printouts” “computer technology” ha ha no seriously what the fuck is this

• BH

Not sure, but I know that your comment is so Brown it hurts.

• SM

This doesn’t leave much room for creativity or innovation! I agree that teachers should be judged on their performance in the classroom, but perhaps such a structured system as you are describing would not attract the best minds into the classroom, especially since pay is already pretty low. Perhaps setting structured standards for what to cover in a given year, but not on pedagogy or daily lesson plans!