Metro

Gordon Fox resigns as speaker of R.I. House

Amid cloud of investigations, Fox leaves post but will finish term as representative

Updated March 31, 2014 at 1:30 a.m.

Rhode Island Speaker of the House Gordon Fox, D-Providence, resigned March 22 after federal and state law enforcement officials raided his Statehouse office and home March 21 to collect evidence regarding an “undisclosed matter,” the Providence Journal reported.

Fox, who was Rhode Island’s first black and openly gay speaker of the House, will immediately cease to carry out the office’s duties, his spokesman told the Journal. Though it is not yet clear what allegations, if any, have been made against Fox, this is not the first time he has been associated with possible ethical misconduct. In January, Fox settled with the Rhode Island Ethics Commission to accept a $1,500 fine for “failing to report nearly $43,000 he earned preparing loan documents for Providence’s economic development agency from 2007 to 2009,” the Journal reported March 21.

Fox has also been under scrutiny for his role in a July 2010 deal that guaranteed a $75 million loan to 38 Studios, a video game company that then declared bankruptcy in June 2012. The failed investment by the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation has left taxpayers responsible for some $100 million, The Herald previously reported.

Steven O’Donnell, superintendent of the Rhode Island State Police, did not specify whether Fox is the target of the investigation, or whether the evidence confiscated from his house and office would be used to prosecute cases involving other individuals, the Journal reported.

In a statement emailed to the press by Fox’s spokesman the afternoon of March 21, Fox wrote, “I will continue to serve out the remainder of my term and represent my neighbors and constituents in District 4. That said, I do not intend to seek another term in the House.”

• Kathy

He was RI’s first black and gay Speaker of the House???

• johnlonergan

Does RI believe that the state government can pick winners and losers? I’d bet $100 million that it can’t. VC’s make mistakes all the time–but not with taxpayers’ money.

• Seriously?

Who are you? All you do is jizz yourself about venture capitalists in California and get buttfrustrated about how Brown sucks. Go home.

• johnlonergan

Does it make sense for the State of RI to invest $100 mm in a private enterprise?

• john lonergan for president

“Rhode Island needs a million Gandhis in the legislature, internet internet internet”–my hero and good friend john lonergan

• johnlonergan

Should Brown select from a pool of 30,000 applicants, or a pool of hundreds of millions of the best and the brightest around the world? What’s wrong with wanting to find and accept, and teach, and comatriculate with the next Mahatma Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, Albert Einstein, Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates or Steve Jobs?