After eight years on Angell Street, Spats to close doors

Restaurant and pub will likely be replaced by Chinese restaurant in coming weeks

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The popular Thayer Street restaurant Spats will soon close its doors, according to multiple reports from wait staff. The restaurant and pub, which has inhabited its location at 182 Angell St. since April 2006, is known for its affordable fare, late-night service and themed nights, including Sunday karaoke and Monday trivia.

Many students were saddened to learn of the restaurant’s closing, especially those of or nearing drinking age.

The closing of Spats means “one less place to watch football once you’re 21,” said Jack Olson ’16. “I was kind of looking forward to doing that.”

Mikala Murad ’16 said that though the Graduate Center Bar is a good bar option for students 21 and over, Spats is the only venue in the area that exclusively airs sports games. Murad added that she thinks closing Spats “will change the whole atmosphere of that spot.”

Sophia Sepulveda ’15 started a Facebook event titled “Spats going away tanks,” where anyone who has fond memories of Spats can purchase a tank top with the phrase, “We are the Spats generation.”

“I’ve seen the way that people feel like Spats is such a part of their experience here,” Sepulveda said. “It made me think that it would be great if there was a tangible product to commemorate it.”

Wait staff have not been informed of the restaurant’s official closing date, Spats waitress Lizzy Keagen said. “We heard rumors, but they’re not going to tell us anything for sure,” she said. “Right now we’re just playing it by ear.”

Restaurant owner Andrew Mitrelis declined to comment on the closing of the restaurant, adding that he is currently in negotiations with a potential buyer. According to multiple wait staff members, the alleged buyer will replace the pub with a Chinese restaurant.

-With additional reporting by Camilla Brandfield-Harvey

• Bob Saget

Noooooooooooooooooooooo

• Neil Caswell

Extremely saddened by this. Will never forget the memories of the 2014 World Cup at this pub. Watching Clint Dempsey’s under 30 second goal or Jermaine Jones’ wonder goal in the World Cup will be engrained in my memory for the rest of my life, and by extension, so will Spat’s.

• guest
  • Sophia Sepúlveda

A few people have messaged me upon reading this article. If you’d like updates on the closing details and/or a commemorative tee you can find them here: https://www.facebook.com/events/280300195506667/