Metro

Vaccinations to be required for students and toddlers

Flu vaccine mandatory for children six to 59 months, HPV vaccine for middle schoolers

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

New immunization mandates will likely not affect Brown students because Health Services’ standards already meet the state’s new requirements.

Rhode Island will expand its vaccination requirements for students and child care workers beginning next August, though the changes will likely not affect Brown students, since Health Services’ current standards already meet the state’s new criteria.

Rhode Island children will be affected by the changes, which include a mandatory influenza vaccine for children aged six to 59 months who are attending a licensed daycare facility and a mandatory requirement that students receive the first dose of a three-part series to protect against human papillomavirus in seventh grade, according to a document from the R.I. Department of Health. The subsequent two doses of the HPV vaccine will be required for entry into grades eight and nine, respectively.

“The new requirements are just reflecting the changes in the advance of medicine,” said James McDonald, chief administrative officer of the RIDOH, adding that the vaccines being mandated “are not new vaccines. … These are very safe vaccines.” One primary reason for mandating the influenza vaccine for young children — albeit only those aged six to 59 months and enrolled in a licensed daycare center — is because “children are very efficient at spreading the flu,” McDonald said, adding that it is “a public health principle.”

Vaccinating children could very well reduce the transmissibility of influenza,  said Richard Bungiro, senior lecturer in molecular microbiology and immunology, adding that “the flu vaccine is actually more effective in children than in older people.” Targeting the vaccine to younger children is a good move, Bungiro said, noting that there is a false perception that vaccines might overwhelm a young child’s immune system. In fact, he said, young children have immune systems that are “much more robust” than those of older people.

“I would trade my immune system for the immune system of a six-year-old in a heartbeat,” Bungiro said. Both of his children have received all their scheduled vaccines, he added.

Parents can still exempt their children from the required vaccinations on the basis of religious beliefs or conscientious objections. Pre-existing medical conditions that might preclude children from receiving vaccines are rare, but permissible, exemptions.

But not everyone supports the new requirements. Hillary Davis, policy associate for the Rhode Island chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, said “it’s really sort of an exploding trend we have seen, where people didn’t want to get the (influenza) vaccine, so now they’re forcing it.”

Davis cited a 2012 mandate that required health care workers to receive the flu vaccine, noting that opposition is partly rooted in the belief that the vaccine “is not regularly highly effective.” Davis added that she was concerned about the consequences for unvaccinated children, who would be prohibited from attending school during flu outbreaks.

Getting a flu vaccine reduced the risk of needing to see a doctor for the flu by 60 percent for both children and adults last year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s February 2014 mid-season vaccine effectiveness estimates. The report added, “Even with moderate effectiveness of about 60 percent, flu vaccination can reduce flu-related illness, antibiotic use, time lost from work, hospitalizations and deaths.”

Bungiro acknowledged that the flu vaccine does not offer perfect protection against infection. He noted that the vaccine’s efficacy depends on a variety of factors, but added that “it sure is better than nothing.”

Both Bungiro and McDonald emphasized that vaccinating children can help many others who could contract the illness from children to stay healthy.

Davis also raised concern over the HPV vaccine requirement. “HPV is not being transmitted in school … so we don’t feel that it is an appropriate school requirement.”

“I think once people understand that it’s about preventing cancer, they’re going to want to get it,” McDonald said of the HPV vaccine. “It’s tragic when a young woman dies because of a preventable disease.”

Bungiro said he thought that even if the transmission of HPV is not happening in schools — an assumption to which there might be exceptions — it nonetheless makes sense to add the vaccine as a requirement for school, which has become the standard method for improving a population’s vaccine coverage. Commenting on the students’ relatively young age, Bungiro said “it is better to establish the protection very early,” before the ages when most people usually become sexually active.

Though the University does not require students to be vaccinated against HPV, Bungiro said he thinks that it should be a requirement. Statistically, most people will have sex in college, he said, adding that because it is such an effective method of risk reduction, “we shouldn’t have to tell people to get the vaccine.”

“I think that mandating any vaccine is a two-way road,” said Julia Dodenhoff ’17, adding that though “vaccines are important and the common good sometimes needs to override personal preferences, … you can’t just approach it from a scientific basis.”

Health care providers and policymakers should always be mindful of cultural context, Dodenhoff said.

Monica Kunkel, nursing coordinator of Health Services, said the HPV vaccine is available to students from Health Services. “I support vaccination — I think it was probably one of the greatest public health advancements in the last 100 years,” Kunkel said.

“I know college students are busy,” McDonald said, but “this is one vaccine you can get that can protect you for your entire life.”

“I would hope that Brown students would intellectually consider the risks and benefits” of vaccination, McDonald said.

An earlier version of this article misstated Richard Bungiro’s title. He is a senior lecturer in molecular microbiology and immunology, not a lecturer in biology, molecular microbiology and immunology. The Herald regrets the error.

• lbhajdu1 .

“HPV vaccine will be required for entry into grades eight and nine” – why is this a school requirement are these schools so out of control that kids are actually having sex in the school in eight grade. This is not a generally communicable illness like the flu, the pharmaceutical companies must have given mega kickbacks to Rhode Island for this one. Maybe you can opt-out if your kid agrees to aware a condom every day of eight grade while in school (like the hospital mask policy) ;-).

It’s a good thing there is a philosophical and religious objection to these unnecessary vaccines. The HPV vaccine has killed 32 girls this year. The really bad adverse events rate is very high.

• MD/PhD Candidate

No, the 32 deaths are not this year. That’s since the vaccine has been approved in 2006 – and there is no evidence to support the claim the vaccines caused the deaths (and in most cases, there is evidence to support the claim that they didn’t). (http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Vaccines/HPV/jama.html).

The vaccine needs to be given before kids become sexually active. In australia at least, the vaccine reduced HPV warts by 60% (http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0105967). The US has 26,000 new cases of HPV induced cancer each year (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/20/opinion/lets-not-talk-about-sex-HPV-vaccine.html?_r=1) – no HPV, no cancer.

Kudos to RI for these great public health efforts!

• lbhajdu1 .

I am sure your doctoral mentors will be really impressed with your postings. Most of these studies are fudged:
        http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/07/16/hpv-vaccine-effectiveness.aspx

-Between June 1, 2006 and December 31, 2008, there were 12,424 reported adverse events following Gardasil vaccination, including 32 deaths. The girls, who were on average 18 years old, died within two to 405 days after their last Gardasil injection

-Between May 2009 and September 2010, 16 additional deaths after Gardasil vaccination were reported. For that timeframe, there were also 789 reports of “serious” Gardasil adverse reactions, including 213 cases of permanent disability and 25 diagnosed cases of Guillain-Barre Syndrome

-Between September 1, 2010 and September 15, 2011, another 26 deaths were reported following HPV vaccination

-As of May 13, 2013, VAERS had received 29,686 reports of adverse events following HPV vaccinations, including 136 reports of death,7, as well as 922 reports of disability, and 550 life-threatening adverse events

• Dorit Reiss

VAERS reports do not show causation, and in fact, most of them were found not related to the vaccine. http://www.harpocratesspeaks.com/2013/11/vaers-few-things-we-need-to-discuss.html

Large scale studies found this vaccine extremely safe. http://hpv.kegel.com/safety/

• lbhajdu1 .

In other words “most” people that claim adverse reactions should just be written off as quacks.

• Dorit Reiss

Not at all. Each claim should be investigated. But unfortunately, bad things happen regardless of vaccine, and with millions vaccinated, some will happen after vaccine.

People suffering a tragedy are not “quacks” just because they believe, in error, it was the vaccine. But they can be wrong.

Here are some examples of death reports to VAERS that, on reading, can be seen not to be vaccine related.

275428-1: Got three vaccines on the same day: Vaqta, Gardasil and Varivax. Patient died of myocarditis: “patient had been taken to ER on day of death for abdominal pain w/fever & was dx w/gastroenteritis. CXR at that time revealed cardiomegaly. No EKG or cultures were done. Was d/c to home & continued to not feel well. Parent found patient in bathroom unresponsive at approx 2AM & was transported to a second ER where she expired. ME states patient had approx 2 week hx of cough & runny nose prior to death.”
            Those symptoms of an infection were present for a week BEFORE any vaccines were given.

275438-1: “Given Gardasil vaccine dose #1 3/12/07. No adverse reactionreported. Collapsed and died on 3/26/07″…”COD is sudden cardiac death and pulmonary embolism. Echocardiogram revealed very enlarged right ventricle & small left ventricle as well as large blood clots within both the right atrium & right ventricle. 6/25/07 Received Autopsy Report which reveals following anatomic diagnosis: 1. Pulmonary embolism, occlusive a. pulmonary trunk, left hilar & peripheral vessels b. acute cor pulmonale (by echocardiogram) 2. Pulmonary congestion & edema, bilatera a. no evidence of anomalous coronary artery distribution b. no evidence of ventricular dysplasia”
            Patient was on hormonal birth control pills, a known risk factor for embolisms.

278865-1: “Reportedly had been in good health until 3/1/07 when she developed sore throat, nasal congestion, rhinnorhea & low grade fever. COntinued to worsen & developed myalgias, chest pain & nonproductive cough w/higher fever.” and “6/1/07 Received Death Certificate from epidemiologist which reveals COD asmultiorgan system failure and influenza B viral sepsis with contributing cause of staphyloccoccal secondary infection.”
            Note she was vaccinated a day AFTER the onset of her symptoms. Possibly an unwise move, but there’s just no way a Gardasil vaccine can give you influenza type B or staphylococcus infections.

282372-1 had dental surgery the day before she died (on the day of vaccination). No medical information given other than ‘sudden death’.

287888-1 died two days after vaccination. The cause of death was unknown, but “Toxicology survey findings:urine positive for methadone, benzodiazepines, benzoylecgonine (from cocaine), cannabinoids, nicotine, diphenhydramine and naproxen.”
            Clearly not the vaccine.

• MD/PhD Candidate

exactly, the VAERS doesn’t track “adverse events” for people who don’t get the vaccine. There are a lot of ways to get sick and die. The people who get vaccinated don’t get sicker or die more than the people who don’t.

• Mike Stevens

No you are wrong Dorit – the Gardasil vaccine was clearly contaminated with adulterated cocaine, methadone and benzodiazepines! Evil toxins, you know.

• Twylaa

re: 275428-1
            So you’re saying this individual actually died of the “cough and runny nose”?
            And perhaps if the individual was sick, the vaccines should not have been given.

• Dorit Reiss

re 275428-1: Patient died from an infection, and the symptoms were there pre-vaccine.

Maybe the individual should not have been vaccinated. HPV vaccines are not contraindicated for mild illness, and the impression seems to have been that this was mild. Still: evidence of another cause of death.

• Twylaa

re: “Patient was on hormonal birth control pills, a known risk factor for embolisms.”
            Then maybe patients on hormonal birth control pills shouldn’t be given Gardasil, as Gardasil is also known to be a risk factor for embolisms.

Funny, if one in a million people dies of chicken pox, we are told that chicken pox is terribly dangerous and that people die of chicken pox, instead of each death being explained away by other factors.

• Dorit Reiss

A. Please provide evidence that Gardasil is a risk factor for embolisms, since as far as I know, that’s not the case.

B. Causation to chicken pox is demonstrated in this cases. In the HPV cases, the evidence of causation goes the other way.

• Mike Stevens

Except it isn’t even one in a million who die from chickenpox.
            It’s about one per 40 thousand or so.

• guest

-UCHastings: Call Off
            Your Law School Troll-Dead at 17
            Parents Stalked by Dorit Reiss, a Law
            Professor “Troll” from UCHastings School of the Law. Katie Couric show on
            Gardasil: http://uchastingstroll.com/

-Reiss posted between 11/27-12/3 2013
            947 comments on the Couric site, defending Gardasil and the vaccine industry.

-The Clandestine Money Web:
            http://www.vaccidemic.org/dorit-the-bully-troll-reiss/the-clandestine-money-web/

-Who Is Dorit Reiss? http://www.ageofautism.com/2013/11/who-is-dorit-reiss.html

-Dorit Rubinstein Reiss and the Benefits of
            Agency Capture: The Latest Vaccine Industry Advocate: http://www.ageofautism.com/2013/07/dorit-rubenstein-reiss-and-the-benefits-of-agency-capture-1.html

-Dear Emily Willingham, Dorit Reiss,
            Christopher Hickie and other Vaccine Bullies: http://www.ageofautism.com/2013/11/dear-emily-willingham-dorit-reiss-christopher-hickie-and-other-vaccine-bullies.html

-Dorit “Not Paid To Post?”
            Reiss. http://www.ageofautism.com/2013/12/not-paid-to-post-dorit-rubenstein-reiss-uc-hastings-college-of-law-and-kaiser-permanente.html

-The Media Pigpile on Families of Vaccine
            Injured Children: http://www.ageofautism.com/2014/05/the-media-pigpile-on-families-of-vaccine-injured-children.html

-Reiss know cohorts: Melody Butler,
            lielady & Mike Stevens, Chris Preston and David Gorski
            aka Orac.

• Proponent

/ Well.. Mike is getting some recognition.

Finally.

It’s.. a proud moment.. (*sniff*) … they.. grow up so fast..

😉

• Mike Stevens

I must be worth a few hundred bucks per post now.
            Pharma…where are you? Please notice me now! Everyone else has!

• Twylaa

Most VAERS reports are not investigated. There was no finding that “most of them” were not related to the vaccine. There is only assumption, summary dismissal as coincidence.

• Dorit Reiss

A. VAERS reports are investigated: “DISCLAIMER: Please note that VAERS staff follow-up on all serious and other selected adverse event reports to obtain additional medical, laboratory, and/or autopsy records to help understand the concern raised. However, in general coding terms in VAERS do not change based on the information received during the follow-up process. VAERS data should be used with caution as numbers and conditions do not reflect data collected during follow-up. Note that the inclusion of events in VAERS data does not infer causality.” http://vaers.hhs.gov/data/index

B. 2009 investigation of VAERS reports found that most were minor and most unrelated to vaccine. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19690307

• Dorit Reiss

The article looked specifically at reports about HPV vaccines.

• Maria Mercedes

At the present there is no significant data showing that either Gardasil or Cervarix (GlaxoSmithKline) can prevent any type of cervical cancer since the testing period employed was too short to evaluate long-term benefits of HPV vaccination. Also stop hand picking articles, there are tons of articles from all over the world about HPV vaccine damage. Its more probable to get sick or die from this shot than actually contracting HPV . Load of crap, just like the MMR that doesnt even work to protect you agains the deseasses its meant to protect. I hope they get owned in court…….why dont you talk about that Dorit, MMR Merck lawsuit falsifying information to block other manufacturers so they can keep all the profits. Coming soon to a federal court near you. Another tale hidden by the media.

• Dorit Reiss

At present, there is excellent evidence that HPV vaccines prevent infection with HPV.

Since over 99% of cervical cancer, 90% of anal cancer, and others are caused by HPV, if you prevent the infection, you prevent the cancer. It’s pretty self-explanatory.

You are welcome to provide any credible scientific evidence of any serious harms from the vaccine. I’ve seen none. There are studies in hundreds of thousands of girls that found no serious problems.

So on one hand a vaccine with an excellent safety record, on the other an infection that causes tens of thousands of cancers and thousands of deaths each year. Pretty easy choice.

And I did speak about Merck’s suit. It’s not as clear as you claim, though there may have been wrongdoing. http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/merck-mumps-motions-whistleblowers-the-actual-story/

• Aida Mercado

Another explanatory cover up article. They are liars who only care about money, and people so “passionately” defending them when there is “nothing going on” are as money hungry as them. They will get exposed, and i hope someone also goes after all the bullies that try to push their “truth” to other people by harrasing every single article that questions their credibility. Same trolls on every single page, 24-7 obviously paid to spread their lies.

• Get off the planet

Just so we’re clear, any article or study that doesn’t support the anti-vax movement is a cover up?

Whackadoo. Hopefully the preventable diseases the offspring of anti-vaxxers die from A) aren’t spread to anyone else, and B) remove such anti-science thinking from the gene pool.

• Louise Johnson

Just like UFO sightings, the number of reports of adverse events doesn’t quite match the number of events that actually happened.

There have been over 67.2 MILLION hvp vaccines given without adverse events. Your 29,000 number refers to the total number of adverse events claimed to have occurred, in total, for all of 30 different vaccines over the last 25 years.

It is truly amazing that we can actually prevent several types of cancer with a couple of shots of the HPV vaccine. I take it you and Mr.Mercola would prefer that we revert to a time when cervical cancer was the number one cause of women’s cancer deaths?

• lbhajdu1 .

I would prefer that the right to an education was not contingent on having medical experimentation preformed on your body. And that people have the right to select what medical procedures are in there best interest without having some mandated on them.

• Sullivan ThePoop

There is no medical experimentation at schools and a public education is not your right.

• lbhajdu1 .

I am required to pay school tax as part of my property taxes so it is unfortunate and sick that I don’t have the right to something I must pay for anyway. More of the iron fist of government.

• Sullivan ThePoop

People who never have children have to pay school taxes as a part of their property tax, so do people who pay for private school. It benefits everyone if you live in an area with a good school district so don’t whine.

If doctors were concerned with upkeep on their trophy wives instead of ethics they wouldn’t stock any vaccines.

• MD/PhD Candidate

indeed, the ENTIRE vaccine market yields less profit than lipitor. Vaccines are among the least profitable medical endeavors. A doctor would make way more money not vaccinating you and then treating you when you’re sick.

• Twylaa

That’s not true. Vaccines make substantial profits.

By 2016, the Global Vaccines Market is Expected to Generate
            More Than Twice the Annual Revenue of 2009
            “The global vaccines industry was valued at $24 billion in
            2009 and is expected to reach $52 billion in 2016 at a Compounded Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 11.5%.”
            http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20100115005381&newsLang=en

“Gardasil, a vaccine to guard against human papillomavirus
            and often given to adolescents, is made at the Merck plant in West Point, Montgomery County. Merck reported a 31 percent increase in overall sales to $581 million, with an increase in boys being given the vaccine.”
            http://articles.philly.com/2012-10-28/business/34765451_1_drugmaker-merck-singulair-merck-executive-vice-president

GlaxoSmithKline Q4 profits up 66% from H1N1 vaccines
            “The company’s profits are $2.6 billion. The boost comes from Swine Flu vaccine purchases… Total vaccine sales were up 30 percent for the year to 3.7 billion.”
            http://digitaljournal.com/article/287031

Pfizer profit tops estimates on pain drug, vaccine sales
            http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20111101/HEALTH_CARE/111109999

Pediatric Vaccines Market, Doses, Immunization, Cases and Forecast: Worldwide Analysis
            http://www.prfire.co.uk/medical/pediatric-vaccines-market-doses-immunization-cases-and-forecast-worldwide-analysis-145061

20 Top-selling Vaccines — H1 2012
            http://www.fiercevaccines.com/special-report/20-top-selling-vaccines/2012-09-25

Atchoo! Who’s making money out of flu season
            http://www.cnbc.com/id/101123545

Will Pfizer Inc’s Vaccine Strategy Pay Off?
            http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/03/17/will-pfizer-incs-vaccine-strategy-pay-off.aspx

2012: The Top Fifteen Selling Vaccines
            1. Prevnar 13® – $3.718 billion – Pfizer
            2. Gardasil® – $1.900 billion – Merck & Co/Sanofli Pasteur MSD
            3. PENTAct-HIB – $1.522 billion – Sanofli/Sanofli Pasteur MSD
            4. Infanrix/Pediarix – $1.183 billion – by GlaxoSmithKline
            5. Fluzone – $1.152 billion – by Sanofli/Sanofli Pasteur MSD
            6. Hepatitis franchise – $986 million – by GlaxoSmithKline
            7. Varivax – $846 million – by Merck & Co/Sanofli Pasteur MSD
            8. Menactra – $735 million – by Sanofli/Sanofli Pasteur
            9. Zostavax – $651 million – by Merck & Co/Sanofli Pasteur
            10. RotaTeq® – $648 million – by Merck & Co/Sanofli Pasteur
            11. Synflorix® – $587 million – by GlaxoSmithKline
            12. Pneumovax®23 – $580 million – by Merck & Co/Sanofli Pasteur
            13. Rotarix – $549 million – by GlaxoSmithKline
            14. Adacel – $469 million – by Sanofli/Sanofli Pasteur MSD
            15. Prevnar – $399 million – by Pfizer
            http://sanevax.org/2012-the-top-fifteen-selling-vaccines/

• Dorit Reiss

That’s not profit. That’s revenue.

• MD/PhD Candidate

First off, I didn’t say “not profitable” I said “least profitable” as in “compared to other pharmaceuticals.” Your business wire link is broken but I’m curious as to what defines “vaccine industry” (i.e. is it profits from sales or does it also cover other aspects of the industry since my impression is that’s how industries are “valued”)

This is a nice read – and shows that the 24 billion is not a profit value: http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/big-pharma-supports-antivaccine-movement-conspirac-vaccines-maybe-not/

Anyway, your numbers provide a nice reference point. Let’s look at some non vaccine pharmaceuticals:

Lipitor: 13 billion in 2006 http://www.cnbc.com/id/100413694 (expected to still make 3 billion next year even with generic competition existing since the beginning of 2012 http://www.forbes.com/sites/ycharts/2013/07/09/pfizers-projected-3b-drug-name-will-shock-you/)

In 2005:

Plavix made 5.9 billion

Nexium made 5.7

Advair 5.6

Zocor 5.3

Norvasc 5

Zyprexa 4.7

http://health.howstuffworks.com/medicine/medication/10-most-profitable-drugs.htm

These are actually old sale figures from 2005 and the numbers are probably higher now (or at least not inflation adjusted to your 2012 figures). The 10 most profitable drugs in 2005 were all MORE PROFITABLE than the most profitable vaccine.

If I wanted to line my pockets, I’d choose chronic treatment drugs like statins, ADD meds, and SSRIs (and many others) before I’d push 1-3 dose vaccines.

• Twylaa

Yes, people who don’t have kids pay taxes for schools. We are a society who all have a common interest in raising a generation of children who will someday be paying taxes into a social security system which supports all elderly people, even those who don’t have offspring.

But people who do have kids should have the right to send their kids to public schools. To deny a public education is a huge sanction.

• Sullivan ThePoop

All they are asking you to do is be responsible. If that is too much to ask maybe parenthood is not the right option.

• Eric Bohlman

Worth pointing out that the Hepatitis B vaccine is also an anti-cancer vaccine; Hep B causes the majority of primary liver cancer.

• peace

Keep in mind not all adverse events get reported. Most physicians/hospitals do not even report adverse events, so there is really no way to know how many adverse events that really do exist. VAERS is a passive reporting system, so no one is required to report an adverse event. As a nurse, i never knew that this system even existed and many of my peers do not know about it. I learned about this system on my own because I was concerned with what I am seeing as a nurse and what is happening to people from vaccines. I have come to learn that all vaccines are unsafe. There is no such thing as a safe vaccine. Read the package inserts, investigate the adjuvants that are used as the delivery agents, that in itself should make every human being question the safety of vaccines. When you look at the number of vaccines that are being injected from birth through adulthood, there is no wonder we have so many autoimmune diseases. WE have traded many mild childhood diseases for lifelong autoimmune diseases. Investigate the polio vaccine … they knew there would be a cancer epidemic. This nurse would never, ever be able to administer another vaccine knowing what I know now. We were not taught everything we really needed to know in order to really educate people about the risks and benefits are. People need to be educated about ALL the risks and benefits, and then they can make their own informed decision … we live in a country that people should be allowed to make their own INFORMED decision about an invasive procedure before consenting, and no one should be forced to inject something in their body that they do not feel comfortable with. Vaccines by their very own nature are inherently unsafe.

• Louise Johnson

I got my flu shot today. The clinic handed me a printout that explains the VAERS program and exactly how to report an adverse event. If you are actually an RN, your employer shouldn’t allow you to have any contact with the public. Your ignorance about immunizations put me and my family at risk of a preventable illness that could cost a life.

• MD/PhD Candidate

This is the source given in the article you linked for the “discrepancy” for HPV studies: http://www.theonc.org/author.asp?section_id=2414 That’s an article about cow’s milk vs. almond milk with literally no mention of HPV.

Luckily partaking in medical experimentation is not required for a public school education. These are vaccines that have been examined already in order to get approval. I would prefer that we not subject the medically contraindicated or the small % of people who fail to take to vaccination (a much larger % for flu vaccines) to be exposed to potentially fatal diseases because of the erroneous fears of a small minority.

• guest

Death after Quadrivalent Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccination:
        Causal or Coincidental?
        Lucija Tomljenovic and Christopher A Shaw
        http://www.naturpedia.info/vaccini/cancro_utero_vaccino=morte.pdf

• Mike Stevens

Next you’ll want our teenage kids to hold HPV parties.

• sabelmouse

voting yourself up, mickey?

• Mike Stevens

Want an invite?

• MD/PhD Candidate
  • Twylaa

OK now I know that James McDonald is full of it: ““this is one vaccine you can get that can protect you for your entire life.” Really? Your entire life? What does he base that on? So far studies say maybe 5 years.

• Dorit Reiss

Actually, studies show no waning immunity after 8 years.

• Come on now

Doesn’t support the anti-vax movement, therefore those studies are cover-ups. Duh.

• Twylaa

Well, hopefully “your entire life” is a lot more than 8 years.

• Dorit Reiss

Agreed. But unlike pseudo science, science doesn’t say more than it can show. With a relatively new vaccine, the studies are of limited duration. After 8 years no waning: that suggests immunity will be long term. How long term, whether life long, we won’t know until more time has passed. If a booster is needed twenty years in, that doesn’t reduce the value of the protection.

• Twylaa

There have been a number of very serious adverse reactions
    to the HPV vaccines reported around the world. And, a key researcher has spoken out expressing doubts about whether the possible benefits of this vaccine outweigh the risks.

An Interview with Dr. Diane M. Harper, HPV Expert
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marcia-g-yerman/an-interview-with-dr-dian_b_405472.html

GLOBAL CONCERNS ABOUT HPV VACCINES
    http://sanevax.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/03.27.11-HPV-Vaccine-Fact-Sheet121.pdf

The Truth About Gardasil
    http://truthaboutgardasil.org/

Judicial Watch reports on Gardasil adverse reactions
    http://www.judicialwatch.org/bulletins/gardasilhpv-vaccination-investigation/

Gardasil and Unexplained Deaths
    http://www.gardasil-and-unexplained-deaths.com/

• Twylaa

In Japan:

“Cervix vaccine issues trigger health notice”
      http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/06/15/national/cervix-vaccine-issues-trigger-health-notice/#.Ub4PiBaxP8v

“Victims hit cervical cancer vaccines – Paralyzed teens, parents demand subsidized shots be eradicated”
      http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/08/24/national/victims-hit-cervical-cancer-vaccines/#.UhmkARaxP8t

Japan withdraws support of controversial HPV vaccine over safety concerns
      http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/japan-withdraws-support-of-controversial-hpv-vaccine-over-safety-concerns

• Twylaa

These two scientists looked at a microscopic level to find causes – something that parents can’t do, and our govt won’t do – and that can’t be done on the brains of the living.

Death after Quadrivalent Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
        Vaccination: Causal or Coincidental?

Abstract

Background: The proper understanding of a true risk from vaccines is crucial for avoiding unnecessary adverse reactions (ADRs). However, to this date no solid tests or criteria have been established to determine whether adverse events are causally linked to vaccinations.

Objectives: This research was carried out to determine whether or not some serious autoimmune and neurological ADRs following HPV vaccination are causal or merely coincidental and to validate a biomarker-based immunohistochemical (IHC) protocol for assessing causality in case of vaccination-suspected serious adverse neurological outcomes.

Methods: Post-mortem brain tissue specimens from two young women who suffered from cerebral vasculitis- type symptoms following vaccination with the HPV vaccine Gardasil were analyzed by IHC for various immuno- inflammatory markers. Brain sections were also stained
        for antibodies recognizing HPV-16L1 and HPV-18L1 antigen which are present in Gardasil.

Results: In both cases, the autopsy revealed no anatomical, microbiological nor toxicological findings that might have explained the death of the individuals. In contrast, our IHC analysis showed evidence of an autoimmune vasculitis potentially triggered by the cross-reactive HPV-16L1 antibodies binding to the wall of cerebral blood vessels in all examined brain samples. We also detected the presence of
        HPV-16L1 particles within the cerebral vasculature with some HPV-16L1 particles adhering to the blood vessel walls. HPV-18L1 antibodies did not bind to cerebral blood vessels nor any other neural tissues. IHC also showed increased
        T-cell signalling and marked activation of the classical antibody-dependent complement pathway in cerebral vascular tissues from both cases. This pattern of complement activation in the absence of an active brain infection indicates an abnormal triggering of the immune response in which the immune attack is directed towards self-tissue.

Conclusions: Our study suggests that HPV vaccines containing HPV-16L1 antigens pose an inherent risk for triggering potentially fatal autoimmune vasculopathies.

Practice implications: Cerebral vasculitis is a serious disease which typically results in fatal outcomes when undiagnosed and left untreated. The fact that many of the symptoms reported to vaccine safety surveillance databases following HPV vaccination are indicative of cerebral vasculitis, but are unrecognized as such (i.e., intense persistent migraines, syncope, seizures, tremors and tingling, myalgia, locomotor
        abnormalities, psychotic symptoms and cognitive deficits), is a serious concern in light of the present findings. It thus appears that in some cases vaccination may be the triggering factor of fatal autoimmune/neurological events. Physicians should be aware of this association.

http://www.greatergoodmovie.org/TGG/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Death-after-quadrivalent-human-papillomavirus-vaccination-full-paper.pdf

http://sanevax.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Tomljenovic-Shaw-Gardasil-Causal-Coincidental-2167-7689-S12-001.pdf

• Twylaa

HPV vaccines have been linked with autoimmune disorders.

Human papillomavirus vaccine and systemic lupus erythematosus.
        Authors Gatto M, et al.
        Clin Rheumatol. 2013 Sep;32(9):1301-7. doi: 10.1007/s10067-013-2266-7. Epub 2013 Apr 28.
        Department of Medicine, University of Padova, Padova, Italy

Abstract

To investigate the association between human papillomavirus
        (HPV) vaccination and autoimmune manifestations compatible with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) or SLE-like disease, the medical history of six women who presented with SLE or SLE-like disease following HPV immunization was collected. Data regarding type of vaccine, number of immunization, family and personal, clinical and serological features, as well as response to treatments were analyzed. In the reported cases, several common features were observed, such as personal or familial susceptibility to autoimmunity or adverse response to a prior dose of the vaccine, both of which may be associated with a higher risk of post-vaccination autoimmunity. Favorable response to immunosuppressant was observed in all patients. In the current study, a temporal association between immunization with HPV vaccine and the appearance of a spectrum of SLE-like conditions is reported. Additionally, among the patients described, several common features were observed that may enable better identification of subjects at risk. Further studies are required to assess the safety of immunization with the HPV vaccine in patients with autoimmune-rheumatic diseases or in subject at risk of autoimmunity as well as the potential beneficial effect of preventive immunosuppressants.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23624585/

• Twylaa
          • ReadTheArticle

“We conclude therefore that the association between the HPV vaccine and vasculitis is extremely rare, and should not affect vaccine usage.”

• Twylaa

Human papilloma virus vaccine and primary ovarian failure: another facet of the autoimmune/inflammatory syndrome induced by adjuvants.
          http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23902317
          RESULTS:
          All three patients developed secondary amenorrhea following HPV vaccinations, which did not resolve upon treatment with hormone replacement therapies. In all three cases sexual development was normal and genetic screen revealed no pertinent abnormalities (i.e., Turner’s syndrome, Fragile X test were all negative). Serological evaluations showed low levels of estradiol and increased FSH and LH and in two cases, specific auto-antibodies were detected (antiovarian and anti thyroid), suggesting that the HPV vaccine triggered an autoimmune response. Pelvic ultrasound did not reveal any abnormalities in any of the three cases. All three patients experienced a range of common non-specific post-vaccine symptoms including nausea, headache, sleep disturbances, arthralgia and a range of cognitive and psychiatric disturbances. According to these clinical features, a diagnosis of primary ovarian failure (POF) was determined which also fulfilled the required criteria for the ASIA syndrome.

CONCLUSION:
          We documented here the evidence of the potential of the HPV vaccine to trigger a life-disabling autoimmune condition. The increasing number of similar reports of post HPV vaccine-linked autoimmunity and the uncertainty of long-term clinical benefits of HPV vaccination are a matter of public health that warrants further rigorous inquiry.

A similar report from the BMJ:
          Premature ovarian failure 3 years after menarche in a
          16-year-old girl following human papillomavirus vaccination
          http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2012/bcr-2012-006879.abstract
          Summary
          Premature ovarian failure in a well adolescent is a rare
          event. Its occurrence raises important questions about causation, which may signal other systemic concerns. This patient presented with amenorrhoea after identifying a change from her regular cycle to irregular and scant periods following vaccinations against human papillomavirus. She declined the oral contraceptives initially prescribed for amenorrhoea. The diagnostic tasks were to determine the reason for her secondary amenorrhoea and then to investigate for possible causes of the premature ovarian failure identified. Although the cause is unknown in 90% of cases, the remaining chief identifiable causes of this condition were excluded. Premature ovarian failure was then notified as a possible adverse event following this vaccination. The young woman was counselled regarding preservation of bone density, reproductive implications and relevant follow-up. This event could hold potential implications for population health and prompts further inquiry.

• Dorit Reiss

ASIA is a made-up syndrome. That’s why there’s no independent verification for it outside Shoenfeld’s group: he’s the only one that believes it exists.

You are welcome to provide independent verification.

In 90% of cases, the causes of ovarian failure are unknown. And there’s no real evidence connecting it with the vaccine. In fact, studies found no higher rates of autoimmune problems in those that got the vaccine than those that didn’t.

• Twylaa

Denmark:
        THE GARDASIL EXPERIENCE IN DENMARK: ONE FAMILY’S STORY
        http://www.hormonesmatter.com/gardasil-experience-denmark-one-familys-story/

Israel:
        HPV Vaccine: A Strong Criticism from Leading Israeli OBGYN
        Doctor
        http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/9/prweb11149090.htm
        “I am not at all against vaccines. I just underwent the
        oral polio vaccination as the Health Ministry instructed medical institutions to give the two drops to every doctor who is in direct contact with patients. But, HPV is different from all other vaccines. It is not a vaccination against cervical cancer but against a virus that in some cases causes a premalignant condition, and in a small number of cases, a malignancy…
        “What is known does not yet justify widespread vaccination of healthy girls…”

Spain:
        Gardasil: Criminal complaint filed in Spain
        http://sanevax.org/gardasil-criminal-complaint-filed-spain/

Columbia:
        Whatever Happened to Informed Consent?
        Gardasil Scandal Brewing in Colombia?
        by MARIO LAMO JIMÉNEZ
        http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/05/06/gardasil-scandal-brewing-in-colombia/

Hundreds of teenage girls in Colombia struck by mystery illness
        http://globalnews.ca/news/1530883/hundreds-of-teenage-girls-in-colombia-struck-by-mystery-illness/

• Mike Stevens

Yes, thanks to scurrilous scare mongering of the type you antivaxers constantly post, some authorities have shied away from strong recommendations about using the vaccine, and have taken the line of “We’ll wait for more information first”.
        Yet the information, as Dorit has pointed out, exists in abundance that any serious reactions to HPV vaccination are extremely rare, and that the protection given by the vaccine hugely outweighs any possible harm.

I would hesitate to use Japan as an example of an appropriate example of how to handle a manufactured vaccine scare. Recall that when there was an unjustified concern about MMR, they withdrew it, and within a decade Japan was hit by massive measles epidemics of a quarter of a million children, with numerous deaths. They changed their minds, but that came too late for the hunderds of kids left dead or brain damaged by the measles, that could so easily have been prevented.

• Dorit Reiss

There have been a number of claimed serious adverse reactions. None, or almost none of them have scientific evidence behind them – as can be seen by the fact that none of the sources brought here are scientific. With over 60 million doses given in the U.S. some problems will appear shortly after the vaccine. But deciding not to protect a child against an infection that causes cancer and kills because of these unsupported studies – in the face of studies in hundreds of thousands of young women showing it’s safe – is problematic.

Using these stories to scare people away from protecting children is also problematic.

Scientific studies examined those vaccines. The rate of problems was found similar in girls who got it and girls who didn’t. http://hpv.kegel.com/safety/

The scientific evidence is that the only side effect caused by the vaccine, besides local reaction like sore arms, is fainting on the day of.

• Dorit Reiss

HPV vaccines were studied in hundreds of thousands of girls. Over hundred million doses were given world wide, with close monitoring. The only problem causally connected to the vaccines besides local reactions is fainting on the day of. http://hpv.kegel.com/safety/

HPV causes tens of thousands of cancers and thousands of deaths each year. not protecting a child against it because of unsubstantiated stories that go against the scientific and medical evidence is problematic. And see: http://momswhovax.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-costs-of-fight-against-hpv-vaccine.html

• Chris

Oh for pete’s sake. It is not “Mandatory” to get these vaccines. If we oppose it, we can simply sign a waiver at our kid’s school. Not a big deal.

• Chris

Hey, anyone know what is going on with Dr. William W. Thompson, the CDC researcher who admitted he omitted data on vaccine safety studies? He has attorneys now.

• Chris

Google CDCwhistleblower or read the press release from the “good” Dr. himself at MorganVerkamp.com

• Barbara Ford

Why would you force people to get a vaccine that is only 1.5% effective in preventing the flu (Cochrane Institute)?

• Lolamento

It is more possible to have complications from the HPV vaccine than from the desease itself. And before trolls jump down my throat, go spread ur HPV safe proganda to the hundreds and thousands of women in latino american and india that are dying and having too many complications with this vaccine experimentation in their country.

• Barbara Feick Gregory

This is so terribly wrong.

Childhood illnesses were one of God’s creations. We do our best to provide a good environment so our children will be healthy. If they get sick, it is wonderful to have medical treatments, and if a child dies, he died a natural death. If, on the other hand, we vaccinate a healthy child knowing that there is a risk however small and that child dies, we are guilty of murder. God did not make a mistake when he created us or disease. We make a mistake when we try to play God.

• Grandparents4Choice