20 percent of early decision applicants offered admission

Early admission rate rises from last two years

Science & Research Editor
Thursday, December 11, 2014

Updated Dec. 11 at 8:45 p.m.

The University accepted 20 percent of early decision applicants to the class of 2019, admitting 617 students to the largest early decision class since the program was instated for the class of 2006, wrote Dean of Admission Jim Miller ’73 in an email to The Herald.

The 20 percent early admission rate is higher than in recent years — 18.9 percent of early applicants were admitted to the class of 2018 and a record-low 18.5 percent of early applicants were admitted to the class of 2017.

Out of the 3,016 total early decision applicants this year, 1,968 were deferred to regular decision and 408 were denied admission.

The early decision applicants to the class of 2019 comprised the “strongest ED pool we have ever had,” Miller wrote.

The Program in Liberal Medical Education accepted 18 students, the same number as in the last early decision cycle, Miller wrote.

Recruited athletes account for 26 percent of the early decision class, marking a small dip from the last admission cycle, when athletes accounted for 28 percent of the class, Miller wrote.

Racial minorities account for 31 percent of the admitted class — a slight rise from the last admission cycle, when 30 percent of early admits identified as racial minority students.

Forty-six percent of admitted students applied for financial aid.

Approximately 58 percent of early admits are female, while approximately 42 percent are male.

Admitted students hail from 43 states and 31 nations. New York, California, Massachusetts, New Jersey and Rhode Island are the most represented states in that order, Miller wrote. China, Canada, the United Kingdom, Singapore, France and India are the best-represented foreign countries.

The mid-Atlantic region accounts for 24 percent of the admitted class, New England accounts for 21 percent, the Mountain and Pacific states account for 19 percent, the South accounts for 12 percent and the Midwest accounts for 9 percent. The remaining 15 percent of students are international.

“It feels amazing to get into Brown. … It feels like such a relief to find out,” said Katie Hammaker ’19 of Ephrata, Pennsylvania, who received a “likely” letter earlier this year as a recruit to the field hockey team.

“I decided to apply ED after visiting the school,” she added. “When I visited, everyone was so nice and willing to share what they liked about Brown.”

Mark Hocevar ’19 of Perry, Ohio, said he felt a “connection (he) didn’t feel at any other school” during his three visits to Brown. “It’s the whole package you’re looking for in a college.”

An admit to the Program in Liberal Medical Education, Hocevar said he plans to concentrate in cognitive neuroscience before attending Alpert Medical School. He said he is also interested in participating in robotics research and taking Hispanic studies courses.

– With additional reporting by Eben Blake

• Ingrid Thomas

Congratulations, early admits. Now that you are in, you can follow in all the Brunonian footsteps. Rape and cheat to your hearts’ delight. President Paxson encourages you to do so.

• wtf

what the hell is wrong with you? in a community of thousands, there will always be black sheeps. Brown is an incredibly welcoming place. don’t be freaked out by those trolls on the BDH page. they try to find a meaning in their lives by putting down their alma matter. not to say that Brown is perfect, but if you hear Brown and the first thing you think about is “rape” there is something wrong with you. just saying

• Trut Truf

Oh yeah we take it back. Nobody ever ever rapes or cheats at Brown. How could anybody even think of such a thing? Only liars talk about that kind of thing. Even when President Paxson encourages people to rape and to cheat, it just doesn’t happen. Hear me? It doesn’t happen. There! Happy?

• cassidy

get a life, troll

• Filipo Inzaghi

If he really felt such a connection why did he need to return two more times?

• no one

Why assume the worst? Maybe he has friends or family nearby to visit.