Alum assaulted on Waterman and Gano

Unidentified male assailant flees crime scene after arrival of two witnesses

Friday, February 20, 2015

A woman walking near the intersection of Waterman Street and Gano Street was assaulted Wednesday night around 9:30 p.m., according to a campus-wide email Thursday from the Department of Public Safety.

The victim broke free from her male assailant, whom the email described as approximately 5-foot-7 and 40 to 45 years old. The assailant then fled the scene on foot.

“What was odd to me about the event was that he didn’t try to take my purse or grab my stuff,” said the woman, who wished to remain anonymous due to privacy concerns. “He tried to grab me, and he said ‘you’re coming with me.’ He was trying to take me somewhere.”

When two individuals appeared across the street, the assailant let her go and ran away, she added.

She remained in the area until Providence Police officers arrived. “The Providence Police were responsive and showed up very soon after,” she said. A Brown detective also arrived at the scene to interview the victim about the incident.

A Providence Police investigation to identify the assailant is ongoing, according to the email. The victim has been in communication with officers via email.

“It does seem like they’re doing their best,” she said.

DPS could not be reached for comment by press time.

• Riva Crab

DPS does not do their jobs. They are not meant to. They are just “window dressing” for Chris Paxson and Margaret K.

• ’13

The intersection of Waterman and Gano is far enough off-campus that it’s not even within DPS’ jurisdiction. Stop trolling and shut up.

• ’31

That’s the point. The jurisdiction is with Providence PD. DPS has NO jurisdiction. It is there for show, and is a figment of Margaret K’s imagination. And so, once again: DPS does not do their jobs. They are not meant to. They are just “window dressing” for Chris Paxson and Margaret K.

• guest

No, DPS deals with incidents on campus. Providence PD doesn’t. It’s legally defined that way.

When you argue needlessly with people on this forum you disseminate incorrect information that doesn’t actually help people on campus.

• Meh

Don’t bother feeding the troll.

• Yasef Meh
          • Green Princess

Once again: The jurisdiction is with Providence PD. DPS has NO jurisdiction. It is there for show, and is a figment of Margaret K’s imagination. And so, once again: DPS does not do their jobs. They are not meant to. They are just “window dressing” for Chris Paxson and Margaret K.