Campus reacts to new details in Phi Psi case

Students express concerns over University’s lack of transparency, attention to two complainants

By and
Senior Staff Writers
Thursday, March 5, 2015

As new details surrounding the Phi Kappa Psi case broke across campus Wednesday, many students reacted with frustration at what they perceived as the University’s lack of transparency.

Others stressed the importance of respecting the two female students who reported being served a drink containing the date-rape drug GHB at an October party held by the fraternity.

The University will not move forward with a hearing for the Phi Psi member charged in December with serving a drink spiked with GHB after hair and urine tests were deemed inconclusive, The Herald reported Wednesday.

The laboratory and toxicologist on which the University relied for the flawed hair test have both faced prior accusations of inaccurate and misleading test reporting, The Herald also reported Wednesday.

Many students expressed disillusionment with the way the University handled its campus-wide announcements about developments in the case, emphasizing the need for transparency in future cases.

“What Brown should be thinking about is when they release information and how they release it,” said Lucrezia Sanes ’17. The University should not publicize information before it is proven legitimate, she said in reference to the urine test.

Elodie Freymann ’18 characterized community-wide emails from administrators regarding the case as “extremely shady.”

On Nov. 8, Vice President for Campus Life and Student Services Margaret Klawunn and Executive Vice President for Planning and Policy Russell Carey ’91 MA’06 notified the Brown community that one of the two women had tested positive for GHB. In a Jan. 19 community-wide email, Klawunn and Carey announced that Phi Psi would be sanctioned with loss of University recognition and housing for four years.

But in a Feb. 21 community-wide email announcing that the drug test was in fact inconclusive, the administrators wrote that the University had modified these sanctions to allow the fraternity to petition for recognition starting in May 2017.

Jessica Brown ’16 cast what she saw as a mishandled University communication effort as contradictory to the administration’s commitment to clarity regarding its decision-making.“The communication has been said to be very transparent, yet everybody’s very confused,” she said.

Klawunn told The Herald Tuesday evening that the University cannot discuss individual cases because of “federal guidelines,” suggesting limits on how transparent the University is legally allowed to be.

Several students also said the University’s handling of the case demonstrates a lack of concern for the complainants, noting that the administration seems more concentrated on public relations than on the two women.

“It’s really showing that there’s not so much of a focus on those girls, but more on the relationship between Brown and the public, Brown and Phi Psi, Phi Psi and the public,” Brown said. “It makes it a lot harder for (the complainants) to reach out” to the University for support, she added.

Sam Jones ’18 said that “outsiders have the luxury” of viewing sexual misconduct cases and critiquing University decisions from a distance, while the two women’s daily lives are directly affected.

Some spoke out against the University’s decision not to hold a hearing for the fraternity member.

“This is an obstruction of justice,” said Jacinta Lomba ’17.

Ezra Kagan ’17 said, “The priority has to be doing whatever makes women and survivors of sexual assault feel safe on this campus … even if that means erring on the side of heavy punishment.”

Looking ahead, many predicted students will organize in opposition to the University’s handling of the case. “This is not what we stand for, at least as a student community,” Lomba said. If the University wants the support of its students, “then something needs to happen.”

Emily Schell ’16, the founder of Stand Up! Brown, an organization working to prevent sexual assault on campus, said she expects “direct action” from student groups in the coming weeks. She envisions the action taking shape as a grassroots movement, with sexual assault prevention organizations fueling the engine for more widespread student efforts.

It is important “to get members of the student body that are not normally involved in these conversations involved,” Schell said. High engagement would signal to the University that the entire campus takes sexual assault very seriously, she added.

• Greek alum

If people think safety of the victims is most important than why is the ACTUAL rapist still on campus!!? I noticed the “false” information phi psi was circulating did not include (which I assume means it’s true) the fact that the alleged rapist is still on campus yet phi psi the organization is not.

• Qwijibo

Assuming there IS an actual rapist. Was a police report ever filed?

• student fuming

since when are police reports filed every time there is a rape??????

• Johnny Law

The priority has to be doing whatever makes women and survivors of sexual assault feel safe on this campus … even if that means erring on the side of heavy punishment.”

Let that soak in, men. Whatever it takes. Truth and facts be damned.

• Absurdity

Should heavy punishment be handed down before or after the accused is given a fair trial and all evidence has been reviewed? Or, according to your logic, should the heavy punishment be swift and based solely on what is initially reported by the victim? What about a punishment for those who in fact aren’t sexually assaulted, yet make false accusations? (U. Virginia for example)

The fact of the matter is, the criminal justice system should be handling sexual assault cases, not universities. As this case has shown, the university is inclined to distort the truth and backtrack on their poor judgment (or lack thereof).

Truth and facts are reality. So, you would like to deny reality and damn the truth for the sake of ruining lives just to make women feel safe? Should higher education be reserved for females only?

Soak that in you fool. “Whatever it takes. Truth and facts be damned.” sounds like something the leaders of North Korea would say. Your irrationality and belief be damned.

• Alum 14

… I’m pretty sure he was being sarcastic because, as you pointed out, the witch hunt mentality is ridiculous.

• guest

technically, greek alum’s comment was made a day before that article came out.

• Greek Alum

As guest below points out – I made my comment before that news broke. but trust me – I’m absolutely horrified by that. I’m also horrified by the implications surrounding how they’re treating Phi Psi the organization and the fact that the university is so dialed in on the Greeks that they’ve created this absurd narrative whereby someone at Phi Psi decided to randomly drug this girl instead of the student who raped* her.

All of this comes a semester after the QA openly admitted that SPG facilitated multiple campus rapes over the span of multiple years (http://bluestockingsmag.com/2014/09/22/sex-power-god-is-canceled-a-statement-from-the-queer-alliance-coordinating-committee/). The university said/did NOTHING to the QA. Has that been brought up at any point on campus during the protesting of this case?

*not according to Brown

• Greek Alum

Also I sure hope anyone protesting #moneytalksatbrown is including the McCormick case (http://brown-spectator.com/2012/05/a-universitys-shame-how-brown-betrayed-one-of-its-students/). Money talks regardless of whether you’re the accuser or the accused and we can’t be selectively outraged if the money is coming from the accused.

• matt10023

Given there was no evidence that there was exogenous GHB in the complainants system, what should the university do?

There is a presumption in some of the comments here that the woman’s lack of recollection of consent means she never gave consent. However the university needs to weigh all the evidence including the testimony of the accused student.

It’s been demonstrated that teens and young adults are much more prone to blackouts when drinking heavily than older people. When in that condition, people can appear aware and in control, but still have no memory after the fact.

So it’s possible that the woman did consent, but has no memory of it. Her own testimony indicates gaps.

What this case demonstrates is that alcohol in large enough quantities can impair memory and lead to regrettable outcomes. Here’s a suggestion from this cautionary tale. Drink moderately.

• “Burn the witch!”

Ezra would have fit right in in 1890 Salem.

“It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer”. Oh, how far we’ve fallen.