Brown launches $3 billion comprehensive campaign

'BrownTogether' more than doubles goal of previous campaign, Ruth Simmons' 'Boldly Brown'

Friday, October 23, 2015

Updated Oct. 26, 2015 at 12:20 a.m.

The University officially launched the “BrownTogether” campaign Friday evening with a goal of $3 billion — its largest fundraising campaign to date.

The campaign launch followed a Corporation vote earlier in the day approving the details of the campaign proposed by President Christina Paxson P’19.

The campaign’s name reflects the University’s desire to “bring the community together,” Paxson said.

Arriving at the value for BrownTogether’s monetary goal involved “a little bit of science” and “a lot of art,” Paxson said, adding that there is no set end date for the campaign.

Over the last two years, the University has raised just under $950 million “in what we are calling the nucleus fund,” said Patricia Watson, senior vice president for advancement. Ten donors have already given at least $25 million each.

Following a “rule of thumb that you want the nucleus fund to be about 30 percent of the campaign,” $3 billion was identified as a goal that is not only “aspirational but also achievable,” Paxson said.

“I’m delighted to see that the president and the Corporation have committed themselves to this much money,” said John Savage P’88 P’95 P’03 P’05 GP’17, professor of computer science. “Brown has to reach higher than it’s reached before.”

The new campaign goal more than doubles that of Brown’s previous comprehensive fundraising effort.

At the January 2011 close of the University’s most recent campaign, “Boldly Brown,” former President Ruth Simmons had raised $1.6 billion over the course of six years, surpassing the campaign’s original goal of $1.4 billion. Sixty percent of the funds raised in this campaign came from alums, Paxson said.

In June 2011, Yale concluded its most recent campaign with funds totaling $3.9 billion. Princeton closed a campaign at $1.9 billion in June 2012. And in September 2013, Harvard launched its current campaign with the goal of raising $6.5 billion.

The targeted $3 billion in funds for BrownTogether will “set in motion plans designed to take Brown to a significantly new level of excellence” and “make a significant impact on global issues beyond Brown,” Paxson said.

The objectives of the campaign are grounded in initiatives laid out in Paxson’s 10-year strategic plan, “Building on Distinction,” most notably revolving around the plan’s seven themes of integrative scholarship.

Ranging from sustainability to the human experience, these seven interdisciplinary themes use “cross-disciplinary inquiry” to address “real-world challenges,” said Provost Richard Locke P’17. “To do this kind of work and to do it at the level and the scale that we want requires resources, and that’s why this campaign is so important.”

The campaign is divided into four priority areas of investment: people, education and research, campus and community and the Brown Annual Fund.

Investments in people will entail $1.1 billion in fundraising for undergraduate financial aid, medical and graduate student fellowships, endowed professorships and diversity, Paxson said.

These “efforts to bolster faculty diversity and increase undergraduate financial aid are essential in building a more representative and inclusive learning environment,” said Undergraduate Council of Students President Sazzy Gourley ’16.

Investing in endowed faculty chairs allows the University to stay competitive in recruiting and retaining faculty members at the top of their fields, said Dean of the Faculty Kevin McLaughlin P’12. “When we are recruiting outside of Brown, the fact that we would have a named chair granted gives a level of prestige.”

Approximately 17 percent of faculty salaries are currently endowed, and the University plans to double that amount, McLaughlin said, adding that “every salary that’s supported by endowment frees that amount of money up to support other things in our budget.”

The planned $900 million investment in education and research will support growth in Building on Distinction’s seven integrative themes that will bring “different perspectives and ideas together to tackle problems that demand a diversity of knowledge and methodologies,” Paxson said. This involves investing in fields of study that will investigate issues of peace and justice, explore how art affects society, examine how we create and interact with technology and confront the effects of climate change, she said.

“By focusing on certain kinds of integrative themes, I think it greatly increases our research competitiveness,” said David Savitz, vice president for research and professor of epidemiology. “I’m very excited that Brown is embracing its identity as a research university, in no way compromising its identity as an undergraduate institution,” he said.

Investments in this area will “help shape not just the kind of research and education that we offer here on campus, but also help shape policy and help discover new treatments and cures and help us promote all sorts of new inventions,” Locke said.

The campaign’s goal is to raise $600 million for campus infrastructure, which will allow the University to build a new performing arts center and pursue further development in the Jewelry District, among other projects. These developments in campus infrastructure will help support a campus where “students and faculty come together to do the kind of learning and research that serves society,” Paxson said.

Plans for campus infrastructure include “a significant commitment to investing in the research infrastructure,” Savitz said. The University broke ground on the new $88 million engineering building Thursday as part of the campaign kickoff festivities.

“In order to be able to do certain kinds of research, you need certain kinds of core facilities,” Savitz said. “There is now an investment and a plan that we’re developing where there would be fundraising toward supporting those kinds of laboratories.”

The proposed $400 million in fundraising for the Annual Fund will add to the University’s “pool of unrestricted giving” that offers the flexibility to invest in various programs of study, research and student support, Paxson said.

On the whole, the campaign is a “chance to move up even further in some of the areas where we really want to make a mark,” McLaughlin said. “We don’t have the financial resources that our peers do, and if we can get closer to them, we will be able to really take off the table some of the financial advantages that our peers have.”

“People are very on board with a lot of the priorities of the campaign,” Gourley said. But with regard to components of the campaign that affect the undergraduate experience, “it’s important that student voices be prioritized in shaping those implementation strategies,” he said.

• Blaine Richardson

That will be more than enough funds for Chris Paxson to keep appointing committees for toilet maintenance.

• Eric Rohmer

it should have been $4 billion. then i’d be impressed and inspired. we are nervous nellies. c’mon, Brown! where’s the confidence?

• cirm

$3 billion? Really? Can you say greedy and selfish? You may have wanted to take my crowdfunding class. Modesty is part of the crowdfunding ethos. See: https://www.udemy.com/how-to-crowdfund/

In other words, it’s ok to try to raise a million and get a billion. It’s not ok to try to raise a billion and get a million….shheeesh…

• Brown has yet to prove that it is serious about entering the 21st Century from the 19th Century before it receives a cent of my money.

At present, giving money to Brown is tantamount to continuing an old, worn-out, uncompetitive model of how to teach at the university level.

As a venture capitalist based in San Francisco, I would like to again be proud of my alma mater. Unfortunately, the Brown of the Magaziner-Maxwell reforms exists no more.

Brown, can you give me ANY good reason why Brown deserves to exist? See https://brownnext250years.wordpress.com/

• Seriously?

Dude, you have got to be the worst alumnus of all time. Any good reason Brown deserves to exist? Wow. You clearly must not have any fond memories or any strong connection to the intellectual tradition that sets Brown apart from its peers. That’s why no one takes your posts seriously; everyone else wants to build on what makes Brown great, not rebuild it in the image of some random “venture capitalist based in San Francisco.” Get another hobby.

• reguru

Amen.

• “…build on what makes Brown great”? Really? And what are those characteristics, nameless person?

“no one takes your posts seriously.” Really? Is that the best you can do? Are we on a Kindergarten playground, or debating the future of Brown.

Listen, nameless person. I’m not trying to “rebuild Brown in [my image]” I didn’t invent social media, nor did I create the competitive challenges that Brown is facing while it (1) charges more tuition than nearly every peer school, (2) is rejected by 40% of those accepted to it, and (3) has the lowest endowment of the Ivy League.

If you feel that Brown is “great,” you need to get your head out of whatever hole it’s in and smell the social media flowers.

Question for you, anon: Why does a 65-year-old Brown alum need to teach you about competition and social media?

• Anon E Mous

We should celebrate our victories. The university should take out a full page ad in the NY Times celebrating alumni Janet Yellin (Chairwoman of the Fed), Jim Kim (President of the World Bank), and Thomas Perez (Secretary of Labor). Too often Brown avoids boasting to appear humble, but it is time to restore pride in our alma mater for capitalistic pursuits along with poets, philosophers and artists. Let’s also create some specific goals in the vision for Brown, such as having the best Economics department in the nation by recruiting the best of the best. We need to have areas of excellence to celebrate or the university will continue its slow downward descent. President Wriston took the university by the scruff of the neck and shook it into greatness. President Paxson must do the same.

• Brown grads earn less money (see recent BDH article). Brown’s reputation has sunk more than any other top university (see Time survey). That’s not “avoiding boasting to appear humble,” but rather a recognition of fact.

Brown is losing in the marketplace. Its brand is tarnishing.

Brown is so far from having the best econ department…have you heard of U of Chicago, Wharton, Stanford or Yale? BIG distance in reputation and ability as compared to Brown.

President Paxson lacks both the vision and the managerial competence to restore Brown. Face facts: our alma mater is failing.

What can we do to restore it? Refer to our articles at: https://brownnext250years.wordpress.com/

• Bobbo

The new campaign is great example of the vitality of the Brown community and the confidence of our alumni in the talents of the Brown faculty, students and staff. I believe it will raise the bar for research, interdisciplinary academic programs, campus infrastructure and campus life. Kudos to the Corporation and President Paxson for developing a vision and plan for a stronger and more prominent Brown.